Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was going down a gravle road yesterday and i took a left turn and my right back wheel fell off. yes that is right it fell off. it broke all of my lug studs and trashed my parking break. i got my studs out and new ones in but i have no idea where to start on my parking break. has anyone had this problem or knows the best way to fix it. any help would be nice.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
What portion of the parking brake assembly was broken? Need more info as I don't understand how the parking brake could be affected as it is inside the rotor.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Check out CourtesyParts.com Then you can see the parts ,I thought it was like a mini drum and shoes?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when my studs broke the tire came off and the rotor hit the ground and acted like the tire. then the rotor came lose destroying everything inside. i found about half the parts the pads, springs, and other parts were a mess. thanks TA CC TX i will chech out that site right now.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I almost did that; Hand tightened the lugs on one wheel , then drove 1100 miles at 70+ mph. I felt something, looked at the wheel ,put air in twice, never rechecked the lugs. They broke off in my sons driveway in the Chicago area (they were 95% failed by fatigue at that time; he found them in the gutter a few days later). When I went to pull the wheel (I had decided it was a bad wheel bearing) there was one lug left.
I assume the fracture faces are flat with "beach" marks = fatigue. Fatigue is caused by not being torqued; I suggest you check torque on your other lugs.
Front studs for a Titan are $15 from Nissan, and $ 1.50 for a Mercury Villager, don't know about rears.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i checked my other wheels and they seemed fine from what i can tell. i might change them all out i don't know yet. i bet someone had to much fun and over tighten them. i am trying to find a kit and a diagram for the parking brake if anyone has any info that would be great. i have found some parts buying them separate but i though some place might have the pads and the springs together.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Did you check the torque with a torque wrench? It would be interesting whether not enough or too much torque was the culprit. My wheel lug nuts are kept torqued to 100 foot pounds. Good idea to check the wheel torque periodically.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts