Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'05 XE 4x4, if it matters...

Backstory - tailpipe section rotted off at the junction, I pulled that before it bounced off into traffic. Muffler section rotted through top & bottom. Time for something new & better.

I am no novice to rusted fasteners and cr&ppy hardware, but this is right up there... I sprayed the nuts with penetrating oil (e.g. PB Blaster) every weekend for a month. Spent last weekend trying to get _one_ nut off. No go.

This weekend I cut them off - I swear, the nuts were welded to the studs... Anyway - the old exhaust is out. (I have all new factory studs, nuts & gaskets.)

And I still have stubs of 4 studs REALLY, REALLY stuck in the cat flanges. More penetrating oil. Lots of heat. Still friggin' stuck. It's now cold and dark on the east coast and it looks like I'll be renting a car to get to work tomorow. I had hoped that once the tension was relieved, the stubs would unscrew a little more easily. It's not working out that way...

So - how do you get the stud stubs out of the cat flanges? It seems like they should have been installed from 'the back' - i.e. - the exhaust side, rather than the engine side, of the flange, and that I ought to be able to unscrew them from that side. (If you have seen an exhaust stud, you know there is an unthreaded section 1/3 the way through.)

Despite my attempts with penetrants and heat, all I'm doing with (good) ViseGrips is slowly shaving the stub thinner and thinner.

I do not want to drill out the studs but I will if I have to.

No welding gear yet, so "just weld on a nut and turn it off with that" is not the answer I need.

Despite logic, should I be trying to screw the stub 'in' to the flange, rather than out?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I feel your pain. It sucks that a truck only 5 years old has fasteners rusted that bad. I would probably end up drilling them out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since all I've done is frustrate myself trying to unscrew them from the exhaust side, I'm thinking maybe they were inserted from the cat side. That _could_ make sense, since it'd keep them from screwing out of the cat when you tried to unscrew the rusted nuts to replace the rusted exhaust... (OTOH - there'd be no reason for the cat end to be threaded at all, which is why I didn't start with this line of thought. _Maybe_ it's so you can screw on 2 nuts to have something to pull them back out - which is what I'll try first...)

And if I'm drilling them out anyway - I've got nothing to lose...

Does anyone _know_ how these studs are threaded into the cats ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts