Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really new at this so please enlighten me...
I thought adding a cat-back exhaust system would give you more power through better fuel efficiency - hence better mileage. Am I wrong? Does the mileage dip while the ecu adjusts and then bounce back up or does it just go down and stay down? While I would love the sound of custom pipes, my real goal is better fuel efficiency. Am I chasing my tail with a cat-back system?

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
You are not going to gain that much. I have installed the Volant intake and have a custom Flowmaster Dual in/ou exhaust set up and it sounds great and looks cool. It gave me about 1mpg better. Not a lot. Some probably get a little better with a tuned cat back system. I had mine done by a local shop though (not a cat back system)
M4ck

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. If it doesn't hurt mileage, I'll probably do it anyway. Do you think a bed cover is worthwhile from the fuel economy standpoint? Do you feel any particular mods are fuel savers? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
I have heard arguments on the bed covers. From what I have read I don't really see drastic improvement. I definately would not spend a ton of money on one. I need easy access to my bed anyway. If I were to get one it would be light and have to roll up or fold up easy and leave me most of the room in the bed for hauling. I don't haul a lot but when I do I want the entire bed. Usually its only hauling things for my dad but he can really load it down sometimes. Maybe MikeZ can jump in on this one. He had the Retrax system. Mike if you read this let us know if you noticed an increase in fuel economy. I personally think that anything to lighten up the truck will help on fuel economy. These trucks are beasts. If there is a way to drop a couple hundred lbs somewhere easy let us know guys.
M4ck

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I carry equipment quite often and drive an average of 400-500 mi/wk for work with overnight stays. For this reason, I plan to get a cover, probably a retractible cover, I already have a toolbox (black diamond-plate - really nice!). I've been looking at the Jack Rabbit but it's pricey.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Where did you get your tool box?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I have an "engineered" cat back exhaust and a bed cover and my gas mileage did not show much improvement. Over time, MPG has slowly been getting better since I bought my Titan last June. Best I have seen since adding both mods is 16 mpg all freeway miles. I will be adding the Air Raid spacer this weekend to see if that will improve mileage any. I don't get too wrapped up about MPG because it is a truck and not a sedan, but with gasoline now above $2.60/gallon here in So Cal I figured it would be worth a try.

·
Banned
775 Posts
Ehh you'll see 1 MPG at best, but go WOT and its out the window, but it'll sound better and will give you a little more power, you may notice it , you may not...they really take effect on a noce dry day at about 50-65 degrees, sometime the truck jst sayys...YOU HAVE TO FLOOR IT cause I feel good today

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have an Extang soft tonneau on my truck, and I am satisfied with it. It breaks the drag at the tailgate without adding any significant weight to the truck (weighs about 10 lbs). It's also easy to unsnap it and roll it up when I need to haul anything. While I don't normally check my MPG, it does help at highway speeds simply because you don't have the drag at the tailgate. There's a caveat to doing exhaust and intake mods to a healthy V-8, and that's resisting the temptation to hammer the pedal. Anything you do to make your engine inhale and exhale better will (theoretically) improve both performance and efficiency, simply because the motor doesn't have to work as hard to achieve the same output. You just have to restrain yourself from whoopin' up on someone every time you get behind the wheel to realize the MPG gains. Good luck with your choice of mods!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SeabeesTitan said:
Where did you get your tool box?
Sorry for not responding right away - been busy. Got it at our local farm store, Theisen's. I've since bought a tonneau cover and removed the tool box. If you're interested, I'd sell it for $180 incl s/h. Paid $269 I think. Not set up for paypal - would prefer cashier's check.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts