Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my setup is from front to back..volant cai, just installed stillen headers,no cats and custom made 2.25 pipes from the headers back to 2 Xlerators turbo mufflers. I went with the xlerators cause i told the guys i did not want anything really really loud as in setting off alarms..and it sounded good well not since i put the headers on and removed the cats its very loud anything over 2k. Now I have uprev on the way. I guess the only options I have is to put in some high flow cats to bring down the noise or new mufflers or maybe an xpipe??..please tell me what you think I should do. I like deep tone my now sounds like a nascar...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
magnaflow 22"

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Adding cats will help some, but the metallic core hi flows won't quite it down much. You should have a X pipe. this should be quieter and give better performance.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Ok my setup is from front to back..volant cai, just installed stillen headers,no cats and custom made 2.25 pipes from the headers back to 2 Xlerators turbo mufflers. I went with the xlerators cause i told the guys i did not want anything really really loud as in setting off alarms..and it sounded good well not since i put the headers on and removed the cats its very loud anything over 2k. Now I have uprev on the way. I guess the only options I have is to put in some high flow cats to bring down the noise or new mufflers or maybe an xpipe??..please tell me what you think I should do. I like deep tone my now sounds like a nascar...

Thanks
It's been my experience that true duals like you have is quieter than a y pipe (unless you are standing on the go pedal) so I wouldn't change that. An X and sone cats will quiet it down alot not to mention help with scavenging so that and some different mufflers. Your freeflowing mufflers are deeper toned than baffled or chambered. Also opening up the pipes a little might help. Taking 2.5" from the turn into some 2.5" SLP Loudmouth Shotgun Series Resonators would be what I'd do.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Sound versus flow

It's been my experience that true duals like you have is quieter than a y pipe (unless you are standing on the go pedal) so I wouldn't change that. An X and sone cats will quiet it down alot not to mention help with scavenging so that and some different mufflers. Your freeflowing mufflers are deeper toned than baffled or chambered. Also opening up the pipes a little might help. Taking 2.5" from the turn into some 2.5" SLP Loudmouth Shotgun Series Resonators would be what I'd do.
Just want to clarify the distinction between sound and flow.

I agree that a baffled muffler is a good thing and would choose it over a free flowing or packed muffler.

A fluid follows the path of least pressure resistance to flow to a point of zero resistance.

A pressure wave is a harmonic vibration that passes through a fluid and is unaffected by the movement of the fluid vector.

It travels only in straight lines until it meets some external resistance.

To use an analogy that was explained to me; a good metaphor would be that of a flashlight beam in a hurricane. No matter how hard the wind blows, the beam of light will never change until it dissipates or reflects off of something.

The resonator would be a good choice and as scr38 stated, adding in cats will help as well...

Buy a helmet and don't worry about it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well for some reason maybe cause its not tuned yet but I dont feel the torque pushing me back when i get on it. and its real raspy. the mufflers i have are new so you think high flow cats and an x pipe will bring it down. my muffler place told me that x pipes are only good if there with in i think he said 13 inches from the headers..

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Titan's are unfortunately rather raspy with just a muffler swap. So far, the changes you have made have made it even more raspy. The 22" Magnaflow is a good start but the rest of your system may overpower the 22" muffler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts