Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2010 titan new in April. It has the chrome rear bumper. I was in the Kansas City area all winter and the vehicle was exposed to snow, sleet, salt and all the other goodies winter brings. After the snow was gone, the chrome rear bumper showed visible rust buildup in a number of places most notably nearest the tailpipe. Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Rust Remover removed all the visible rust. However two weeks later the rust is beginning to build up again on the chrome near the tailpipe. The vehicle has 12,000 miles on it.

Is it reasonable to expect Nissan to fix this? The dealer has said rust is not covered under warranty. I would accept this answer if the vehicle was three years old. However it is less than a year old and has only seen one winter (two months of snow). Chrome bumpers shouldn't show rust this fast. I have a meeting with the Nissan factor rep this week. Am I being unreasonable to ask for a new bumper?

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
i dont think so i had rust on my wheels after a 6 months when i got it and the guy told me it was not bad enough for him to worry about now i thought i was in the right but he didn't warrenty or not i think if its under a year old and it starts to rust it should be on them not use

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
This seems to be a common issue on newer Titans, My 05 has no rust on the chrome bumper and it stays pretty salty all winter.

·
Registered
116 Posts
thats funny that this topic is coming up now! nissan just called me about a hour ago and told me my truck is ready to be picked up! i live in a suburb outside of chicago and my bumper had rust on both corners so i removed it with some cleaner then it reappeared about the same time frame as you (2 weeks) so i took it to the dealer and they wanted to know if i lived next to a railroad yard and i told them NO and they replaced it along with a wheel bearing already! it is a 2010 with about 8500 miles pretty scary!

you may want to look at your rear panels too because i looked at mine and both of them have little specs of rust (looks like rail dust) so when i pick it up tomorrow morning im going to claybar it!

hope that helps! they did replace it though which they should!

·
Registered
317 Posts
all nissans come w/ a 5yr/unlimited mile corrosion warranty. they have to replace it. if there was any defect in the finish from factory a good winter could eat right through it.
but, no, it shouldnt show sighns of rust already.

·
Registered
1 Posts
interesting

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is it reasonable to expect Nissan to fix this? The dealer has said rust is not covered under warranty. I would accept this answer if the vehicle was three years old. However it is less than a year old and has only seen one winter (two months of snow). Chrome bumpers shouldn't show rust this fast. I have a meeting with the Nissan factor rep this week. Am I being unreasonable to ask for a new bumper?

·
Registered
317 Posts
again, its covered...i will try to find proof for you. i know you can find a list of everything that is covered but a corrosion warranty is pretty basic thing.

·
Registered
767 Posts
all nissans come w/ a 5yr/unlimited mile corrosion warranty. they have to replace it. if there was any defect in the finish from factory a good winter could eat right through it.
but, no, it shouldnt show sighns of rust already.
My Titan is an 07 and I don't have this problem. However, my wife has an 07 altima and she has a spot of rust. The dealership told me this warranty only covers if the rust penetrates the metal and creates a hole. Surface rust is not covered. I am not a fan of my local dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
met with Nissan rep

I met with the Nissan Factory Rep yesterday. He looked at the rust while I was doing paperwork inside the waiting area. I had prepared for two days to argue my point, trying to anticipate the various scenarios Nissan might throw at me to dodge the issue. The Rep came in, and before I could get in a word, he said they would remove the surface rust, but if it came back at a later date, they would replace the bumper under the Basic Warranty (36 month, 36,000 miles). I hadn't anticipated this scenario!

Needless to say, if he's true to his word, I continue to be a huge fan of Nissan.

When it comes to customer satisfaction, they seem to get it.

The lesson I learned...If you feel you're in the right on a warranty issue and the dealership is being difficult, get a meeting with the Factory Rep.

I want to thank everyone on this site for their input on this issue!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts