Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered 7/22

McGaughys 2/3 Drop kit from StreetPros.com

PRG Variable Height Shackles
from PRG Products

Bilstein BST Heavy Duty shocks and struts from Shox.com
(Switched to Belltech SP Shocks in Rear from Stylin Trucks 8/21/10)

---------------------
BEFORE AND AFTER
---------------------

---------------------
INSTALL UPDATES W/ PICS
---------------------

Here's the front done, took maybe an hour last tonight (or two, I was drinking)

-------------------------------------------------
Btw, I didn't need the spring compressor putting the new spring on the new strut - put my weight on it and got 3-4 threads ;)

Here's the back install! Took about 3 hours today.

So about 5 hours total for front and back(drinking, eating, breaks)
-------------------------------------------------

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Looks good..Nice job with the pics....are the new rear shocks stock length? I did remove a leaf and need new shocks...

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Thanks!

Yes, shocks are stock length.

Only reason I replaced them was because I had stocks with 80k miles ;)
But shouldn't they be shorter for optimal shock performance? I not a shock expert just need new shocks and was looking for advice...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some have said that the Bilstein HDs shocks are too long on a dropped rear end, but I didn't see a problem with them. Besides I know a dozen or so Titans running the exact same setup for years with no problems. Only noticeable con to this project was that I have more wheel hop caused by the axel wrap and that’s going to happen as long as I have leaf springs. I plan to get some traction bars to keep it put, but in the mean time it doesn't affect my daily driving.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
looks awesome man!
i took the very bottom overload leaf out of my stock leafpack and put it into the new 3" drop leafs to maintain my load capacity and it also doesnt let me get axle wrap or wheel hop. you might want to try that first before you spend loot on traction bars.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!

Smoked, yeah I considered doing that with the overload leaf when I was doing the install, but had axel wrap before, just not as bad. So traction bars may be the best option for me at this point. However, do me a favor and take a picture of the drop leaf pack with the stock overload in it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How does it ride? Well I cut the bump stops in the back in half and left the front bump stops alone in front, the ride is pretty stiff in certain circumstances, but a lot better than stock in other areas.

I guess my question now is why does it look like the rear is sitting lower than the front? Do I need to give the front springs time to break in? If I add the overload leaf back in how much higher is the back going to be? I have the drop shackles on the top hole, which is the lowest setting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i was thinking about getting that kit. i have done the remove a leaf on my rear. you truck dosent seem much lower than mine. i gotta find someone with your set up near me. grrrr decisions decisions lol. also thinking of maybe a 6 in lift:scheibe-big:

Attachments

·
Registered
835 Posts
What all did i see pics of you grinding and cutting? I know alot of folks cut the tabs off when they do the PRG shackle install, but I didnt and have had no issues.

Secondly....I have the PRG street traction bars on my truck before I did the drop, and with the supplied brackets the traction bars hit the frame sometimes on big bumps. I installed my traction bars before the drop, so maybe if they were done after the drop the position of the bracket you weld would be different and ride optimal.

On your shackles you prolly need to put them on the highest setting to get the perfect look. I tried all 3 settings until i got on the last and highest which gave me a perfect height.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i was thinking about getting that kit. i have done the remove a leaf on my rear. you truck dosent seem much lower than mine. i gotta find someone with your set up near me. grrrr decisions decisions lol. also thinking of maybe a 6 in lift:scheibe-big:
If all you did was remove a leaf, then you only leveled the rear with your front. So your still 2" higher in front and back than mine, lol

What all did i see pics of you grinding and cutting? I know alot of folks cut the tabs off when they do the PRG shackle install, but I didnt and have had no issues.

Secondly....I have the PRG street traction bars on my truck before I did the drop, and with the supplied brackets the traction bars hit the frame sometimes on big bumps. I installed my traction bars before te drop, so maybe if they were done after the drop the position of the bracket you weld would be different and ride optimal.

On your shackles you prolly need to put them on the highest setting to get the perfect look. I tried all 3 settings until i got on the last and highest which gave me a perfect height.
Yeah, I grinded the tabs off - they will destroy the bushings otherwise. There's a few threads showing the aftermath by not grinding these off so I didn't take any chances.

My PRG shackles are on the highest hole, which is the lowest setting. The front is starting to level out now, so no worries.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.