Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
SHIFT_Audio/Video_Moderator
3,954 Posts
red_rider_elsinore said:
Are they for the top and bottom arms?
The problem mainly occurs on the lower control arms... but I'm sure you could use them for the top.. or just get the Total Chaos or PRG upper arms.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Pics of issue

You can't bend them that much without heating. The Derlin material is a washer type fix. I am goind to wait and see how the new custom bushings work on the 07 before I do anything. There is no TSB or fix from Nissan.

Attachments

·
High Maintenance FIC
1,109 Posts
SeaTitan said:
You can't bend them that much without heating. The Derlin material is a washer type fix. I am goind to wait and see how the new custom bushings work on the 07 before I do anything. There is no TSB or fix from Nissan.
What are these pics of? Are they just more lower control arm. I see the huge gap. Why couldn't someone just use large grade 8 washers to close the gap?(always looking for the do it yourself fix) I'm assuming all you would ahe to do it one bolt at a time lossen and remve the bolt part way, then insert wsher and retighten? The delren(sp?) spacer, do they prevent noise? How much did anyone pay for them?

·
3,954 Posts
robexploring said:
What are these pics of? Are they just more lower control arm. I see the huge gap. Why couldn't someone just use large grade 8 washers to close the gap?(always looking for the do it yourself fix) I'm assuming all you would ahe to do it one bolt at a time lossen and remve the bolt part way, then insert wsher and retighten? The delren(sp?) spacer, do they prevent noise? How much did anyone pay for them?
the washers would cause excessive wear of the bolts and surrounding metal. You have to realize how much stress these things exhibit Rob. Delrin will act more like a bumper, and is very strong at the same time. I gotta call Greg and get these things ordered finally.. what a prcrastinator I am sometimes.

·
High Maintenance FIC
1,109 Posts
Blue_Water_Rush said:
the washers would cause excessive wear of the bolts and surrounding metal. You have to realize how much stress these things exhibit Rob. Delrin will act more like a bumper, and is very strong at the same time. I gotta call Greg and get these things ordered finally.. what a prcrastinator I am sometimes.
Keep us updated. I think I may need this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok more pics with better point of refrence would be good, just so I can be sure what I'm looking at. From what I see though why couldn't someone make a polyeurethane(spelling) bushing that would be in two u shaped pieces and you just clamp it around the bolt in the gap and have a bolt on each side to tighten it together? Maybe make a rubber portion in the center for shock absorbsion and hard outter for strength. That way it would be a very quick easy reliable fix. Also if I find I have this problem on my '05 CC BT(should it be there?) I am going to the dealership and demanding it get fixed under warranty! Why are you guys spending your own time and money on it and not demanding a fix from Nissan? Just curious not being a know it all or dick, maybe just am missing something.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I sure am glad you guys found this! I have not looked and mine is 2wd but am pretty sure my truck has this problem. Also if I turn off the radio while riding on a rough road, not really bumpy, I hear a rattle that sounds like something is loose in the suspension. I'll bet the loose rack bushing is why the truck hunts all over the road. I blamed the goodyear tires when they might not be the problem. Y'all are just in time too, I am in serious need of tires and was going to get it aligned for nothing if it has this problem. Now it needs to stop raining so I can get under there and check. I can't wait to rub this in the service managers face at Giles. Jackass finally just agreed with me that all Titan drive like **** and goodyear tires were crap so I would get out of his face without him fixing anything. It's a shame when a person has to discover the problem for his dealer to fix it.
Between the brakes shaking and the loose front end, and lack of service at the dealer I had decided that my next truck would not be a Titan, now I will have to see.
James

·
Registered
173 Posts
After reading through this whole thread, I know now what my suspension's wondering problem is and the solution, thanks cats. I don't think that the dealer is going to be very helpful. I'll get with PRG for the fix.

L

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have the 7 year 100,000 mile warranty. The dealer might not be very helpful but I won't be the only one pissed off about it. I will make sure they do something.
James

Can you post more info about the modified ford spring bushings for when my dealer does deny anything is wrong I can upgrade it myself.
James

·
Registered
26 Posts
Suspension Noise

i've got an 06 CC. I've lowered it using the McGy's 2/3 kit and added billstein shocks. I've got front end clunking. It occurs going over expansion joints and is really obnocious when traversing speed bumps. Sounds like something is loose but upon checking I can't find anything. It begins at the front wheels and seems to reverbate to just under the driver's seat.

Could the problem be the lower control arms? The gap in mine does not appear to be as large as what's in the pictures posted. Is it possible to place the vehicle on a rack and force the wheels up and down to replicate the sound?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have this problem on my 08. I have 6 issues that are going to be fixed on thursday or maybe ill get the problem could not be found!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
my knockning sound comes from my pasenger side and happens anytime i am on a rough road. i thought it was my pc leveling kit but i retighten everything and still nothing. my question is if i change out the passenger side should i change out the driver side. could this be the reason that i only got 32,000 out of my stock tires? i also notice that my truck pulls pretty good to which ever way the road is slanted.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
wet11383 said:
From what I see though why couldn't someone make a polyeurethane(spelling) bushing that would be in two u shaped pieces and you just clamp it around the bolt in the gap and have a bolt on each side to tighten it together?
The 'gap' is typically less than 1/4", which would require fasteners about an 1/8" dia. or probably smaller.

The delrin spacer's that PRG sells sound pretty easy to install, just take one bolt out at a time. If you take a sharpie or nail polish (preferably some color other than black) and mark both the alignment cam on the bolt, as well as the frame, you shouldn't have to have things re-aligned afterwards. That's my take on the situation anyway.

·
3,954 Posts
54warrior said:
The 'gap' is typically less than 1/4", which would require fasteners about an 1/8" dia. or probably smaller.

The delrin spacer's that PRG sells sound pretty easy to install, just take one bolt out at a time. If you take a sharpie or nail polish (preferably some color other than black) and mark both the alignment cam on the bolt, as well as the frame, you shouldn't have to have things re-aligned afterwards. That's my take on the situation anyway.
You'll have to separate the upper ball joint and remove the coil to take the tension off the upper and lower link, then tie the steering knuckle off with a rope, and then you can work each mounting bolt one at a time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Suspension Noise

I took my Titan and had it up on a rack for an hour and we, meaning myself and the tech couldn't find anything to account for the noise. He did say that because the truck was lowered it changed the angles of front end components that could create a noise.

We lifted wheels with a crowbar by prying etc. all to no avial in terms of duplication the noise. BTW he did drive the truck first and was blown away by the noises it makes. His initial thoughts were loose shocks which did not prove to be the case.

He said this truck makes Fords look good. They have a problem with that short link creating front end noise.

McGaugeys and Bilstein claim their products have not been reported to cause such problems on the Titan. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not this could be an alignment problem?

Has anyone installed the spacers and solved the problem?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Front end "clunk"

I was having the same front end clunk that you guy's were having, it ended up being a bad shock on the drivers side. I put on a set of S.A.W.'s and the clunk disappeared. The only way to check the shock, was to have it removed from the spring.

Dave

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
did the spacers work? have the Ford mods worked?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't know if anyone is still looking for the alignment issue but I found tsb 05097, which reads as follows:

NHTSA No.:10017472

TSB Date: July 11, 2007

Date Added to file: November 8, 2005

Failing component:
Suspension

Summary:
Cam bolts for front wheel alignment. Updated 09-12-07

Edit: I should have read more before posting this, I am an idiot

21 - 40 of 51 Posts