Nissan Titan Forum banner

Finally found front end issue

34K views 50 replies 28 participants last post by  G man 
#1 ·
Took truck to shop this morning. They called because 07 Titan had a control arm bushing issue and wanted to see if I had same problem. I needed oil change anyway. Turns out I do have same issue.

Studs for control arm bushings are poor design, much longer than actual bushing. This allows for forward movement of up to 1/2" on end of control arm. This can cause excessive tire wear and premature failure of control arm / ball joint units.

I have already replaced my control arm / ball joints on my 05. Rack bushings had the same design issue, but I replaced them with modified Ford pick up, leaf spring bushings about a year ago. It was a good fix.

Nissan knew about the issue when they called on the 07. I am gonna let the shop have truck for a few days to come up with a good solution.

Others going crazy on tire wear, alignment, pull issues may want to check this out.

#3 ·
SeaTitan said:
Took truck to shop this morning. They called because 07 Titan had a control arm bushing issue and wanted to see if I had same problem. I needed oil change anyway. Turns out I do have same issue.

Studs for control arm bushings are poor design, much longer than actual bushing. This allows for forward movement of up to 1/2" on end of control arm. This can cause excessive tire wear and premature failure of control arm / ball joint units.

I have already replaced my control arm / ball joints on my 05. Rack bushings had the same design issue, but I replaced them with modified Ford pick up, leaf spring bushings about a year ago. It was a good fix.

Nissan knew about the issue when they called on the 07. I am gonna let the shop have truck for a few days to come up with a good solution.

Others going crazy on tire wear, alignment, pull issues may want to check this out.
Had big time tire wear issues on my 07. The front tires where wearing out really fast on the outer parts of the tire... now that i have changed to 22's I can not tell if it is still doing the same.

#4 ·
Stopped Raining - Got pics

Finally got pics (I'm definitely not a photographer or mechanic). You might be able to see the wear on stud where bushing moves. Either side can move at anytime causing tire were, vibration in front end. What is worse is that it can moves back, so when you check for the issue, alignment, etc. there is nothing wrong. Gonna get a fix next week.

Attachments

#5 ·
When I spoke with Greg (PRG) at the Jersey Meet, he mentioned this very issue. If memory serves, he told me that he sells delrin (or similar material) donuts to insert in there to prevent the arm from walking back/forth. Might give him a call and see what he can come up with for you.

#6 ·
Is this on all 07's? I notice from time to time that I can have some major pull to the left.

#8 ·
YES, I think it's an every titan problem. They are all mfg'd the same, aren't they??? I've never looked that closely at mine though, so can't say for sure.

#9 ·
I'm trying to understand the problem. Are you saying that the rubber bushing inside the end of the control arm can slide back and forth on the cylinder that it is mounted on?

I'm looking at your first picture and I see shiny metal on the right side of the bushing. So it looks like the control arm has slid forward in this picture.

#10 · (Edited)
That's what is happening..

It especially, slides back toward rear when driving in 4wd on beach or trail. Torque from front wheels must be pulling it back. When you go back to 2wd it slowly makes its way back forward. Each side moves independently, so left could be 1/4" forward, right 1/4" back, causes intermittent pull, usually when braking. I was only losing tires after being on the beach for several days.

One reply stated that PRG had donuts to install to remedy issue, therefore somebody knows about it. I have an 05 and the other truck is an 07. I think we should have heard about it before now.

Did anybody turn the wheel and take a look yet. Just wondering how many have seen this issue lifted or not.

#12 ·
Bump.

Any update on this? I have confirmed that this is causing my truck to pull one way or the other. Turning in 4 wheel drive is crazy, and my tires are wearing badly on the outside.

I have been searching for a solution and am not having much luck.

#13 ·
Update

I was at Custom Shop today. They have two sets of new bushings ready for an 07 and my 05. I am heading to Florida on Thursday, but they are installing on 07 same day. Greg at PRG has sent email on donut fix as well. I am getting the new bushings when I return in November.

Also keep in mind both of trucks had sloppy rack bushings. Both have been replaced with modified Ford pick up leaf spring bushings. The 07 was completed 3 weeks ago, mine were completed 30k ago and still solid. I'll get shop to post picks on their site, or call Ron, Owner at 410-272-7988
www.thecustomshopautomotive.com

#14 ·
Thanks ST!

I have contacted Greg about about the Delrin bushings. Maybe I can get the dealer to reimburse me, lol.

Sloppy rack bushings as well? Man that sucks.

#15 ·
Ok, two questions. Is there a TSB on this?(Too lazy to look)

Why can'tyou just tighten the bolts more and squeeze the bushing mount steel together so it will have no room to move? And yes, that steel will bend with enough force. What kind of problem would this cause that I am not thinking about. Of course you would have to align after.

Can anyone get picks of the rack bushings talked about?

#16 ·
robexploring said:
Ok, two questions. Is there a TSB on this?(Too lazy to look)

Why can'tyou just tighten the bolts more and squeeze the bushing mount steel together so it will have no room to move? And yes, that steel will bend with enough force. What kind of problem would this cause that I am not thinking about. Of course you would have to align after.

Can anyone get picks of the rack bushings talked about?
No TSB on the '07 for this. Didn't check previous years.

I could try to tighten the bolts with my impact wrench, but I would be afraid the bolt would snap long before anything bent.

I only have 16k on my truck and outer edge of my front tires are so cupped you would think my struts where toast. Not to mention the severe pull one way or the other and then its fine again. Nissan should fix this problem.

#17 ·
I have this same issue. I too talked to Greg at the Jersey meet, and I have yet to call him for the delrin spacers. Delrin is a very strong material.. way better than nylon or polyurethane.. and can handle heat very well. The guide bearings on the router bits I use for solid surface countertop and sink bowl fabrications are made of delrin.

#18 ·
I noticed there is gap on the top arms and bottom arms. So is the best option to just get the donuts or delvrin bushings from PRG?

#19 ·
red_rider_elsinore said:
I noticed there is gap on the top arms and bottom arms. So is the best option to just get the donuts or delvrin bushings from PRG?
The DELRIN spacers are just that. They are not bushings. They are more like washers that take up the end gap of the bushing to the bushing mount (cross member). They keep the arm from sliding back and forth across the mounting bolt and bushing.

#20 ·
Are they for the top and bottom arms?

#21 ·
red_rider_elsinore said:
Are they for the top and bottom arms?
The problem mainly occurs on the lower control arms... but I'm sure you could use them for the top.. or just get the Total Chaos or PRG upper arms.

#23 ·
SeaTitan said:
You can't bend them that much without heating. The Derlin material is a washer type fix. I am goind to wait and see how the new custom bushings work on the 07 before I do anything. There is no TSB or fix from Nissan.
What are these pics of? Are they just more lower control arm. I see the huge gap. Why couldn't someone just use large grade 8 washers to close the gap?(always looking for the do it yourself fix) I'm assuming all you would ahe to do it one bolt at a time lossen and remve the bolt part way, then insert wsher and retighten? The delren(sp?) spacer, do they prevent noise? How much did anyone pay for them?

#24 ·
robexploring said:
What are these pics of? Are they just more lower control arm. I see the huge gap. Why couldn't someone just use large grade 8 washers to close the gap?(always looking for the do it yourself fix) I'm assuming all you would ahe to do it one bolt at a time lossen and remve the bolt part way, then insert wsher and retighten? The delren(sp?) spacer, do they prevent noise? How much did anyone pay for them?
the washers would cause excessive wear of the bolts and surrounding metal. You have to realize how much stress these things exhibit Rob. Delrin will act more like a bumper, and is very strong at the same time. I gotta call Greg and get these things ordered finally.. what a prcrastinator I am sometimes.

#25 ·
Blue_Water_Rush said:
the washers would cause excessive wear of the bolts and surrounding metal. You have to realize how much stress these things exhibit Rob. Delrin will act more like a bumper, and is very strong at the same time. I gotta call Greg and get these things ordered finally.. what a prcrastinator I am sometimes.
Keep us updated. I think I may need this.

#26 ·
Ok more pics with better point of refrence would be good, just so I can be sure what I'm looking at. From what I see though why couldn't someone make a polyeurethane(spelling) bushing that would be in two u shaped pieces and you just clamp it around the bolt in the gap and have a bolt on each side to tighten it together? Maybe make a rubber portion in the center for shock absorbsion and hard outter for strength. That way it would be a very quick easy reliable fix. Also if I find I have this problem on my '05 CC BT(should it be there?) I am going to the dealership and demanding it get fixed under warranty! Why are you guys spending your own time and money on it and not demanding a fix from Nissan? Just curious not being a know it all or dick, maybe just am missing something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.