Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my first oil change at 2200 miles I hate to drive too much on the first oil. First I noticed how much it quieted the motor. maybe I should have changed it sooner??. I had them put in synthetic blend Quaker state. I have had good luck with this in other cars I own. Also I had them check the rear differential oil as some have had issues with it. It was full and looked fine. I have had no problems with my truck except the low tire warning on a very cold day. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
Cool. :) I changed mine at 2kmi with Mobil1 and also noticed it was a lot quiter. I still have to change the diff fluid, but I'll do that before spring.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,842 Posts
I got the same thing on really cold days. the rest of the time the tires are fine.
M4ck
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,246 Posts
Don't wait too long before changing those diffs! We have been seeing a lot of metal on the magnets on initial changes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
BiXLL said:
Don't wait too long before changing those diffs! We have been seeing a lot of metal on the magnets on initial changes!
I know, I know.... Ok fine, I'll go to the auto parts store today! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
First oil change happens Friday - I should hit 3,500 by then. You guys went synthetic right away? I have read elsewhere allow a couple of "standard" oil changes before going synthetic to allow everything to seal-in right.

Thoughts? - Jim
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,246 Posts
JimB said:
First oil change happens Friday - I should hit 3,500 by then. You guys went synthetic right away? I have read elsewhere allow a couple of "standard" oil changes before going synthetic to allow everything to seal-in right.

Thoughts? - Jim
That is something that has been debated back and forth for a long time, not only with auto engines, but also marine. I used to be very heavy into the PWC racing scene. Some engine builders would swear by breakin with deino oil, some went synthetic as soon as motor was put together. My own opinion is that 2 to 3 thousand miles is going to allow todays rings to seat, and I switched over at first change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
Gotcha on that first change deal.
Synthetic 10/40? Just curious...

Also - please save me a trip through the archives fellas and ladies -- SIX QUARTS with filter?? I believe that's what I've read/what's in the owner's manual (you know how factual that read is!!!)

-- Jim
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,842 Posts
Its odd some people are filling up full with 6 some it takes 6 1/2 I have even heard a few that didn't fill full till 7. You will have to see with yours. They all seem to have a little variation. No idea why.
M4ck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
Same thing on my motorcycle. Mine takes 5 quarts -- dead even. I fill it 4.5 quarts -- crank it and let it run for a minute or two -- shut it off, fill to five. Dipstick is DEAD ON FULL!

Other guys post they're fine at 4, 4 1/2, some 5 1/2. Weird.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
m4ck said:
Its odd some people are filling up full with 6 some it takes 6 1/2 I have even heard a few that didn't fill full till 7. You will have to see with yours. They all seem to have a little variation. No idea why.
M4ck
This has been anoyther on of those debates. Mine took 7 1/2 quarts and that is to the top mark, not over. Strange.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,842 Posts
Just curious. If you were to only put the 6 in that the manual says. And had it done like that wherever you go to get it done (or when you do it yourself if you do) being that you in essence would be filling it up over 1qt short for your Titan would this cause a problem?
M4ck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,705 Posts
6.5 is low for me, it takes 7 to fill it up. i just switched my oil from mobil 1 5w30 to mobil 1 0w40. i asked jt which of the 2 was better and he said the 0w40, also had some oil samples for both :D very helpful
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
m4ck said:
Just curious. If you were to only put the 6 in that the manual says. And had it done like that wherever you go to get it done (or when you do it yourself if you do) being that you in essence would be filling it up over 1qt short for your Titan would this cause a problem?
M4ck
Good question?? 6 quarts doesn't even touch the dipstick on my truck so I wouldn't even think of trying it. :) I wonder if there is a way to ask an actual nissan engineer, not a tech?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
JimB said:
Gotcha on that first change deal.
Synthetic 10/40? Just curious...

Also - please save me a trip through the archives fellas and ladies -- SIX QUARTS with filter?? I believe that's what I've read/what's in the owner's manual (you know how factual that read is!!!)

-- Jim
My owner's manual says 6 1/2 quarts, US measure, with filter change.

Also, normal operating level is anywhere between the two marks, not necessarily to the top mark. [Also check after engine is cooled down for 10 minutes, like after pumping gas].
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,319 Posts
QWIKWHIP said:
m4ck said:
Its odd some people are filling up full with 6 some it takes 6 1/2 I have even heard a few that didn't fill full till 7. You will have to see with yours. They all seem to have a little variation. No idea why.
M4ck
This has been anoyther on of those debates. Mine took 7 1/2 quarts and that is to the top mark, not over. Strange.
Wow....7.5qts! I was reading the service manual earlier today and it states 7.0 for a dry motor, 6.0 w/o filter change, 6.5 with filter change. Strange how there's so much variation.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top