Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I've been a member of this board for a couple of years, but this is my first post. I bought a 2008 Titan Crew Cab, 7 foot bed, 2wd a couple of years ago, liked it really well, discovered this board, then ordered a 2010 Pro-4X King Cab with the shorter bed, because it looks better and is way more manueverable in town, as far as parking, turning etc. After looking, reading and listening to you folks on here, I decided to do 4 things: Injen CAI, Bully Dog GT Tuner, MagnaFlow Duals, and a PRG 2" leveling kit. Got it all done in time, completing the tuner and levelling kit about the same time. Now however, with those two last things done, my mileage has DROPPED from 16 or so to 14, on the highway. Any suggestions? Could the levelling kit have messed up the stock aerodynamics? Or maybe the duals caused it?Or the Tuner? And you know, I do not like my truck as well with the mods! The exhaust is TOO loud, with the front fift kit, I cannot see over the hood as well so parking and avoiding close obstacles is more difficult, and I really cannot tell that it runs all that much better. BUT, it sure does look good, and I get a lot of compliments, so it's not all bad. But the gas mileage sure has me bothered; where did I screw up? Thanks, George McMahan, in Lubbock, Texas

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
i'll throw in a opinion. I'm not a fan of the level truck look just for those reasons, but i don't think its the cause of your mpg drop. I have the Injen, and it did nothing but help. however, my 04 can't have the Bully Dog Tune so i can't tell ya about that being the issue. do you have Y-pipe exhaust or True dual pipes running from the cats?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exhaust

Thanks for the reply! It has true duals, app. 2 1/4 inch diameter out of each CC, into one dual inlet muffler, then about 3 inch pipes from the back of the muffler. It sounded good at first, but the noise is beginning to annoy me; had some bikes like that when I was younger that sounded really good, but don't like that as much now.

·
Registered
317 Posts
set the tune back to stock and give it a little bit and see what happens. if the mpg stays the same or gets worse, take it to the stealership and have them take a look at your fuel/air tables. obviously, dont tell them you had it tuned. you didnt damage the MAF or get it a little dirty did you?? everything you did should have improved MPG. lol your not lead footin it are you?

btw...i have a 2010 KC 2wd and get about 15-15.5 with a mix of traffic and highway. i have an intake only. your not too far off, but for all highway it seems pretty low w/ stock tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I will try that. My onboard Nissan computer and the BD read-out both showed 14 or less, and I carefully measured and calculated on my last trip, full tank when I left, full tank when I got home, app. 430 miles, and sure enough, 14. This is a trip that I've made from Lubbock to the other side of Austin for years; I do lead foot it, 70-75 but have done it that way for years, on many other trucks, including my other Nissan and my various Chevy's, Dodges, Fords, etc. and have almost always got 16 or so.
Removing the program is the easiest, so a good frirst step, and I will check the MAF, it may have gotten dirty as you suggest. Thanks, George

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks, I will try that. My onboard Nissan computer and the BD read-out both showed 14 or less, and I carefully measured and calculated on my last trip, full tank when I left, full tank when I got home, app. 430 miles, and sure enough, 14. This is a trip that I've made from Lubbock to the other side of Austin for years; I do lead foot it, 70-75 but have done it that way for years, on many other trucks, including my other Nissan and my various Chevy's, Dodges, Fords, etc. and have almost always got 16 or so.
Removing the program is the easiest, so a good frirst step, and I will check the MAF, it may have gotten dirty as you suggest. Thanks, George
Holy crap man all I have is a superchips programer and even all highway I've never seen more then 345 miles on one tank... That really has me worried now... :puke:

·
Registered
153 Posts
if you're getting 430 miles to a tank your mileage is way better than 14. But i agree with above posts that what you have should have done nothing but help, unless you're hard on the pedal which sounds like you might be.

·
Registered
153 Posts
even if you plowed through 25 gallons of gas and got that kind of mileage it still adds up to over 17 mpg.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is some misunderstanding here; my TRIP was 422 miles, not 430, I rounded up. I actually used 28.56 gallons on that leg, so that is closer to 15. But my TOTAL trip was 911.5 miles, and I used 65.231, for 13.97 average. I had a pretty good head wind each way and quite a bit of rain, but the rain slowed me down, which should have helped my mileage. That 15 coming back isn't too bad; maybe I'm over-reacting, but it sure got better mileage without all the mods.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Your getting WAY WAY better gas mileage than most...I get about 330-350 a full tank, on 8 gallons of gas I go 89ish miles

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, in that case, maybe I should follow the advice that Eddie Gossage gave to the Nascar drivers at TMS one time, and "just shut up and drive!" :)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Well I did see a little better gas when I got dyno tuned

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
its cool that you are wanting to get it figured out. you don't want anything that would bring the truck down. despite all of the hype and testimonies you here about a certain brand, some may really not be good for your setup. I would start with the cheaper reversal and see what it gets you. the chip back to stock, putting back in the stock air intake, and so forth........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone that responded; I'm going to do some playing with adjustments, mods, etc this weekend

1 - 14 of 14 Posts