Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came out of Wal Mart yesterday afternoon and walked by the front of the Titan and BAM what is that. On the Passenger side of front bumper there is this scratch deep and black. At first I thought it may have been a mangled bug so I got closer to see. Then I thought well maybe it was some road tar got slung up on the bumper. Wrong. Its not huge but it sure sucks. How can I fix this on my own. Im hoping I can clean it up a little cause it went all the way down into the plastic bumper. Almost like it chipped the paint right out. Can I sand it down a little maybe and use some touch up paint or something. I don't want to have to take it to a shop if I can do it myself. Any help guys
thanks. Oh yeh I'll get a picture in a minute and add to this post.

M4ck

Attachments

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
ouch that sucks, i feel your pain. when i went 4x4ing i had some tree branches run down the side of the truck. to get these out i just buffed if out, but your beyond that. you can try to clean the area with a light grit sandpaper and use some touch up paint. dealer will sand it all down smooth and shoot the area and blend it into the truck in about a 1-2 foot radius. you could check to see if the make the touch up paint in a spray, but I think its a brush on. depending on how deep your gouge is the brush on might be able to fill it, then just give it a good buffing.
hope that helps

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I feel for you. That's an ugly scratch. Buff it then touch it up with paint is all I can think of.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what I can't figure out is what would have scratched it like this. I was only in the store for a few minutes. I always park out away from everything. Away from the buggy corral and when I saw the scratch I started looking around to see if there was anyone around looking or maybe a car beside me that had my paint on it. There were a couple cars that decided to park beside me but I could see anything on their vehicles. I can't tell if a buggy could have done this or not. Its a wierd looking scratch.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Man that sux, its ashame how some people have no respect for someone elses vehicle. It only takes a minute for someone to get ya in a parking lot, even if ya park away from someone, someone else will get right up on ya. Touch up will disguise it from a distance, but to get it done right have a body shop do it. I feel for ya ma4ck :(

·
Registered
255 Posts
Josh,
On my last toyota I had a scratch similar to yours. I did some light wet sanding (800 grit wet/dry paper)and then went and bought a bottle of touch up paint from dealer. I then went to walmart ( I know, ironic you will have to go back there to fix this!!)and bought a el cheapo air brush and used it to apply paint. It came out pretty good. Good enough that you had to look real close to see anything.
The trick is the sanding. You are ready for paint when you can run your finger over area and not feel anything but smoothness.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
MikeZ said:
Josh,
On my last toyota I had a scratch similar to yours. I did some light wet sanding (800 grit wet/dry paper)and then went and bought a bottle of touch up paint from dealer. I then went to walmart ( I know, ironic you will have to go back there to fix this!!)and bought a el cheapo air brush and used it to apply paint. It came out pretty good. Good enough that you had to look real close to see anything.
The trick is the sanding. You are ready for paint when you can run your finger over area and not feel anything but smoothness.
That's exactly what I was going to suggest also. Made MANY repairs like that when I had my lil frontier. Sanding IS the important part, for sure. Good luck.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i too have a scatch but its on my rear bumper and it looks like the paint on the bumper just got taken off, because its still smooth (it might even be paint from the other car) but i was wondering what should be done, i dont think there is any real heavy sanding needed, but my titan is white and like a flat gray bumper where could i get this touch up paint and how much does it run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts