Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 04 has the RF stereo and keeps going from stereo to mono. Is it just a bad ground for the antenna internally on the unit? I'm not quite to the point of swapping head units and would like to just resolve this on my own.

Thanks!:thumbsup-big:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my reasoning for thinking it reception related it, the truck struggles to pick up some local stations and the output works fine on cd/aux. the only difference for between the sources is the antenna is utilized for am/fm. And I've seen this behavior in vehicles with a bad antenna connection. Just wanted to get some input before I tear into the truck.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
I seems my 04 picks up every station with in 100 miles, but they all sound horrible...if you figure it out let us know....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I noticed it right away on my '04. It "sums" when it senses loss of stereo which in my opinion is way too sensetive! I'm am not impressed with the stock HU at all. The difference between radio, CD & Aux is ridiculous! I will be replacing it as soon as possible. I'd save the time & effort in trying to fix it, because I think it's a design characteristic of the HU.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I noticed it right away on my '04. It "sums" when it senses loss of stereo which in my opinion is way too sensetive! I'm am not impressed with the stock HU at all. The difference between radio, CD & Aux is ridiculous! I will be replacing it as soon as possible. I'd save the time & effort in trying to fix it, because I think it's a design characteristic of the HU.
Nissan issues a TSB and it just involves replacing the radio with a new one as their was a problem with them. If it's what I'm thinking it should take 1-2 hours labor. I'll keep you posted, I just gotta finish up some things on my drive train first.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you're hoping for a HU whos FM quality sounds like a CD....I think you're going to be highly disappointed. But...it shouldn't be switching from stereo to mono on it's own.
I'm not expecting the am/fm to be near cd quality, just need the reception to improve so that it stops going from stereo to mono all the time. Please it struggles to pick up a couple station that are very close to the truck. All of this indicates a problem with the antenna at some point in this system and i would put money on it's internal on the headunit.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I'm not expecting the am/fm to be near cd quality, just need the reception to improve so that it stops going from stereo to mono all the time. Please it struggles to pick up a couple station that are very close to the truck. All of this indicates a problem with the antenna at some point in this system and i would put money on it's internal on the headunit.
If it sucks that bad at picking up local stations then I'd get it replaced. I was just always afraid to go aftermarket because I've heard too many horror stories from people who did so and all kinds of dash lights came on etc. I've have the dealer replace it and see what happens...IF it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I run my own mobile electronics business. I'm not upgrading the head unit until I've got the rest of the truck in order. As far as the reception issue it shouldn't be a horrible fix as long as it's not something wrong with a circuit board for the head unit and is in fact just an issue with the antenna. The truck is out of warranty and Nissan claims replacing the unit will run about $800-$1000. During the winter it's going to have a full nav/video setup installed. Right now I'm just undercoating the truck, going through the drive train, repairing some body damage, and swapping the current leather to Katskinz.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so on titantalk, i found a write up on how to fix this and so far it seems to have worked. Basically you pop the cover off the radio brain box and adjust a small dial labeled rf102 inside the unit until the selected radio station comes in better. While I had the unit opened, I also moved the ant. contacts in abit to make a better connection with the antenna. On my 45 minute drive today it worked great!

I'll keep everyone posted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.