Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back system is in......finished install yesterday afternoon. Looks, sounds great. I really like the 70 series muff that the kit comes with; in-cab drone is only slightly more than stock, but outside sound is really nice. See Caltitan's video clips to see/hear this system. Be careful though, you may find yourself reaching for your credit card shortly afterwards.....at least that's kinda how it went for me!

Had all the joints welded this afternoon for $20. I didn't weld the tips, in case I want to switch to something else later. The Flow tips are pretty nice though. I went with the rear exits, as opposed to side exiting behind the rear wheels. Both options are included with kit.

Planning another dyno after installing the Volant and Airraid TB spacer. Seat of the pants feels about the same as the AeroTurbine system I had in previously, but I wasn't expecting any better performance from the Flow system, just a different sound.

Kit was $417 shipped from Summitracing.com. PN#17406

·
Registered
177 Posts
RockyMtnTitan said:
Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back system is in......finished install yesterday afternoon. Looks, sounds great. I really like the 70 series muff that the kit comes with; in-cab drone is only slightly more than stock, but outside sound is really nice. See Caltitan's video clips to see/hear this system. Be careful though, you may find yourself reaching for your credit card shortly afterwards.....at least that's kinda how it went for me!

Had all the joints welded this afternoon for $20. I didn't weld the tips, in case I want to switch to something else later. The Flow tips are pretty nice though. I went with the rear exits, as opposed to side exiting behind the rear wheels. Both options are included with kit.

Planning another dyno after installing the Volant and Airraid TB spacer. Seat of the pants feels about the same as the AeroTurbine system I had in previously, but I wasn't expecting any better performance from the Flow system, just a different sound.

Congrats RMT,

I admit I like the sound of the Flo better than the Gibson. I do like the performance that the Gibson gave me but the sound just doesn't do anything for me so I like you am replacing my muffler again and ordered a Borla instead of the Flo after hearing a Borla on the Titan. The Flo sounds just as good to me to...

I too will dyno again and we shall see.

Peace,

Mike

·
Registered
893 Posts
I finished mine about a week ago. I went with the side out option and didn't use the flowmaster tips. I think they look like pea shooters. I went with the Gibson 3 1/2" slant cut instead. As for the sound, it is awesome when you start it and when you accelerate. It idles with a nice deep burble. Depending on throttle position or rpm, it can be really quiet or a little loud inside. When cruising on the freeway at 70-75 mph the drone can get annoying to me a little bit, but overall, I like the system.My rear hanger setup is different than Caltitan's. I'll post some pics later.

·
Registered
177 Posts
m95roadster said:
I finished mine about a week ago. I went with the side out option and didn't use the flowmaster tips. I think they look like pea shooters. I went with the Gibson 3 1/2" slant cut instead. As for the sound, it is awesome when you start it and when you accelerate. It idles with a nice deep burble. Depending on throttle position or rpm, it can be really quiet or a little loud inside. When cruising on the freeway at 70-75 mph the drone can get annoying to me a little bit, but overall, I like the system.My rear hanger setup is different than Caltitan's. I'll post some pics later.
Cool so you have a Flomaster-Gibson hybrid and me a Borla-Gibson hybrid. You might say are setup is unique. :lol:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finnattic said:
RockyMtnTitan said:

Congrats RMT,

I admit I like the sound of the Flo better than the Gibson. I do like the performance that the Gibson gave me but the sound just doesn't do anything for me so I like you am replacing my muffler again and ordered a Borla instead of the Flo after hearing a Borla on the Titan. The Flo sounds just as good to me to...

Peace,

Mike
Finn......how ya been, man! Haven't chatted with ya in a while.

Yeah, I heard that same mean-soundin Titan with the Borla you're referring to. Wicked sound....very unique. Are you keeping the Gibson piping and just swappin muffs? That seems like the most affordable scenario w/ the Borla. Their cat-back SS system is like $900! We'll have to compare dynos after you get yours.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
m95roadster said:
Yeah, Gibson does make some nice tips. I've been eyeing some SS double slant cuts from Hedman....but still looking. On the rear hanger, did you mount it differently? I used Cal's pic and it worked out great for me. Seriously, I would have prob spent another half hour tryin to figure that mount out w/o his pic! Nice system.....lame instructions.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
RockyMtnTitan said:
...I used Cal's pic and it worked out great for me. Seriously, I would have prob spent another half hour tryin to figure that mount out w/o his pic! Nice system.....lame instructions.
Yeah, I spent the extra time figuring it out and posted that pic so others wouldn't have to go through what I did. Glad you like the dual kit so far. I still enjoy mine. I agree that the start-up is awesome on these Titans when you put a more agressive exhaust on them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
RockyMtnTitan said:
Finnattic said:
RockyMtnTitan said:

Congrats RMT,

Peace,

Mike
Finn......how ya been, man! Haven't chatted with ya in a while.

Yeah, I heard that same mean-soundin Titan with the Borla you're referring to. Wicked sound....very unique. Are you keeping the Gibson piping and just swappin muffs? That seems like the most affordable scenario w/ the Borla. Their cat-back SS system is like $900! We'll have to compare dynos after you get yours.
Been laying low man,

That Flo is a nice setup, if it was available when all this mod madness begun who knows...

Yes I'm keeping the Gibson piping or at least that's the plan. The Borla outlets are 2.25 and the Gibson piping is 2.5 so some retro will be needed.

I'm looking for a more aggressive, unique sound and the Borla won't disappoint from what I've heard.

Gonna be interesting to compare performance #'s since the dyno shown the Gibson was a good performer, just not the sound I'm quite looking for.

I'll certainly post the sounds, pics and dyno results and compare them to the Gibson, Flo.

Just another reason to dyno, you know...

Hello, my name is Mike and yes, I'm a "Dynoholic." :lol:

Until next time Bud...

Mike

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finnattic said:
Hello, my name is Mike and yes, I'm a "Dynoholic." :lol:
Yes, it is addictive. Just wish it was a little cheaper. I need to talk my guy into one of those punch cards...."buy 3 dynos and your 4th is free"... :lol:

Take care man....

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
m95roadster said:
BTW, I'll be picking up the AEM Bruteforce intake tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Those tips look nice. I too am planning on adding the AEM intake instead of the Volant. Just have to spend money on a few other priorities first. Looking forward to hear how both the AEM and the Volant work with the Flowmaster kit.

·
Registered
601 Posts
RockyMtnTitan said:
Seat of the pants feels about the same as the AeroTurbine system I had in previously, but I wasn't expecting any better performance from the Flow system, just a different sound.
Just out of curiosity, what did you do with your old aero setup?

Mine is still sitting in the garage waiting to cut and welded as soon as I can hook up with my welding buddy. It has only been a few months, but I'm sure he'll be available soon! :roll:

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've got the Borla system on mine, and I have to say I'm loving the way it sounds. You can hear it, but its not an overbearing sound.

·
Registered
893 Posts
QWIKWHIP said:
Hmm, I'm not too impressed with that cross pipe hanging down that exit's out the driver side. :?: :?:
The reason it looks that way is because I had just lowered the truck (2 / 4 inches). It really changed the position of the exhaust which I now have to readjust again.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
m95roadster said:
QWIKWHIP said:
Hmm, I'm not too impressed with that cross pipe hanging down that exit's out the driver side. :?: :?:
The reason it looks that way is because I had just lowered the truck (2 / 4 inches). It really changed the position of the exhaust which I now have to readjust again.
Oh, but I thought that the exhaust would stay in the same position with the spare? It looks almost like a body lift would.

·
Registered
893 Posts
QWIKWHIP said:
m95roadster said:
QWIKWHIP said:
Oh, but I thought that the exhaust would stay in the same position with the spare? It looks almost like a body lift would.
In the pic I do have the rear diff. jacked up so it appears the pipe sits low.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
m95roadster....thanks for the pics of your Flow system. Looks like you did the ds rear mount differently than Cali and me. I think either way works pretty decent. I did have a problem with the hanger wanting to creep occasionally, so I had a washer welded in place on the end yesterday to keep it in place.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts