Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I found out I had to change all my fluids every 30k to keep my lifetime power train warranty, right now I'm at 29,500. Nissan wanted $820 to do this so... ya I'm gonna do it myself. Expressed to the parts guy I lived 50 miles away and I didn't want to come back due to a quart low on something or wrong stuff. He assured me everything I got was right and I left. When I got home I realized the transfer case took Matic D not S in which I got all Matic S and none of D. :damn:

My question for you guys is the Matic S just a synthetic version of D and if so will it be fine for the transfer case?

Btw I stopped at the parts store and got mobil 1 75w90 for the front diff and 75w140 mobil 1 for the rear diff but thought it would be better to keep oem stuff in trans and transfer.

Thanks, guys

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
cmon guys no one can help me with this? I called 3 different local nissan dealers and all of them kinda gave different answers. I plan on doing this saturday so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Ok so I found out I had to change all my fluids every 30k to keep my lifetime power train warranty, right now I'm at 29,500. Nissan wanted $820 to do this so... ya I'm gonna do it myself. Expressed to the parts guy I lived 50 miles away and I didn't want to come back due to a quart low on something or wrong stuff. He assured me everything I got was right and I left. When I got home I realized the transfer case took Matic D not S in which I got all Matic S and none of D. :damn:

My question for you guys is the Matic S just a synthetic version of D and if so will it be fine for the transfer case?

Btw I stopped at the parts store and got mobil 1 75w90 for the front diff and 75w140 mobil 1 for the rear diff but thought it would be better to keep oem stuff in trans and transfer.

Thanks, guys
Both are synthetic I believe. Use whichever the owners manual calls for however......you'll lose your lifetime powertrain warranty if the dealer doesn't do it BUT....$820 is for what?..my guess is it includes MANY things not in the maintainance schedule. Have them do ONLY whats required by Nissan and they then have to honor their lifetime warranty. My dealer offers the same warranty but I do all my own stuff because all tolled, it'll cost me less to do it and all the money I save would pay for a new engine if needed..lol.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I searched around here on the forum for answers to your question and this is what I found. Matic J was the original OEM transmission fluid specified for the Titan. After a time Nissan changed the name of the transmission fluid to Matic S but according to what I read on this forum, there is no difference between Matic J and Matic S.

Matic D on the other hand is specified for the transfer case and is different than both Matic J and Matic D.

I cannot attest to the accuracy of the above information as the information written is a synopsis of what was gathered from various thread from my search on this forum using the search term "matic".

I'm editing this post to add a link that you might want to read. Scale down the page about half way to the part, automatic transmission fluids: http://www.nissantechnews.com/pages/article.php?id=109

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I searched around here on the forum for answers to your question and this is what I found. Matic J was the original OEM transmission fluid specified for the Titan. After a time Nissan changed the name of the transmission fluid to Matic S but according to what I read on this forum, there is no difference between Matic J and Matic S.

Matic D on the other hand is specified for the transfer case and is different than both Matic J and Matic D.

I cannot attest to the accuracy of the above information as the information written is a synopsis of what was gathered from various thread from my search on this forum using the search term "matic".

I'm editing this post to add a link that you might want to read. Scale down the page about half way to the part, automatic transmission fluids: http://www.nissantechnews.com/pages/article.php?id=109
Thank you for your help but I have Matic S for the tranny which is what is called for my only question is since the dealer gave me the wrong stuff will Matic S also work in the transfer? Even though the manual says D

Both are synthetic I believe. Use whichever the owners manual calls for however......you'll lose your lifetime powertrain warranty if the dealer doesn't do it BUT....$820 is for what?..my guess is it includes MANY things not in the maintainance schedule. Have them do ONLY whats required by Nissan and they then have to honor their lifetime warranty. My dealer offers the same warranty but I do all my own stuff because all tolled, it'll cost me less to do it and all the money I save would pay for a new engine if needed..lol.
My dealer is ok with people doing their own mantainence in fact I change my own oil because I prefer synthetic, but you have to have receipts that indicate the mileage in which is was changed... The same is true for the vital fluids.

The 820 bucks was for only the stuff which had to be done. Coolant,transfer,diffs,transmission. Since I really cant afford 820 bucks every 30k miles and the thought that they are making that much money for just turning a wrech and draining fluid is the reason I decided to do it myself.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
From what I was told, NO, they are not both full synthetic and NO it is not ok to use Matic-S in the Transfer Case... Matic-D is a predecessor to Matic-J and Matic-J was the first Full Synthetic... That's what I was told, anyway... I know Matic-D was used in some 2000-2004 Transmissions... I wanted to use Matic-S in my Transfer Case but a Nissan Tech told me that the viscosity is different and it could likely cause damage...

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Cool. Just MAKE SURE they'll still honor their "lifetime" powertrain warranty, because even though the receipts will prove you've maintained it (in case you have any sort of failure), my local dealer says ALL work MUST be done by them in order to keep that warranty intact...that's how they get their money and how they can afford to offer that kind of warranty. It's a dealer warranty, not a Nissan warranty. Just BE SURE!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Pops!

Cool. Just MAKE SURE they'll still honor their "lifetime" powertrain warranty, because even though the receipts will prove you've maintained it (in case you have any sort of failure), my local dealer says ALL work MUST be done by them in order to keep that warranty intact...that's how they get their money and how they can afford to offer that kind of warranty. It's a dealer warranty, not a Nissan warranty. Just BE SURE!
Yes I'm sure thats what they said anyways the warranty is one reason I bought the truck and they even said as long as I had fluid purchase reciepts with the mileage on them they would even honor a small shop (such as a small lube shop) doing such things as these. But its kind of a hassle I guess keeping up with all this junk, but if I plan on keeping it a long time maybe its worth it.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
You're lucky. My dealer HAS to do the work. I said "phuk that"...lol
I asked mine to double check my work after I changed all the fluids and they found I shorted the Transmission a 1/2 quart so they topped it off for me. They're AWESOME!!! - hehe :D

·
Registered
612 Posts
I just checked my receipts from Kelly Nissan in Easton, PA from the 30,000 mile service they did last year -- they replaced all the fluids for $451.00, but the receipt doesn't state the type of "matic" fluids used. They did use Mobil 1 in the engine and in the rear diff. I did the wiper blades, just bought new tires. They checked the brakes, found 70%of linings & pads left.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I asked mine to double check my work after I changed all the fluids and they found I shorted the Transmission a 1/2 quart so they topped it off for me. They're AWESOME!!! - hehe :D
Yeah, mine would do the same thing probably. But in order to take advantage of their sales pitch of a lifetime powertrain warranty, they have to do ALL the work. That's how they make their money and can offer such a warranty. They're not giving a shyt that it was done and done right...lol.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well fellas I just completed my changes of all the fluids today except the transmission because I couldn't figure out where the fluid goes in at??? Does it pour in down the dipstick hole? Thought it wouldnt be wise to drain it if I couldnt figure out where to put it back in at. I decided not to put the matic S in the transfer I just went and bought mobil 1 ATF which states it works in place of matic D so atleast I know that for reassurance. I had nothing that stated the matic S worked in place of matic D. For you that haven't changed your fluids the rear diff front diff and transfer case were a peice of cake. (besides getting fluid on me and all over the pavement outside lol)
The only thing unexpecting that I had was removing the oil pan skid plate to get to the fill hole on the front diff.

Was alot of metal hanging onto the magnets on the front and rear diffs plugs as they were full and I had to scrape it off.

Ive been told the first diff change is the worst do to gears getting broke in and such... I hope so because after 30k miles I sure did get alot of particles out.:traurig-big:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
765 Posts
Matic J & S is made to meet the Jatco specs. Jatco makes the tranny in our truck. Matic D is made to meet the Dexton III / Mercon spec that is required for the (non Jatco) transfer case. Matic S was nothing more than a new spec for the former Matic J fluid. They are identical fluids. Nissan introduced the "S" so that all the aftermarket companys that made a matic J compliant fluid would have to start all over again with expensive testing and documentation to prove they meet the new specs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts