Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to hook up the fog lights to come on with just the parking lights? I like to drive with just my parking lights on right before it gets fully dark in the evening.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
i like to do the same thing, thats a realy good Question. can anybody help?

G

·
I think there is a way, but its sure not easy. All the lights are controlled by relays. The relays get a signal from the IDPM E/R that turns them on. There are outputs from the IDPM E/R for each relay. There is an output for the fog lights, the headlights, the parking/tail lights, etc. If you disconnected the wire from the IDPM E/R fog light terminal and connected it to the park/tail light terminal then the fog lights would come on with the park lights, but that is the only time they would come on. If you wired in a SPST switch then you could select from normal operation or fogs on with parking lights. You will have to study the schematic to identify the proper wires to make this modification.
NOTE: I have not done this, but after looking at the system I feel sure it will work. Do this at your own risk!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I haven't done it yet, but i have it figured out on how i want to do it.
1.) Figure out the 12 volt and ground side at the fogs. Cut the wires there.

2.) Run a 15/20 amp fused 12 volt constant to the fogs.

3.) Using a relay, the wire coming from the parking lights will go to 85, i will ground 86 as well as 30, 87 will go to the ground side of the fogs.

This is just one way of doing it, there are many different ways .....You can also ground the lights and use the relay to through 12 volts to them.

With this set-up, the lights will come on EVERYTIME the parking lights are on.

·
Registered
153 Posts
scr38 said:
I think there is a way, but its sure not easy. All the lights are controlled by relays. The relays get a signal from the IDPM E/R that turns them on. There are outputs from the IDPM E/R for each relay. There is an output for the fog lights, the headlights, the parking/tail lights, etc. If you disconnected the wire from the IDPM E/R fog light terminal and connected it to the park/tail light terminal then the fog lights would come on with the park l
NOTE: I have not done this, but after looking at the system I feel sure it will work. Do this at your own risk!

I personally wouldn't get in to all that.....if you do it the way i described, all you are doing is using the output of the parking lights to energize a relay which in turn activates the fogs.

FUSES of course are the most important thing!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
That will work if the only time you want the fogs to be on is when the parking lights are on. Of course you could wire in a switch to select either way.
The method I described doesn't take any additional relays or fuses, but your method is easier..
On the fog lights the white/red wire is +, the black wire is ground.
On the park lights the red/light blue wire is +, the black is ground.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Why not Bypass them altogether with their own circuit and turn them off or on Whenever?!
Locate the switch in one of the Blanks under the A/C controls?

Or, is that TOO Old-fashioned? :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
153 Posts
I personally want them set up to be automatic...........turn on the lights they are on, turn off the lights they are off. I can't think of any reason that I would not want them on. I never turn them off now. This way they are always on--- low beams, high beams,

·
Registered
722 Posts
I know this thread has been inactive for a while, but I was wondering if you electical types that understand auto wiring would agree that you could wire both the parking and fog lights in parallel. What that means to me is splice both lights together.
Since they run off separate relays, then when the parking light relay is energized, both lights come on because they are fed by the parking light relay. The electricity would not feed past the fog light relay, because it's open.
Then when the fog light relay is energized, the parking light relay is de-energized and again, both lights would work.
Is this possible?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Its better to keep them on Separate Circuits unless your gonna replace the Relays.
'Cuz, if the Existing Relays cannot handle the "Load", you're gonna Burn a Relay or Two.

It would be best to Bypass the Fog light Circuit to a Different On/Off switch, that way you have the "Option" to turn them On/Off as YOU Decide.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Tattoomee said:
Its better to keep them on Separate Circuits unless your gonna replace the Relays.
'Cuz, if the Existing Relays cannot handle the "Load", you're gonna Burn a Relay or Two.

It would be best to Bypass the Fog light Circuit to a Different On/Off switch, that way you have the "Option" to turn them On/Off as YOU Decide.
Do you know how to find out about the current rating of the relays?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
...put an Amp-probe on a wire and Crank up the Amps til it Blows? LOL!!

Most relays will have a Rating on the side of the part. But, I don't know about the stock parts.
(I personally don't like to run the Fog lights unless its Foggy outside.)

Re-wire the Fogs to a separate switch.
Unless you like to spend "Countless" hours Searching through a Factory Wiring harness for the reason why "Something" doesn't work because you changed the way it was "Supposed" to work. :beating:

·
Banned
1,287 Posts
Tattoomee said:

Man you're old! Today we want it to be auto or nothing!!!!!!! HAHAHA

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
TheSquid said:
Tattoomee said:

Man you're old! Today we want it to be auto or nothing!!!!!!! HAHAHA
I Wrote that back in July, so then that means I'm older?!! :crying:

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I think when I get my fog lights, I'll do it the way I did when I was kid on my old cars and just wire it to its own switch. I prefer it that way cause, at least I don't have to worry about changing factory specs & wiring. We use to put the fog lights behind the grill and cruise. They weren't very effective(light wise) behind the grill but, it looked COOL!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts