Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in the process of researching what new tires to buy. I have a 09 LE and from the factory the came with 275/20’s. I pretty much had my mind made up that I was going to buy the Nitto Terr Gapp 302/55/20’s. But after that 2 things happened and I am going with the stock size:

1. The tire weight is 20 lbs more per tire and that does kill some of your wheel horsepower (9.5 per 10lbs) not that I’m going to the strip but if you consider how much people pay for the addition of 20 rwhp it is a turn off and I like to at least have as much rwhp as came with the truck. But…. I was still on the fence on buying the 305’s.

2. A buddy of mine bought the 11’ Tundra Texas Edition it comes with 20” BBS rims that have Michelin 305/50’s on them. Looking at the two next to each other I could not really see a big enough visual difference to justify the 305’s over the 275’s (rwhp loss and extra price). I took a couple of pictures and yes you can see a difference but it is minimal.

Hope this helps in your decision!

Attachments

·
Registered
682 Posts
Interesting comparison! I also stayed with stock, plenty big for me!

-Lab

·
Registered
97 Posts
yea most of the difference is the width and thats only an inch or so.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting comparison! I also stayed with stock, plenty big for me!

-Lab
Thanks Lab! Since we have the same truck, you are a great source of information. So, do you like those Coopers? I looked at them on Discount Tires and they are a nice looking tire- are they quiet?

·
Registered
23 Posts
FYI..
305/55R20/10 NITTO TERRA GRAPLR is a E/load rang(LT) tire, thus is why the weight is so much more then the stock standerd tire. The side walls are constructed for a 3/4 ton to a 1 ton chas truck. And the ride would be stiffer then the stock 4 ply tire. Wich is (P)metric.
A 305/50R20 NIT TERRA GRAPLR is the way to go. And the differance in size is 32inch for the 305/50 and 33.07inch for the 305/55.
So yes there is a big change in hight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks Lab! Since we have the same truck, you are a great source of information. So, do you like those Coopers? I looked at them on Discount Tires and they are a nice looking tire- are they quiet?
Coopers are being sued right now.:puke:

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's what I do. Happy to help.:thumbsup-big:

Some time next year I will be getting 22's something in black.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have been in the process of researching what new tires to buy. I have a 09 LE and from the factory the came with 275/20’s. I pretty much had my mind made up that I was going to buy the Nitto Terr Gapp 302/55/20’s. But after that 2 things happened and I am going with the stock size:

1. The tire weight is 20 lbs more per tire and that does kill some of your wheel horsepower (9.5 per 10lbs) not that I’m going to the strip but if you consider how much people pay for the addition of 20 rwhp it is a turn off and I like to at least have as much rwhp as came with the truck. But…. I was still on the fence on buying the 305’s.

Hope this helps in your decision!
I actually have a 09 with LE 20's and are still on the fence about this same topic... super glad you posted it. My tires are still good but when I change it will not be a lame highway terrain tire however I think MT's are too agressive for me. My question is with me having the 2.94 gears if I go to a 305 AT lets say BFGs will it affect my torque convertor lockup? and if so enough to cause excessive mpg loss or transmission wear? Im on the fence as well and don't know if Im gonna go back to the stock size just in a different tire or go to 305s just to make it look better with the leveling kit. Sorry so many questions Ive come from a manual transmission for years and years and am confused with all this talk of lock up and stuff and how it would affect what tires I will buy. Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I actually have a 09 with LE 20's and are still on the fence about this same topic... super glad you posted it. My tires are still good but when I change it will not be a lame highway terrain tire however I think MT's are too agressive for me. My question is with me having the 2.94 gears if I go to a 305 AT lets say BFGs will it affect my torque convertor lockup? and if so enough to cause excessive mpg loss or transmission wear? Im on the fence as well and don't know if Im gonna go back to the stock size just in a different tire or go to 305s just to make it look better with the leveling kit. Sorry so many questions Ive come from a manual transmission for years and years and am confused with all this talk of lock up and stuff and how it would affect what tires I will buy. Thanks

I'm not much of a 4x4 guy so I can't really say yes or no; that it would effect your drive train. But you have 33's on there now so as long as your not going to a 35 and larger then you should be fine.
Keep in mind that as you go bigger in tires you lose MPG and lower power. it's the whole mas rotation thing. The bigger the tire the longer it takes to rotate=slower starts, also =more fuel delivery so lose of MPG.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Not as quiet as the stock Goodyear SR-As, but still very quiet for an agressive tread!

-Lab

·
Registered
682 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts