Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my son home from school today and a dude in a Ford Lighting started to get a little froggy. Unfortunately I couldn't mess with him because I don't like to drive fast with my son in the carseat in back. Anyone have any info on the Lighning? It looked like a pretty nice truck.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Was it the '04 SVT Lighting body style? If so he's supercharged. Given his behavior he probably knew he could outrun your Titan. It's one thing to have a fast truck and enjoy it, but another thing to always be challenging anyone else in a nice truck just because they happen to be going in the same direction.

·
SHIFT_chicks-rule!
1,988 Posts
I don't know any tech. stuff, but I think it has a supercharged 5.4. From what I've seen at Hallet, they are pretty fast.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I've driven an 02, and an 04 lightning and yes they are crazy fast for a truck. It would take a little bit of money in a titan, or a lot of lack of maintenece in a lightning to get them to run together. The Titan feels much more refined than either of the lightnings I've driven, even the owner of the 02 lightning said he would prefer the Titan if he used the Lightning anywhere other than the track and the occasionally "sunday" drive.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The Ford will run low 14s and 0 to 60 in 5.4. It is easy to mod the s/c engine to run in the 13s. He would smoke you but he only has a reg cab and two wheel drive.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
KYFHO,

Deepest respects for letting him go :D :D :D

So now you guys are telling me there is something out there faster than my truck :?: :?: :?:

:D :D :D

Chief

·
Registered
870 Posts
correcting my earlier post(just got off the phone with one of the owners) the lightnings I've driven are an 02, and an 03(not 04), and they both have a supercharged 5.4 liter.

·
Registered
235 Posts
give me a supercharger n lets see how he holds up then, bu hahahahahah :twisted:

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm running high 13s and get crushed when racing the Lightnings around here. Of course, they aren't stock and I don't blame them. Exhaust and a pulley are about all that's needed to run low 13s in one providing you can get the traction.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
my buddy has a lightning with a kennybelle blower on it pushin 850 ft lbs. and pullin the wheels off the ground, runnin in the high 10's low 11's. stock ive seen them with just a drop in K&n run mid 13's.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ya but the Viper Truck will give the lighting a run for its money. Not that I like Dodges, but that thing is sick.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
i agree

·
Registered
38 Posts
IMO, Lightning sucks!
First, it's cheaper than our truck.
Second it's a domestic..just look at how it depreciate.
third yes it's fast but the reason for to get a truck is not because of how fast it is.You want a fast car, a sport car insted of a truck.
4th it's 2wd..and the body style is ugly

·
SHIFT_chicks-rule!
1,988 Posts
MrSiLeNT said:
Ya but the Viper Truck will give the lighting a run for its money. Not that I like Dodges, but that thing is sick.
Only until you have to turn it :lol: The Viper will only go fast strait.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Please enlighten me if you would...and excuse me...but I thought all Lightnings were "blowin'" (excuse the pun) :wink: Are they not all...supercharged???

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the info. Personally I would think the Lightening would have a reliability problem within the first couple years of it being new (as with any other domestic vehicle I have owned).

·
Registered
411 Posts
The first lightnings came out in 1993 and had a naturally aspirated 351W engine. I don't really remember how long they were out in that configuration until changing to the superchargers.

Like them or hate them, they are still the fastest thing out there (especially for the money) and have a pretty good aftermarket. Personally, I'd buy a used corvette if I was buying a std cab truck to try and go fast. Granted I'm modding mine but it serves several other purposes as well that a vette could never do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The first Lightnings where 93-95 and where about as fast as a Titan, maybe a little slower. They handled surprisingly well. The 93 I had would blow peoples minds when they saw how fast it would go around corners. The gas mileage(it came with 4:10 gears) was much worse than my Titan. All the 2nd generation Lightnings where supercharged 5.4s with 360HP the first few years and 380 after they made a few changes like a larger inter-cooler.

I think the SRT10 is an extremely cool truck but the price is just ridiculous. If you're just looking for a fast truck, get a used Lightning and put a few grand in performance upgrades and hang on.

With all this talk about fast trucks reminds me, I wish they'd hurry up with the Titan supercharger kits! :lol:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts