Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Titan people.

I have a 2008 Frontier SE KC 2wd 5A with 3600 miles on it and have a chance to trade it straight across for a 2005 Titan LE 4wd CC with everything except the DVD system...it does have the Nav system. It's got 78000 miles...yes, that's right...78K...kinda high for an 05 I know. Oh...it's got the bench instead of the cap'ns chairs (which I prefer anyway). Yes, it's in leather...lol.

My question is this: should I do it? Mileage with the Fronty has been around 17-18mpg being VERY easy on the throttle. Reliability has been shaky on the Titan according to JD Power and Consumer Reports. I like the Titan's vast list of features...it's WAY more truck than the Fronty. Do I NEED the Titan's size? Nope. It's got a v8 and it's loaded to the gills...that's really what I like about it compared to the Fronty. Oh...and the Fronty's center console armrest is absolutely useless and the V6 sounds like a toy. Other than that, I like the Fronty...it's just not quite what I want...but it's got a full warranty!

Help me out, people!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Not too many people on this site are going to go against a Titan.. I say get a Titan, you'll be happy you did.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
go for it lol!!! i friggin love my truck and love driving it whenever i can....i would probably be more economical and maybe smarter to stay with the fronty, but i love my truck so much i have to tell you to do it lol!!....sounds like you got a nice new fronty, but if your gonna be paying for it and drive in it then you might as well love it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured I'd get alot of "go for it" responses...lol. I guess what I really need to know is if it's reliability issues are well-founded? I mean, the Fronty gets really good reliability ratings and the Titans' are in the toilet...what's up with that?

I LIKE my Fronty...but I certainly don't LOVE it...and yes, I agree that I'm paying for it so I should LOVE it. I thought I could get used to the cheap plastic interior, inferior stereo and useless armrest...but those things are really bugging me!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Why not get a new titan. there some rebates on them... maybe an xe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figure if I'm going to get rid of the Fronty, it's gonna be for a fully loaded Titan...which leaves only used rigs to keep the payment the same. That $5000 rebate looks awfully nice, though!!

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
well the Titan probably gets crappy reliability rating because of its minor issues and recalls....i know the 04-06's had rear-end problems (which i never had but can be fixed with a Detroit Tru-track)...then the axle seals leaking, then brake judder, then you got the AC fan recall....I never had anything serious with my T...i had the axle seals replaced under warranty, but thats it....the motor is sweet

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
pascoz28 said:
I figure if I'm going to get rid of the Fronty, it's gonna be for a fully loaded Titan...which leaves only used rigs to keep the payment the same. That $5000 rebate looks awfully nice, though!!

get the LE.. that's what i have, and love the features it has.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have had no problems what so ever w/ my 05 Titan. Had the recalls done here and there but I don't count those as problems seeing they were corrected for anything did/might have happened.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i would say go for it. i test drove a fronty when was test driving a titan. the titan is so much better. and i havent had any problems with titan so far so go for it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
o-fivecc said:
well the Titan probably gets crappy reliability rating because of its minor issues and recalls....i know the 04-06's had rear-end problems (which i never had but can be fixed with a Detroit Tru-track)...then the axle seals leaking, then brake judder, then you got the AC fan recall....I never had anything serious with my T...i had the axle seals replaced under warranty, but thats it....the motor is sweet
Rear end problems could be a major issue, no? Axle seals shouldn't be that hard to replace...correct me if I'm wrong. If there are any outstanding recalls I should be able to have them performed at the dealership regardless of mileage, right?

I'm leaning towards the Titan, dammit...lol.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
well the rear end blowing out would suck lol...but just get a Detroit Tru-Track LSD...they are very fun and replace the Titans weak spider gears

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok..so I've done some reading about the brakes and the rear end issues. Seems like the brake shudder was limited to the 04s and early 05s and some dealers are willing to put on new rotors at no charge.

The rear end issue seems to cover the same year range but is a recurring problem. I'm not really excited about spending almost $20K and then having to put another $1000 into the rear end...potentially.

With 78K miles on this particular Titan, wouldn't the brake and rear end issues have been taken care of by now? From what I've read, if the brakes pulsate at all...they're most likely on their way out (would be on any rig if that happens) and if there's any whining or serious clunking from the rear end, it's going too. Is this pretty much it?

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
So how much are they offering for the Frontier/asking for the Titan?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I say buy the Titan !

I've had my '04 since new and the only thing I needed was the "brake fix", they fixed it when the truck had about 10k on the clock and it has been giving me great service ever since.

From what I understand the blown rearends were mainly the rearends that came in the Big Tow and/or the Off Road packages.

Plus, the mpg is very, very close between the Frontier & Titan. You get ALOT more truck with the Titan.

I love my Titan !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I told 'em I didn't care what they were asking for the Titan...I offered them my Frontier and "ZERO" cash for the Titan and they took it. Not at first, mind you, but I was gettin in the Fronty to drive away when they counteroffered and they came to their senses...lol. They were asking $19,999 for the Titan...we never really discussed a figure for the Fronty but they know I owe $19,700 on it and they're paying it off. I figure they paid around $13K for the Titan when they took it on trade.

This truck does have the Off Road package...but again, if the rear end was gonna go, wouldn't it have already happened with that many miles on it?

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
dang you can get a brand new 08 for 19,999...at least around here you can......i actually saw a used 08 for 15k in autotrader the other day

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
o-fivecc said:
dang you can get a brand new 08 for 19,999...at least around here you can......i actually saw a used 08 for 15k in autotrader the other day
LOL...not a fully loaded LE 4x4 CC...and like I've said, if I'm gonna get rid of the Fronty, it's gonna be for a LOADED Titan...

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
I would wait for the same deal on an 06 or confirm that the axle on this 05 has been replaced with the updated 06 or 08.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts