Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had to replace their _entire_ gas tank because a small animal chewed holes in the 16 inches of plastic line that run out of it? It has happened to both of my Titans and is a serious issue. I've reported it to the NHTSA because it deals with the fuel tank, but was wondering if anyone else had the issue.

Thanks.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'd venture to say that Nissan doesn't sell just the line but sells it as an assembly, this is why the dealer says you need to replace the whole thing. If you go to an auto store, they will probably have the tube in stock and just cut to length.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The issue here for me is that there is a fuel line that is apparently made of a fiber attractive to small animals. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience. I do not have the time to replace this part on my own. Additionally, the line is fused to the tank through a high heat process, making the repair a void of warranty, apparently.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got back from the dealer. The hose that was eaten was the fuel return line. It travels in a steel pipe to the vicinity of the gas tank and then travels the last 12 or so inches in a plastic hose. Small animals like mice can eat this pipe, and chose to do so even though it carries fuel. I will try to post pictures later (I have pics from both lines from both Titans.) Still interested to know if anyone has had this type of problem.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
There is no fuel return line on our vehicles. Coming out of the tank are the fuel line from the pump (which is inside the tank) to the injectors, the line to the EVAP canister, the fill tube and the vent for the fill tube. There is also line that runs from the engine to the EVAP canister. This may be the one you are having the problem with.
The fuel line is all plastic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I made sure to talk to the Nissan technicians that worked on this problem. Attached are some pictures that show one of the gas tanks, along with the hose. Identical problem on the other truck. They said that the large hole on top is where most of the pipes are located. Perhaps they don't know exactly what they are talking about. I sure don't. Any information on what that little pipe is would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
The large hole is where the pump is inserted, and the fuel line comes out there, as well as electrical wiring. The line that has been damaged is the filler vent line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, Nissan denied any coverage and won't assist me with the issue. That means I've paid appx. $2,000 for repairs on two Titans with a combined mileage of 7K. If these lines weren't designed to be fused to the tank (none of the other lines into the gas tank are), this problem wouldn't exist. Certainly the decision by Nissan to make no accommodation when I've already had to have warranted repairs completed on one of the Titans will affect my future truck purchasing choices. Hopefully Ford has a more sensibly designed vehicle, or at least they will acknowledge when their design flaw is resulting in a consumer having to pay outlandish sums for repairs to minor issues. Very disappointing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts