Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,
I encountered a problem while traveling home on Sat. I started to pass another vehicle and the truck started to "stutter", let off the gas a bit, got around 'em and drove as normal as can be. I later approached a stop light. Slowed down and when got the green to go, I tried to accelerate and same "stuttering". This same thing happened when I slowed for a vehicle so they could make a right turn. Foot on gas to accelerate and same stutter or jerking whichever. Strange that when I do pick up speed it drives normal no shaking, jerking or anything. Some say fuel pump. Some say fuel filter. Some say bad plug. Any suggestions or a point in a direction to investigate would be appreciated. My truck is a 2006 Titan, 4x4, CC, 136,000 miles.....yes 136,000 miles on it. Thanks again.

BTW: If it happens to be the fuel pump any suggestions on how to replace it.
Thanks again. DBJ

·
Registered
894 Posts
If it was a bad plug, it'd throw a check engine light. Mine did the same in cyl 6 'missfire'

Could be a fuel pump.. could be a tranny problem.

Does it only do this while driving? Or will it also do it when in Park? That will narrow it down to if it's the Tranny or not..

Heck.. it may even be an IPDM starting to go out lol plenty of those frying up these days in the 04-06 trims!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jarvis, thanks for the reply. Not sure if it does it while parked. I'll have to try it and get back with you. When I tried to pass I was already doing about 60mph and it happened. Also how would I test the IPDM?

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
I'm gonna through my 2 cents in. I'd say pump. haven't happened to me yet, but the reading i've done says that OR the IPDM. either way, gonna cost you. the IPDM is the cheaper way to go, if you do searches on the forums you can find more info on it and where to get one. It supposed to be VERY easy to replace. the fuel pump. like most vehicles, you'll have to drop the tank. and i was not aware we had fuel filters. where is that hiding?

BTW, I am NO mechanic. thats just what i think is the prob. for all i know it could be a plug, O2 sensor or even bad fuel.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
you know what i did not want to post this because im to stuborn but this happend to me to just like you said how it stutered i freeked my wife out, it hapend when i came back from leave from san antonio to Ft polk i thought the T was going to shut down, once when i piled out the trans mition got stuck in N(well at lest i thought i did after i peald out and took off the T seemed to stay in N untill i turned off the T and turned it back on ANY INPUT???

·
Registered
612 Posts
Can you put a code reader on it and let us know what trouble codes its showing?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to try and wiggle the driveshaft. Who knows..

Also it possible the rearend is about to fail.. Really too many ideas with little idea of exactly what's going on.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
99% of bad fuel pumps just stop working because of how they're designed. That's not to say it's impossible but it soulds like you're being thrown into a limp home mode, either by the engine or the tranny. And it may only do it while under a load. Check for a code...you do not have to have an engine light to have a stored code. That light only comes on for a repeated failure.
A bad plug will/should cause a misfire code. Same goes for a bad coil/wire etc. Could be something as simple as a sensor but again, I'd check for codes. Let us know when you do find out for sure.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
well i guess it was a bad fuel pump, I took it into Nissan today and they tested it out and told me it was that and ordered me a new one (warranty)

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Good! I'm glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yeah watch out.. I remember the last few years reading guys "it was the fuel pump"..then a couple weeks later, they have the same issue and IIRC it was the IPDM

Hopefully that was the issue..but again, there have been too many guys whos dealers said the same, and it turns out it was something else.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
well i did a log today and im running 14-15 AFR at WOT.....not good, i WAS at a good 12.3ish

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi All,
A small update on my Titan. As someone inquired about the problem only happening if I'm driving or it hesitates while parked. I tried starting the truck but the engine began to shake violently like it was about to fall apart. I immediately turned it off and waited a few minutes, tried again but it won't start now. You get the click to start but there is a mechanical whine afterwards. No turning. Hope I didn't do anything serious. I'm trying to get someone over to look at it to help me diagnose. As I looked in the engine I noticed a sticker in the engine bay the said the truck had an anti-theft device and will not start when engaged. Any ideas would be appreciated. DBJ

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
well i hooket it up to read some codes and i got P1574 ASCD (Automatic Speed Control Device)...yeah you where right HudsonValleyTitan there was no check engine light

and before the service guy did say it MIGHT me a bad IPDM

·
Registered
178 Posts
My guess is IPDM or bad battery/terminal. Many other members have had this happen when the IPDM was bad. Doing a simple relay swap and changing out the ecu relay for the fog light relay will diagnose this problem. When I had this happen (stutter on the highway, entered limp mode, then truck stalled out) it ended up being a bad battery that caused this. Bad battery = intermittent power to the ecu = stuttering and limp mode. If the new fuel pump doesn't fix your issue, I would check out those possibilities before getting too worried.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
well i hooket it up to read some codes and i got P1574 ASCD (Automatic Speed Control Device)...yeah you where right HudsonValleyTitan there was no check engine light

and before the service guy did say it MIGHT me a bad IPDM
Sorry to hear that. I thought you were squared away.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I thought you were squared away.
I am getting a new fuel pump thow :) and maby ill get a new IPDM to:)....will that mess up my Uprev?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Let em' put in the new fuel pump regardless...can't hurt and you'll have a new pump..lol. You'll probably also get the upgraded fuel sending unit along with it which is a plus. Maybe the pump is it, I just don't think so. Keep us updated and good luck!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later