Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy has been giving me crap about buying the Titan over a Chevy. Well he came up from Nashville last week to visit in his 97 Sub. While he was here it spun a main bearing and I had to tow it home for him with the "TITAN" which made my weekend! LOL

The funny thing was I averaged 11-12.5 mpg towing the thing down at an average of 70 mph. and its pretty darn hilly from Cincinatti to Nashville.
I thought that was pretty darn good for a 1500lb trailor and a 97 2 wd 1/2 ton SUB.He's got a whole new respect for the "danged old Nissan"!LOL
I bought a 94 Camery from my wifes friend while I was there. I got 14-16mpg towing it back.
This was my first real towing trip with the Titan and all I can say is Whoo Haaa, man this thing'll tow! I wana tow somthing!!LOL

The funny thing was the dealer told (while I was getting the brake rotors turned LOL) me today that the truck was not suppose to go into 5th gear while in the tow/haul mode.

The reason I was talking to him about it was when climbing a long grade it downshifted to third gear, once I got to the top of the hill it wouldn't shift out of third gear. I lifted my foot off the go pedal and still no shift. I finally had to put it into N and back to D and it was fine from there out, crazy.
I just wonder if it got to hot? When I asked the Mech working on the truck today it should have set a code if it did get to hot, but there were no codes.

Has anyone else had any trouble like this??

·
Registered
791 Posts
TitanFan04 said:
A buddy has been giving me crap about buying the Titan over a Chevy. Well he came up from Nashville last week to visit in his 97 Sub. While he was here it spun a main bearing and I had to tow it home for him with the "TITAN" which made my weekend! LOL

The funny thing was I averaged 11-12.5 mpg towing the thing down at an average of 70 mph. and its pretty darn hilly from Cincinatti to Nashville.
I thought that was pretty darn good for a 1500lb trailor and a 97 2 wd 1/2 ton SUB.He's got a whole new respect for the "danged old Nissan"!LOL
I bought a 94 Camery from my wifes friend while I was there. I got 14-16mpg towing it back.
This was my first real towing trip with the Titan and all I can say is Whoo Haaa, man this thing'll tow! I wana tow somthing!!LOL

The funny thing was the dealer told (while I was getting the brake rotors turned LOL) me today that the truck was not suppose to go into 5th gear while in the tow/haul mode.

The reason I was talking to him about it was when climbing a long grade it downshifted to third gear, once I got to the top of the hill it wouldn't shift out of third gear. I lifted my foot off the go pedal and still no shift. I finally had to put it into N and back to D and it was fine from there out, crazy.
I just wonder if it got to hot? When I asked the Mech working on the truck today it should have set a code if it did get to hot, but there were no codes.

Has anyone else had any trouble like this??
I love this story! I have a buddy who still gives me Hell for buying a Nissan over a Chevy even in spite of the fact I pulled my trailer right by him (he has a 2004 2500HD with a 6.0L) up a 6% grade. Good for you man. We'll make believer's out of the old Detroit crowd yet. The Titan is a puller no doubt. Here is my toad of choice. It's a 2005 25' Attitude Toy Hauler and when loaded and ready to roll probably tips the scales around 9,500lbs+. Look for a Ford to tow next. :) Oh! Never tow anything over 1,500lbs in 5th gear. I tow my trailer on flat ground in 4th and on grades no matter how fast I can manage I never take it out of 3rd. My fluid temp stays real consistent that way. If you notice your trans temp starting to rise, downshift manually and you can literally watch the temperature drop. Happy towing. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TitanHauler,

I have been reading the book over on TitanTalk about the STS turbo system, damn what a thread!!!

The dealer told me that when I pushed the tow/haul switch it was suppose to keep the truck out of 5th gear(sounds like BS).

I've drove Chevy trucks with the tow/haul thingy and you can tell the diff in shift points and firmness but I cant tell a bit of diff when I turn it on on my Titan.

My truck wont let me engage the tow/haul button in manual shift mode, I have to turn it on and the engage the manual shift button.

So if I'm manualy shifting what the heck does the tow/haul button do??

When my truck stuck in 3rd gear I was in manual 4th gear with the tow/haul button on, the motor was lugging a little, and then blam it hit 3rd gear and stayed there.

·
Registered
791 Posts
TitanFan04 said:
TitanHauler,

I have been reading the book over on TitanTalk about the STS turbo system, damn what a thread!!!

The dealer told me that when I pushed the tow/haul switch it was suppose to keep the truck out of 5th gear(sounds like BS).

I've drove Chevy trucks with the tow/haul thingy and you can tell the diff in shift points and firmness but I cant tell a bit of diff when I turn it on on my Titan.

My truck wont let me engage the tow/haul button in manual shift mode, I have to turn it on and the engage the manual shift button.

So if I'm manualy shifting what the heck does the tow/haul button do??

When my truck stuck in 3rd gear I was in manual 4th gear with the tow/haul button on, the motor was lugging a little, and then blam it hit 3rd gear and stayed there.
I haven't been on that thread (STS Turbo) since I started it I don't think. I'll have to check it out. What they told you was BS. If you don't notice any difference with the Tow Haul Mode engaged I think you may have a problem. I notice it big time especially in 1st and 2nd gear. It holds the gears much longer and feels like it limits torque converter slippage but that may be in my head. Basically when I start out towing I put the shifter in 4th and push the Tow Haul button. It stays there unless I start to pull a grade. Then I put the shifter down in 3rd and leave it there. I just forget I have 5th gear when I tow. Most manufacturers have a little blurb in the owners manual which tells you not to tow in overdrive. Whether it's a 4 speed or 5 speed auto. The Titan's 4th gear is the 1:1 ratio where Chevy's 3rd gear is the 1:1 ratio. You wouldn't want to tow when your ratior is say .75:1 because you are actually multiplying torque, essentially making your towable load heavier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts