Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my fuel sending unit replaced yesterday, all was well. Tonight I was taking my son to a babysitter so I could go to work.
I turned down a street which happens to be a downward hill. I half down it and notice my 4x4 light came on, then all my dash lights came on, and then I notice I dont have any rpm's. I pulled over to the side turned on my hazards and tried to restart it. Nothing, it turned over just great but nothing. Started to smell something getting warm.
Made a phone call to work saying I was going to be late, called my wife. Tried to find someone to come by and get my son. Then I figured I would get out and check to see if something came loose or something.
I got out of the truck and the smell of gas overwhelmed me. There was GAS coming out of the gas tank at a rapid rate!!!
Called my work ( I am a dispatcher) and had them send a cop out to assist with traffic and start a fire for hazmat clean -up. The gas was running down the hill.
I called my dealer, now it was just a few minutes after 6:00 on Saturday. But a salesman did answer and I explained my situation. He wasnt sure what he could do. But he took my number and called me back about 10 minutes later telling me there was a sentra waiting for me when I got there.
I got it towed to the dealership and now have to wait til Monday to go and complain. But atleast I got wheels.
I can't believe this, it is a good thing that nothing happened to my son... it would have been bad news for their service dept!!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Wow! Really glad you and your son are OK. Give the service manager hell Monday morning, dude!

I would be looking for the tech that did the work, not the service manager!

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Sounds like you need to get someone a pink slip.
That is just crap. Please dont take any crap from them. Good luck and glad everyone is ok.
M4ck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that everyone makes mistakes but this one could have been costly to both of us. I am not sure to be more mad or upset.
I kept the keys so that when I get off on monday morning from work I will be there at 0730 to speak with someone right away. I just wish I didnt have to wait another night.
Do any of you have any idea what could be wrong? And also as far as I know it doesnt hurt to starve the motor of fuel, does it? I can't figure out what the burning smell could have been unless I shelled out the fuel pump trying to prime it....
I wish I could cuss out loud for awhile, very very frustrated.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Thankfully the situation did not get any worse, but the potential to was definitely there. I can't think of what it may have been and will check my service manual for any ideas. I'm sure you'll keep us updated. Keep your cool if you can and I hope the problem gets resolved quickly and you get your Titan back better than new.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's pretty strange thing!
How long since u bought the truck??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought the truck back in August. I have 3200 miles on it. Love the truck, and expected a few issues. But expected that if I took it in to be fixed that this kind of thing wouldnt happen. Just want it back in working order.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hughey79 said:
I bought the truck back in August. I have 3200 miles on it. Love the truck, and expected a few issues. But expected that if I took it in to be fixed that this kind of thing wouldnt happen. Just want it back in working order.
for 3200 miles, this kinda thing shldn't be happening.You shld complain to your dealership about it.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Hughey79,

Glad nothing worse happened, and you are both safe. It's probably a good thing that you can't talk to anyone until Monday...it'll give you time to "cool" off somewhat. Not that you should, just that you'll be more level-headed.

My guess is when, they replaced your sending unit (It's in the tank, I think), they probably pinched that seal for it. Thus, causing a leak. Maybe when it built up some pressure, it forced the seal out further. Just guessing, though.

keep us posted!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yep - there's coincidentally a tie here between a recently replaced fuel sending unit and the problem you've described. Someone goofed -- somewhere - the install wasn't done correctly, or you got a bad replacement part. Should be an easy fix - once they go back and back-track a little bit. Make sure they clean up the mess good. Make sure they detail it inside/out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fixed

I just got home from the dealer. I went in this morning and advised them what had happened. But because it was so early, there was no one to speak with other than the check in person.
So when I got home I called the service manager and told him, he apologized and said he would take care of it.
Two hours later he calls my cell and says a clip came off and that it is all done.
I had also taken in some Mobile 5w-30 to have changed and asked to have the rear diff changed with synthetic. He advised that was done as well but that his manual showed mine already had the synthetic in it, I challenged him a little and he said he would do more searching and have it changed anyway.
So I went to pick it up and everything was done for free and I also got a couple free oil changes. I feel pretty darn good about there service, and stuff does happen. Thanks for all your support.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Good deal man. Glad everything worked out and you actually sound like a happy man now.
M4ck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts