Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to make a point of this, I wanted to let everyone know how completely ridiculous as well as how incredibly difficult it is to replace a wheel seal. I did mine a couple of months ago and it is still holding up great with no issues. I am extremely mechanical and can fix just about anything I was almost to the point of throwing the whole passenger rear axle in the lake. Getting the axle out and prepped was super easy but pressing the new seal and spacer on must require a special attachment for a press. I have neither a press or the special attachment. It can be done with basic hand tools, a work bench, drill with a 1/2" steel bit and one hell of alot of patience.
Changing the design of air vent in the top of the axle is an absolute must as I believe this is the most common reason for seal failure. I bought a barbed fitting and some fuel hose and ran the hose up behind the tail lights to prevent any chance at water getting in.
All in all I nearly lost my mind dealing with the 8 hour project but it got done and worked like a charm. I think it may actually be worth paying the insane 1200+ for a new axle from nissan. When I called to check on it at the dealer they said they dont even replace seals anymore.
BIG SURPRISE.
If anyone in the Atlanta area has a leaking seal, let me know. I have way more experience messing with them than I want. I would also love to find someone local that has a shop or some type of lift I may be able to borrow for a few hours as my new Bilstein Hd shocks finally came in. It took over 3 weeks for delivery from shock warehouse.

·
Registered
508 Posts
... hence why I took mine to a machine shop that cleaned it up and pressed everything on for $20.

Don't assume Nissan doesn't do it b/c it's too difficult. I've worked with very competent techs who would have no problem with that type of work... and with other techs who I wouldn't trust to change the oil. Being that there needs to be one process to follow in general and knowing it needed to be redesigned, Nissan probably quietly just went the replacement route all the while trying to avoid a recall.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That actually sounds like something a mfg would do. I didnt think about it that way. Had I had any sense I would have went the machine shop route as well. I guess I am so used to doing things in ways they arent necessarily supposed to be done, like" heating a crank case on my dirt bike to get a new crank bearing in. It works fine especially when I dont have the sense to buy a cheap press for a couple hundred bucks. Oh well, It ended up on hell of a long saturday night with many beers. It all worked out in the long run as I cant stand any kind of leak and I had to make a 500 mile trip the following monday. I wont make that mistake again if I run into any more issues.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Some of us don't know the difference between a drill press a bench press and a full court press let alone an axle bearing press.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.