Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased this lift on the good word from this and other forums. Got the package on time. Opened it to find no instructions. No big deal...I'm pretty mechanically adept at stuff. I found that Performance Lifts.com had it on their webpage in PDF so I downloaded it anyway. Next issue, I opened the box. The bumpstops look good. Came with lock nuts. Then I checked the actual spacers. The nuts provided with the spacers dont tighten further then one turn. I grabbed a wrench figuring it was some burs on the nut but as I tightened I noticed it was cutting into the thread on the mounting bolt. WTF?! So I thought hmm maybe its just one. Nope. EVERY SINGLE NUT was the same. It appears from what I can see that the thread pitch is off or its a VERY poorly made nut. So I went into my tool box and grabbed a handful of standard nissan 14 MM pitch nuts that I have..(I've owned 5 straight Nissans in 3 years ALL that I modified so I have tons of Nissan sized crap EVERYWHERE) anyways I threaded those on and amazingly they tightened all the way down to the bottom. All this crap and I haven't even installed it yet. My next gripe of course is that there are no lock washers provided on the spacer studs. With something that is going to be under as much stress as this spacer and the constant vibration of the fron suspension under compression (even more so Off-Road which I assume this kit was designed for) the chances for this nut backing off are pretty good. Unfortunately I dont have any lock washers that size so tomorrow before I install it I have to go get some. Somehow I don't see how this was work the extra $50-75 I spent over the Daystar, CST, Skyjacker, etc lift level kits. Either way I am NOT happy. Stay tuned to see if the install goes according to plan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yep, self locking nuts... make sure to have the front end aligned after install or your tires will wear, raising the front adds toe in

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most self locking nuts have some form of plastic/urethane insert that threads into the bolt preventing it from backing off. These are standard metal nuts and they are cutting into the pitch of the bolt...

·
Registered
4 Posts
the ones your refering to are called nylon locknuts,
the ones in the kit are pinchnuts
there made so as to "pinch".

seriously... im a mechinist... ive seen almost every type of fastener application. these will pull the stud out of the aluminum spacer before working loose.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NavyVet said:
the ones your refering to are called nylon locknuts,
the ones in the kit are pinchnuts
there made so as to "pinch".

seriously... im a mechinist... ive seen almost every type of fastener application. these will pull the stud out of the aluminum spacer before working loose.
Yeah I figured it out when I stopped being a [email protected] I have just never used or been giving this type of locking nut before. I've always used nylock nuts or a lockwasher and regular nuts. What got me is that it looked like the nut was cutting the thread on the bolt when I assume it should have been the other way around. I got it all installed with the hardware. The final effect after installation makes this kit worth every penny. The truck now looks 1,000 times better then before. Pictures are coming soon. I spent all day yesterday post installation and alignment going mudding in the rather infrequent rain soaked sand we have here.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NavyVet said:
Great,
dont forget to have an alignment done..

( not at your Nissan dealer ) :wink:
Yeah I did that first thing after the lift went on...and no definitely NOT at the dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts