Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and a new Titan owner. I am happy with my truck in every way but mileage. I have a crew cab 4x4 off road with big tow. K&N drop in filter and BFG All-Terrain. The rest is stock. Christmas day I took on highway approx 240 miles avg. 75-80mph. My mileage was 13.8, this sucks. I know people with 2wd that say they get 19-21mpg. Any comments or suggestions welcome. Thanks

G

·
I don't know anybody that is getting 21 MPG at those speeds. With the 4X4 (which has a lower gear ratio than the 4X2), driving 75-80 that mileage isn't that bad.

·
Registered
870 Posts
summertime interstate trips(65-80mph) I would get about 16 in my Crew 4x SE. Back highways, I've seen as high as 18(45-55mph) This winter, I've been getting about 14 on the highway, and about 14 driving around town, and about 14 off road, and about 14 drag racing. Pretty much no matter how I drive it, it's been getting 14 in the cold. I do always let it warm up before leaving the driveway when it's below freezing.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I normally average about 15.6 - 16.7 mpg. However, with all the snow/ice the last few days, I got 13.4 mpg! This, though, is being in 4WD 80% of the time. Still, not too bad.

Oh yeah, I normally drive between 70-80 mph, 30 miles each way, on interstate.

·
SHIFT_chicks-rule!
1,988 Posts
titanman said:
I am new to this forum and a new Titan owner. I am happy with my truck in every way but mileage. I have a crew cab 4x4 off road with big tow. K&N drop in filter and BFG All-Terrain. The rest is stock. Christmas day I took on highway approx 240 miles avg. 75-80mph. My mileage was 13.8, this sucks. I know people with 2wd that say they get 19-21mpg. Any comments or suggestions welcome. Thanks
Wish I was gettin 13.8~~~~The best I've got is 10.51 :cry:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I also have the Offroad 4x4 but no big tow. SCR38, you just reminded me of something that bugs me, What is this crap in the brochure "equivelant to a blah blah blah with a 4 speed auto"? The literature could just tell all what the ratio is please and if they want to qualify that then ok. Sorry for the rant.. back to topic

I think the larger tires may offset the lower ratio considerably, still they take more to turn being heavier.

I'm just at 11 MPG with 6 tankfuls. almost all city driving and not conservative driving.

I recently started turning the AC off for defrost and bumped the tire PSI to 35. I'll be doing mostly highway driving now and I'm sure the MPG will go up a few. If the road crowds and I have to stay around 60 mph or less it should get closer to the sticker.

Don't feel too bad, you got a lotta uumph under the hood and if you cut back to 65 it would get considerably better. I've seen it on other vehicles.

Chief

·
Registered
294 Posts
The larger tires on the off road package are 285/70/17 they happen to be the same exact diameter as the 265/70/18s. They also have exactly the same revs per mile. The only difference is the off road are wider and have taller sidewalls. So the offroad truck has an effective 14% lower final drive gear. My milage seems average at about 14 in town. I havnt done enough highway to check .

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Thanks a Ton scr38!!! Looks like they are saying the rear axle ratios are
2.94/3.36 std/lower.

This gearing is taller compared to Dodges' at
3.55/3.93

I'm guessing the transmition ratios In the Titan may be somewhat lower than Dodge to offset this.

Thanks to You also Modless. The larger dia. rims never crossed my mind.

Well It's kind of a consolation knowing why I'm getting such gas mileage and that I truly have a lower rear than the std. (that's just me though)

Rough estimate, I know this wouldn't work out perfectly but maybe in the neighborhood;
If my mileage were increased by 14 percent I'd be averaging about 12.5 city.

I'm sure in real life it wouldn't be this good, but somewhere between that and the 10.9 I've averaged so far. Not a big difference in the city, but I would be losing a lot more on the highway. Time will tell.

Thanks Again Guys,

Chief

1 - 9 of 9 Posts