Nissan Titan Forum banner

Gas Poll.

6K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  NateL 
#1 ·
What type of gas do you run in the "Tank"?

#2 ·
I'll probably be the only one who runs 93. Everybody else probably runs whichever is cheapest.

#3 ·
I ran 93 and 95 we have available here where I live until reading around some forums and decided it didnt make a difference. If so it was a minimal difference. If I notice its starting to ping I will change back. But for now with prices the way they are and my truck running fine with 87 I will just keep using it.
M4ck

#4 ·
m4ck said:
I ran 93 and 95 we have available here where I live until reading around some forums and decided it didnt make a difference. If so it was a minimal difference. If I notice its starting to ping I will change back. But for now with prices the way they are and my truck running fine with 87 I will just keep using it.
M4ck
I ran 87 for awhile and switched to 93. Man what a difference. Some people think the a higher octane gas has a higher ignition temp. Which it does. And that it is bad for your motor, leaving carbon buildup on the pistons and etc.... I ran a tank through and it seems to have more power and somewhat better fuel economy. How much you paying for 93 now? I'm paying 1.93 to 1.99/gallon.

#5 ·
Its pretty much the same here. I am paying about 1.65 for 87 though. I do think prices are supposed to go up again though.
M4ck

#6 ·
87 octane is $1.90 / gallon here. They blend the gas with ethanol up here. I was worried about running it in the Titan. Owners manual says not to run a certain percent of the stuff. Most pumps just say ethanol, and not the percentage. What to do?

#7 ·
Octane ratings

I always enjoy the misinformation associated with octane and fuel brand choice threads.

Octane ratings are the resistance of a fuel blend to resist compression pre-combustion as related to pure octane, which is a relatively small portion of any fuel. Most gasoline is composed of cyclic hydrocarbon molecules with less than 16 carbon atoms. The basis of these ringed hydrocarbons is benzene (C6H6 with alternating double bonds).

In the days before On Board Diagnostic computers, the higher the octane meant the bigger loads didn't cause the engine to "ping" from precombustion.

Now the engine's fuel/emmissions management system (OBDII) is constantly checking the exhuast, listening for knocks, and checking a few other combustion parameters to keep the maximum efficiency.

Higher octane won't cause carbon deposits, even in carbureted vehicles. Precombustion from low octane will leave carbon deposits though.

Now it's always best to use the manufacturers recomended fuel for your altitude. A little high-octane fuel won't hurt much though, it'll just make your computer have to readjust the fuel injectors. :)

#8 ·
Don't cringe when I tell you all what I burn in my truck....85 octane regular. The octane ratings here in Utah are 85 (reg), 87 (mid) and I think that the premium is either 89 or 91. When I first moved out here about a year ago from FL, I was concerned about burning the 85 octane regular in my 4.3L S-10. Stopped in at a Chevy dealer and asked about it; the tech I spoke to said it wouldn't hurt anything and that he burned the 85 in his Silverado. So, that's what I've been using. I haven't had any knock and/or pinging in the Titan, nor in my wife's Sante Fe. BTW, I'm at about 4400 feet here in the Salt Lake valley.

#9 ·
I run 87 unless I'm going to the dragstrip. If I'm going to run just motor, I run 89 octane just incase the knock sensors think there is some pinging going on it won't pull timing out. If I'm on the juice, 93 octane,

#10 ·
I run 89 and 93 every other tank. I don't know, the 87 just makes vehicles run rough... at least it did with my Trans Am.

#12 ·
OldSalt said:
Don't cringe when I tell you all what I burn in my truck....85 octane regular. The octane ratings here in Utah are 85 (reg), 87 (mid) and I think that the premium is either 89 or 91. When I first moved out here about a year ago from FL, I was concerned about burning the 85 octane regular in my 4.3L S-10. Stopped in at a Chevy dealer and asked about it; the tech I spoke to said it wouldn't hurt anything and that he burned the 85 in his Silverado. So, that's what I've been using. I haven't had any knock and/or pinging in the Titan, nor in my wife's Sante Fe. BTW, I'm at about 4400 feet here in the Salt Lake valley.
My owners manual says 85 is okay at higher altitudes.

#13 ·
87 here as the cheapest you can get right now is 2.09 per gallon for 87. 91 is averaging about 2.35 so I am reluctant to use it though I did fill up a tank of it the other day.

#14 ·
So what is the conclusion? I used 91 and it cost me $2.49/gal.

Too expensive but I am afraid to use lower one. Is it OK to use lower octain for your new truck eventhough manufacture recommended it?

#15 ·
Tyltan said:
So what is the conclusion? I used 91 and it cost me $2.49/gal.

Too expensive but I am afraid to use lower one. Is it OK to use lower octain for your new truck eventhough manufacture recommended it?
In a word, Yes!

#16 ·
I normally run nothing but 87 in my titan and haven't seen any downsides to it. I experimented with 93 for a few tanks and actually saw a slight(about .2) decrease in mpg. I normally don't pay much attention to the price of the gas because I need it no matter how much it costs, but I think it's usually around 1.85 for the cheap stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.