Nissan Titan Forum banner

Gas type and mileage

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  midwesterner 
#1 ·
I stopped a couple of days ago at the gas station. I had less than half a tank and the trip screen on the dash was showing 15 mpg. I filled it up, the rest of the way with non-ethanol gas. Back on the rode hom the mpg on the dash went to 18, than 21, than 22.1. I don't know the accuracy of the on-board computation but I was very suprised. Does anyone have a similar finding. Mine is a 2019 with less than 10k miles.

#2 ·
Yes, I as well have a 2019 SV 4x4. Since buying it I vowed to use premium fuel in it and it was getting 16/20 mpg. I put fuel recently with no ethanol and some of my best trips are pushing upwards 27 mpg on highway. Not sure if it was a fluke, but even had one trip that was 39 mpg, think that it was maybe from a little downhill coasting. The non-ethanol fuel is better for for injectors and doesn’t gel or separate from sitting for extended times

#3 ·
Ethanol has something like 20% less BTUs of energy per gallon, so on a gallon-to-gallon basis, fuel with no ethanol should get better mpg than fuel with ethanol. Given that most "regular" gas has 10-15 percent ethanol, the differences shouldn't, mathematically, be vastly different, but fuel without ethanol will get better mpg. But on a dollar-to-dollar basis, there may not be as significant a difference in cost per mile.

Of course, having a 2004 Titan SE 4x4 may factor into my thinking...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.