Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hit 87,000 miles and have been seeing the dealer quite often. In the past 6 months I've had power stearing hoses replaced, new bearing seal on the front diff, new universal joint on the front drive shaft, new alternator. All fixed under the extended warranty which runs out at 100,000 miles / end of Feb. Anyone else having these issues? It also seems that I have a valve tap at start up on cold days and when coasting around 40mph down hill my trans will downshift for no reason. The dealer does not hear any tap nor could did they feel any down shift.

Granted I tow, take her off road put over 100mile on her every week day and am a hard driver so my truck see more then most.

Just wondering what other high milage Titan owners have had to have replaced.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The valve tap is probably normal. You may be able to reduce the (perceived) valve tap by changing the oil filter or to a different brand/viscosity of engine oil. The tap is more noticable at startup, correct?

The downshifting of the transmission is normal. It's actually a feature. It's called Brake Assist. If you want to cancel it just tap on the accelerator.

You should post the year and features of your Titan as there are different things to look out for on the various years. FWIW, my Titan has 32K miles and has almost no issues and I do tow and take it offroad.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
2004 through a portion of 2006 models with the off road package are more likely to have differential failure. There is some conjecture on this. I've seen a theory that the presence of the OEM locking rear differential is a pretty good indicator that you're going to have problems. Some Titans after that have had the differential go bad but I think the frequency is far less. The part that actually fails is the spider gears. Early models had 2, later models had 4. Nissan also switched from a steel differential cover to a finned aluminum cover. I could be wrong but I think if you have the upgraded cover then you also have the upgraded spider gears.

The driver's side front axle shaft has a tendency to come out of the differential due to a weak C clip inside the differential. Titans that are lifted or leveled seem to have this happen more frequently as this may put more stress on the C clip. I think Nissan started putting a stronger (or at least, different) C clip on later models. It will cost less to proactively replace the C clip than it will to replace the axle assembly. Note that it is possible that you have this failure already and don't know it. The two indicators of the failure are that 4x4 will not engage or the front wheels don't do anything and that there is leakage of fluid from the front differential.

If I had an early model Titan I would have the newer C clip installed and would give strong consideration to going with an aftermarket differential (Detroit Tru-Trac). I would do this despite having the extended warranty as I find that getting stranded really ruins my day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.