Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SHIFT_Audio/Video_Moderator
Joined
·
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well aside from a few patches and band-aides in the past few years, the falling off of the Banks Exhaust Donkey Dong chrome tip was the final nail in the coffin for launching my long-planned complete exhaust system replacement. Amazon Christmas gift cards helped as well.

The one thing I'm impressed with is how well the old manifolds on this 11 year old Titan held up without cracking. Anyway on to the new system: JBA titanium ceramic-coated long tube headers, Cajun catted B-Pipes (thanks Jeff Nash), JBA EVOL cat-back and a Vibrant Ultra-Quiet resonator. All accompanying gaskets were ditched in favor of genuine Nissan metal gaskets.

Rather than replacing the upstream a/f sensors with ones that have longer wires to reach the collectors, I decided to lengthen the existing ones myself, against much popular opinion. So far after the first drive, no codes (fingers glued in crossed position). Worse comes to worse if things go haywire with the sensors, I'll replace them with Walker or Goo Designs equivalent that have 20" wires. I think the important thing here is that the initial Cipher data logs contain information from all the cylinders' exhaust ports, then when I get my new Etune from Uprev and do a re-flash, none of it will really matter anymore. In fact from what Jeff at Cajun B-Pipes says, the sensors could be turned off with Cipher.

Now the sound.. deep exhaust note, much tamer at idle. No cabin drone through all rpm ranges.. Ahhhhhh, nice. Definitely not as loud as the Banks overall, but still sounds reeeeaaal good. Can't wait to re-tune and see how many horsies we can get with optimization. Just hope that tight low-end torque doesn't suffer too much.

I also replaced the spark plugs (at 92,000 miles) with NGK Iridium plugs.

Pic 1: Original a/f senor with insulation stripped back near connector
Pic 2: 10- 15" lengths of 18 ga. primary wire cut and stripped
Pic 3 & 4: Soldering & heat-shrinking
Pic 5: Taping & looming
Pic 6: Completed sensors
 

Attachments

·
SHIFT_Audio/Video_Moderator
Joined
·
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pics continued....

Pic 1: Tip & resonator
Pic 2: Resonator
Pic 3: 2 1/2" to 3" Y-pipe with stainless band clamp
Pic 4: Header collector/ B-pipe flange
Pic 5: B-pipe / Y-pipe flange (notice O2 sensor "behind" cat = no trouble codes)
Pic 6: Y-pipe to mid-pipe & muffler
 

Attachments

·
SHIFT_Audio/Video_Moderator
Joined
·
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pics continued....

Pic 1: Headers (notice how dip stick sits between pipes)
Pic 2: Notice upper O2 bung plugged, and my wire extension snaking out of view down to the collector bung
Pic 3: Shiny new Nissan manifold nuts (no studs were destroyed)
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,158 Posts
Nice. Looks like you did it all, a couple e-tunes and you should be golden.

Only notes I have are the Iridium plugs don't seem to last for me in the Titan or the Volvo's, the next time the Stillen Rads come on sale I'd be upgrading, and lastly once tuned I found traction bars were necessary to control axle hop. I wouldn't worry about the plugs, but I'd check them in 30,000 miles or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Just getting around to seeing this thread! Good Job and thanks on the write up. Glad you like the new sound and performance....
 

·
SHIFT_Audio/Video_Moderator
Joined
·
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I finally got a chance to look at the old manifolds in more detail and you can see in these pics that both of them were cracked in the same spot. That obviously indicates poor design.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
That's where every Nissan manifold will crack one day. Congrats on the permanent FIX and new power!!!!!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top