Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, Now I have used the search button and read everything that I can find.
Here is the deal: I went to gas up the truck at QT and when I went to open the cap, I could not (I repeat could not) open it for the longest time. Had this problem before but good lord and other words it was so tight today and the weather was in the 40's?????????? Is there a solution to this?

And ofcourse my other malfunction of the day is that I can't get the fuel guage to register fuel. Everytime I fill up it gets worse and worse. I have tried both methods, the dont overfil and pump it to max. Nothing seems to help. Today I left with what I thought was another full tank, but after looking it more below full than ever before. Any more ideas? or this another one of those fuel sending unit issues?

Can someone please give me some answers :D

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Darn hughey, I can feel your frustration just by reading your post, that makes you a great writer!!

I can't say as I've heard of a gas cap that won't come off but I certainly have read many reports of the fuel tank sending unit going bad. I REALLY HATE to do this to you but you need to make the dreaded call to the dealer and set up an appt. to have your sending unit replaced.....SORRY!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured as much

I thought that was going to be the end result, I dont like going the dealer unless it is something major.
Someone said on another board about the gas cap, was to replace it. So I am going there tomorrow and speak with them about it.
Something so minor that cause such a pain. Took two hands to get the cap off and then fill it and it doesnt even come close to full.
Just drove away depressed.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Since you mentioned it. I decided to fill-er up when the guage ws readin' approx 1/8th tank, after only 20 gallons (that means I had 8 gallons in the 1/8th, right?), it stopped allowing more fuel. As I left the station (ignition on) the guage registered just under the Full mark?

Sending unit, huh? Dangit!

-Sean

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have a filling station I like to go to cause I can get my TITAN at just the right angle to fill it all the way up. I found if you shake your TITAN it will fill all the way up...$hit just relized what I was typing :lol: Any more that three and your playing with it........... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
FlatBlack said:
I have a filling station I like to go to cause I can get my TITAN at just the right angle to fill it all the way up. I found if you shake your TITAN it will fill all the way up...$hit just relized what I was typing :lol: Any more that three and your playing with it........... :lol: :lol:
man im going to have to try that next time.

no not shaking more then 3 times :lol: , the fill up trick :lol:

·
Registered
40 Posts
i had a similar problem filling up my truck a couple of times, but i believe it was because individual gas stations here set dollar amount limits on the amount of gas you can pump at one time. i thought that there was something wrong, but noticed that the pump would read exactly $50 or exactly $35 when it happened. could this be what is happening in your cases? just a thought. maybe it could avoid another nasty trip to the dealer. :)

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
AZRich, what part of this Great Nation are you from?
Here in Texas, we DRINK oil at Tea Time!

What makes more sense, is my mileage used to be consistent, now it varies between 13 and 15, and I wonder if I'm using ALL the gas in the tank, cuz the mileage gets better as the tank gets lighter, but will average overall in the end.

Dangit! I've already read all the magazines at the dealership!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I havent tried to shake the truck, I saw somewhere else that someone did that. I just cant picture someone at a gas pump shaking their truck to fill it up more. I would have to laugh.

I dont think it has to do with dollar amount caps, I only put it $10.00 today so that would be it. I have driven 35 miles since this morning and I am already in between full and 3/4.

Somethings just don't make sense in this world.

Thanks all

·
Registered
235 Posts
i hate the gas gauge, working or not, it breaks my heart to see it drop, and breaks my wallet to see it rise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I happen to live in the great state of Arizona. Let's see, it's supposed to be 71 degrees today. Anyone jealous? :p I haven't had to wear a long sleeve shirt in weeks, back when we had a cold spell in December...all the way down to 50 on some days!

My filling up problem happened once here in Phoenix and once in southern CA on a road trip. And it was back when gas here was over $2/gal and when CA gas was almost $3/gal. Maybe that was more the cause than anything else.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Let's see, it's supposed to be 71 degrees today
I don't think I like you anymore!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I don't think I have ever gotten my tank filled all the way up. It is what a 28 gallon tank? I have never put in more than 22-24 gallons and I have driven sometimes in upwards of 450 miles with the light on for nearly 35-40 miles. Who knows. I don't think I will shake the truck though!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I took the truck to the dealer yesterday. They fixed the tsb for now on the front brakes. They replaced the gas cap. they advised the old one was bound up????
AS for the full tank issue, they had to order a sending unit. Said it should be in on either Friday or Monday. So I am happy, and they did a good job keeping me informed and service was good.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Great to hear Hughey. Seems like most people really like the Nissan Service. Hopefully if I ever have to go in for work they will be the same at my dealership.

Heaven help them if they aren't cause I got a lot of pages to badmouth them and let people know. LOL
I believe it would be in their best interest to take care of me thats for sure.
M4ck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah, the only problem I have with them is that when I ask them a question about a problem or like the big brake fix hopefully coming, their answer is I have never heard of it.
They fixed the brakes without question with my complaint about them being warped or out of round if you will.
I asked about the fix coming and my advisor was actually cool. He said that he hopes they do, cause it would be a fix hopefully permantly. I asked if my brakes would do this again and he couldnt advise.

·
Registered
791 Posts
My Titan gas guage rarely reads full, drops initially like a bad habit, but I can drive for days with the gas light on. Every vehicle I have ever owned has some quirk with the gas guage. My Jeep Grand Cherokee will go for days reading above full and then (as if to spite you) will, in a matter of minutes, drop to 3/4 of a tank and it's all down hill from there. And I don't even think about driving it with the gas light on because she will spit around corners or leave you stranded, drives my wife nuts. My 1996 Camaro I had was like the Titan, so who knows. One comment though, when I have my trailer hooked up and the truck is leveled out, I only need to click the pump handle twice and gas is coming out. When I get in the truck it reads above full. I wonder if anyone with a leveling kit on their truck noticed this after the install? Maybe it's a matter of the truck being level rather than a problem with the sending unit??? Titan's have an unusually heavy rake from the factory.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay all done

Today my dealer called me and now everything is fixed. I am good to go.
They replaced my fuel sending unit and when I went to fill it up, it went to full. Thank goodness.
So hopefully this will be it for awhile.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Glad to hear that Hughey. So are you pleased with your dealerships service.
M4ck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts