Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mileage has been a real concern for me as I drive my Titan for work and put on about 800 mi/week. On my first tank I got about 9.8 mpg and nearly had a heart attack! I was driving a 00 Frontier I bought used and was getting about 15 mpg. Thought I needed better mileage and bought a 00 Focus (yuck!) to drive for work. I'd had the Frontier about 3 months. Drove the Focus about 3 weeks and had to make a change. I'd been drooling over the Titan for some time and finally convinced myself and my wife that if I got the rated 18 pmg on a new Titan, I'd get good enough fuel economy and I'd save on insurance by trading two vehicles for one (still had the Frontier). Well, we did it and I took a real bath on the Focus. Got just what I expected for the Frontier. So then I get less than 10 mpg on the Titan's first tank! I didn't tell my wife, of course. I put on a Gibson exhaust, TB spacer, and K&N filter and modified the airbox (all in the last 4-5 weeks). I know there's a break-in period but I wanted to get the mileage up as high as I could and as fast as I could. I got a couple of 14 mpg tanks after the airbox mod, filter, and exhaust, which I did together. After the TB spacer, my mileage dropped to about 12.25 and seemed to stay there forever. I was hoping it was just my ecu in training. Finally, after two excrutiating weeks, the mileage increased dramatically from 12.5 pmg to 15.3 in a couple of tanks! Yippee! I hope this is just the start of the meteoric rise in fuel economy - maybe I'll even set a record for best mileage in a 4x4 Titan!
Oh, the sun'll come out, tomorrow, bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, there'll be sun... :D :D :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
I got just over 15 on the 120 mile drive home from the dealer. I took a few 800 mile trips where I got up to 18.7 MPG through the mountains and was happy as could be. Now with 6900 miles on the truck my last tank I got 12.5MPG and I wasn't hot rodding around too much (less than usual). I can't understand the wide swing in my milage but for the power and handling anything over 12 (what my lumbering sluggish 460 powered ford got) makes me happy. There has to be some downside to the Titan and it seems to be at the gas pump. 8)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ive got 18mpg before on a short trip. But I havent been able to duplicate it since. Usually stays about 14 for mixed driving.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Class action against Nissan

You would think there would be enough people miffed that they bought a truck that had a 15/18 MPG in the sticker and in reality can only achieve thet 18MPG driving down hill at 45 MPH for the full tank of 93 octane gas summer mix.

Squeeky hinge gets the oil...

Truth in advertising...

Jim in PA

PS: IF a truck manufacture can produce an engine that can get the same performance but get 25-30 MPG they would sell every full size truck they could make.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Just got 17.91 on my last tank. Have any of you tried a different gas. Shell works the best for me, I will get 400 or better nearly every time. BP or Citgo is like water for it, it drinks it quick! Might just be me but I average at least 400 every tank, and I have yet to put in over 24 gallons. All I have is the magnaflow exhaust and K&N filter ( I just did the air box mod yesterday) on a nearly stock XE. I haven't seen anyone get as good yet. I am lucky too, I told the wife it would be a good investment, the blazer I had before got 18 or so and the 69 chevy is at about 7-9 miles per gallon. :lol:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
when doing highway driving with a gibson and a K&N FIPK im gettin between 16 and 17 mpg every time. hopefully ill get 1 more MPG with the TB spacer 8)

·
Registered
721 Posts
In past vehicles I seem to have gottem better milage if I used a brand name gas (amoco, shell,etc.) than if I used a cheap gas (quick trip, racetrack etc.) They may cost 2-3 cents more make make up for it in mpg.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the gut feeling that Phillips 66 was the best for me so I've been sticking with it for the last month or so. Once I max out with this brand (break-in period, all my mileage mods done, etc.), I'll try some other brands if I'm not happy. I buy the 91. I know some say it makes no difference, but I'd swear it's worth 1-1.5 mpg.

·
Registered
235 Posts
im actually jealous of all of you, i average about 10mpg, and i have almost 4k on the truck, i live in a relatively quiet part of florida and my mpg stinks. I am completely stock and i get maybe 300-320 miles on a full tank of 89octane (mid grade for florida) and thats if im lucky usually its right around 280miles, anyway i notice all of you have an exhaust mod, that could help, ill look into that.

side note: i took a trip to ft lauderdale and back (roughly 160miles each way)i used bout 3/8 Tank on the way there, then on the way back used the same so it seems to be a big swing in mpg on the highway (i probably could have gotten better but in a king cab titan with 6 ppl you just have to exceed 100mph, averaged about 105 and i have no doubt that if the speed limiter didnt exist the truck could have done 130-140)

·
Go fast tester
11,912 Posts
Your going that fast and your mad that your getting 10mpg!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Rossi Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:59 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your going that fast and your mad that your getting 10mpg!!!!
that was highway driving, around town i get 10mpg feathering the petal, i actually forget how much power the titan has, i never use it.

·
Go fast tester
11,912 Posts
It seems to have a VERY wide range. I have 2k on mine and I always get right at 15 and I'm not the hardest on it but I'm not the easiest either. Freeway I do between 70-80 but I get there fast! Like to hear the motor...and I do like to break them loose every now and then. But I'm always at 15. Last tank was at like 14.97 mpg. Now on the highway......I get near 20 on long trips. Went on a trip about 220 round trip all freeway and still had over half tank left.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe it's the warm weather or our 'winter fuel' as has been suggested in other threads. I do almost all highway driving and 20 would be a dream! Can't wait for summer!

·
SHIFT_chicks-rule!
1,988 Posts
You guys getting good gas milage makes me jealous!! I'm only getting around 11mpg :cry:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Baja,

What is your driving style and conditios? I drive like Rossi, not hard but not easy and I get 14-15 mpg.

·
Registered
11 Posts
drove from texarkana to shreveport yesterday. Spent the day driving around shreveport. When I got home I checked my milage and got 16.4. I thought that was good for a 4*4 off road, big tow.

·
SHIFT_chicks-rule!
1,988 Posts
mdinkle said:
Baja,

What is your driving style and conditios? I drive like Rossi, not hard but not easy and I get 14-15 mpg.
Kinda like you guys. Not hard, but definatly not easy. I got almost 14 once, but the whole tank was almost all highway.

·
SHIFT_chicks-rule!
1,988 Posts
hunterdrake said:
drove from texarkana to shreveport yesterday. Spent the day driving around shreveport. When I got home I checked my milage and got 16.4. I thought that was good for a 4*4 off road, big tow.
You've got to be kidding!!!! I thought maybe the big tow was the reason for my bad gas milage. I may need to have my computer flashed.

·
Go fast tester
11,912 Posts
The big tow and that rear-end ratio equal to a 4.10 at the wheels does not help much that's for sure!! Freeway speeds what RPM's are you running at 65. I don't have the big tow and I think I'm below 2000....1700??? Have to look.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts