Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have about 1000 miles on my 05 Titan LE and am still impressed with this truck.
I am glad to have access to this site with some real good ideas floating around.
Right now I am just reading about some of the ideas posted and todate do not have any brake or differential problems. Hopefully mine has been updated. I have noticed that the differential cover is cast aluminum, with cooling fins.
My milage is an acceptable 15.3 mpg and 16.5 on a recent road trip.
Anyway, its good to read over your shoulders about some of the issues your having.
By the way, I talked to my dealer service manager about the Air Hog before installing it, and he said the stock Nissan filter is oiled, so there should not be a problem with the Mass Airfow sensor if you don't overoil them.
Hopefully I have posted this right.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Welcome jrw396, and great first post. Your gonna have a lot of people jealous over your mileage. Post often, and join our member photo gallery. You Texas boys are really taking over!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Welcome to the club. I'm sure you'll find lots of good info here, I know I have.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Welcome to the club, congrats on the new truck. Sounds like you been doing alot of reading over here, Glad you decided to join. :D

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BiXLL said:
Welcome jrw396, and great first post. Your gonna have a lot of people jealous over your mileage. Post often, and join our member photo gallery. You Texas boys are really taking over!
On the milage part, I let the truck go with just a little gas. It seems to stay up with others that seem to be punching it.
What do you guys know about the dif. cover?
Is this the upgrade ya'll have been talking about?

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
Yes, the aluminum cover is finned and has a larger oil capacity then the 04 stock cover. They are supposed to start shipping 3/9/05. COLORCHANGE is trying to put together a deal for us, cover, bracket, and bolts shipped $100.00. Here is the thread:
http://www.clubtitan.org/postt1939.html

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BiXLL said:
Yes, the aluminum cover is finned and has a larger oil capacity then the 04 stock cover. They are supposed to start shipping 3/9/05. COLORCHANGE is trying to put together a deal for us, cover, bracket, and bolts shipped $100.00. Here is the thread:
http://www.clubtitan.org/postt1939.html
Thanks for the confirmation. I am still going to check the oil to make sure it doesn't give me any trouble.
Ron

·
Registered
157 Posts
Welcome!

Welcome fellow Texan!!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Man, another Texan. :happy: Welcome to the group jrw396. I have a '05 also and the diff fluid was low. I ran it for about 500 miles and then changed it out and filled it up to the filler hole. Hopefully this will keep me for awhile.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome to the club! There is deffinatley no shortage of TExans on this board :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Welcome to the club!!!

Gregg

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mdinkle said:
Man, another Texan. :happy: Welcome to the group jrw396. I have a '05 also and the diff fluid was low. I ran it for about 500 miles and then changed it out and filled it up to the filler hole. Hopefully this will keep me for awhile.
Thanks for the heads up. I am going to check level tomorrow morning before going to Kansas Thursday.

·
Registered
601 Posts
jrw396 said:
By the way, I talked to my dealer service manager about the Air Hog before installing it, and he said the stock Nissan filter is oiled, so there should not be a problem with the Mass Airfow sensor if you don't overoil them.
Unless they changed things on the new 05s, they come with paper filters from the factory, not oiled gauze filters like the airhog, K&N etc. Where did you buy from that told you this?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HavockWK said:
jrw396 said:
Unless they changed things on the new 05s, they come with paper filters from the factory, not oiled gauze filters like the airhog, K&N etc. Where did you buy from that told you this?
Tom Peacock. The stock filter did have a redish oily tint to the filter when I removed it. It is a paper filter with a redish oil additive added. I kept the filter, because AirHog says to wash and clean their filter at least once a year, and let it dry thoroughly, then add the oil and let is sit overnight to allow the oil to seep into the filter element. I intend to use the stock filter during this process.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
jrw396 said:
HavockWK said:
jrw396 said:
Tom Peacock. The stock filter did have a redish oily tint to the filter when I removed it. It is a paper filter with a redish oil additive added. I kept the filter, because AirHog says to wash and clean their filter at least once a year, and let it dry thoroughly, then add the oil and let is sit overnight to allow the oil to seep into the filter element. I intend to use the stock filter during this process.
Typically paper and oil don't mix. Oil is only used on a cotton gauze type material that it won't degrade. I'm really not being controversial here but I would like to see a pic of that filter because it should not have oil on it. Oil will degrade and eventually emulsify paper is my reason for doubting what your dealer told you.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JetTech said:
jrw396 said:
HavockWK said:
jrw396 said:
Typically paper and oil don't mix. Oil is only used on a cotton gauze type material that it won't degrade. I'm really not being controversial here but I would like to see a pic of that filter because it should not have oil on it. Oil will degrade and eventually emulsify paper is my reason for doubting what your dealer told you.
I am new at this web site and don't know how to post a picture, but if you can let me know who to, then I will be glad to send it. Have no idea if its paper of cotton.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JetTech said:
Slurppie said:
I wouldn't doubt it's an oiled filter. The OEM filter in my 02 Altima was oiled.
Was it paper slurp? :flyswat:
Here is the actual stock filter.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts