Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a factory bedliner, but would like to do the spray on. However, since I like to do things myself I have looked into the roll-on bedliners. Herculiner is one that has been done and showcased on some automotive shows such as "Trucks". But I have never known anyone that actually did this.

So the question is, does anyone have any personal experience with this product or know of anyone that has? If so, what were the results? How did it last?

·
SHIFT_Track_ADDICT
5,141 Posts
what ever you do you would most likely need to get off the old liner first if thier is adhesion problems which could turn into a gigantic mess, but i think the results will be good long as you scuff sand the surface with some 120 grit sandpaper and clean it real good with acetone.. then it should yield a good surface to reapply the new liner to

·
Registered
144 Posts
I used the one you can buy at Wal-mart (I believe the brand is Duplicolor) on my Ford Ranger about 5-6 years ago. My aunt owns the Ranger now and it has held up well. I also used it on my VW floor pans and it has done well there too. I think as long as you do the proper prep work, it will last a long time. And, if something should happen to it and it gets gouged, you will be able to fix it yourself. FWIW: I also have had Speedliner in a truck and the factory sprayed liner is in my Titan. The one I did myself was a lot thicker than either of these.

·
Registered
314 Posts
**********NO DON'T DO IT******************

Prepped the heck out of a truck I had(which the bed was in good shape to begin with), and followed the directions to a T.

Turned out like Hercu-do-do.Still ticked that I wasted that much time out of my life that I can never get back.I bought into the clever advertising, and got scammed by that crap in a can.

It faded with in 6 months, looked terrible do to the texture, and started to peel from me actually like using it like a truck bed.Throw something in it heavy or whatever and let it slide and it tears.

It defintiely makes my top ten of the stupidest things I ever wasted time and money on, and will remember it well when I'm laying on my deathbed wishing I had those hours back.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I once tried the DupliColor, but I was quickly disappointed after my first load of gravel (many trucks ago). I switched to Herculiner for my last three trucks (before the Titan), and I could not damage it. I could dig into it with the edges of stone or block, but that was it. I think it is a very good product. I found that three coats are better than two. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I was looking into something that has a lot better traction than the factory plastic liner and I have never seen any advertisements for it. I just did a search and found the Trucks segment online.

I need to add that when I put stuff in my bed it is generall VERY heavy. Between 1000 to 1350 lbs.

Griffey, I guess you mixed it up real well?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
My buddy used it on his truck and it looked like CRAP,IMO. It looked like he just spray painted his bed, no traction grit what so ever. Do yourself a HUGE favor and get Line-X.

·
High Maintenance FIC
1,109 Posts
Shailey, I belive PPG supplies or does all the Nissan spray -in stuff. I would try to track down that lead, and have them do it or supply you. Maybe talk to your contacts thru Nissan and see if you can't get it factory sprayed, or something close. The reason I think this is cuz on my '04 had the dicoloration problem, I wanted redone, but they couldn't find anyone in Jersey to do it, so I questioned them and I'm pretty sure PPG came up, something about having no qualified shops in the State to do it at the time.

·
Banned
2,121 Posts
I worked at autozone and plenty of people wanted refunds on the roll on bedliner we carried. I'm taking mine to Line-X $429 out the door and ready from start to finish in less than 2 hours.

·
Registered
26 Posts
dont take the chance...the one's I have seen looked like crap..its your truck but IMO it wont look as good as a spray on

·
ClubTitan's little Pit Bull
6,553 Posts
Take it to a professional. It's a good investment, even if you can't do it yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do NOT do it. One of my co-workers tried to save some money and do the do-it-yourself job. It looked like crap!! And yes, I let him know that it looked like crap. Some things are better left to the pros.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Take it and get it done. I did my old truck and it looked good till i but a ramps in the back. DONT DO IT your self.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yeah Shailey.....I have a buddy who owns a paint store, and took it up there and had him put it on his shaker the morning of doing the job.I know for a fact I would take a $100 bill and light it on fire before ever buying any cans of the Hercu-do-do again for anything.

An option for you might be a Bedrug.I've had lots of them and they are really nice.Stuff dosen't go sliding all over the place, and it's plush enough to sleep on thru two hurricanes...LOL.Should be able to find them in the 280-300 range shipped.

·
I have over 1000 posts in 2 weeks and all I get is
1,344 Posts
One of the big differences between the DIY style, and the pro-style spray/roll on bedliners is that the professional ones don't just scuff up the truck, etc... they use heat in the process, which helps a TON with adhesion. We played around with several different DIY versions for a project in college, and none of them worked terribly well. Line-X and RhinoLiner are all applied at over 400*, that really makes a difference.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I want to thank everyone for the replies. I know of one person that is pretty trustworthy that is happy with this product, but that is it. Everyone else seems to be very dis-satisified. And to hear that many wanted refunds on a product says a lot too. I guess there is not much to think over anymore.

As most here know, it is not the money I care about...I just like to do things myself and know how good of work I do when I do it. But I guess it does not matter how good of work you do when the product is bad.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The yard Group Provides good Concrete Supplies Services in Sydney.
Concrete Supplies in Sydney is the second most consumed in the world after the consumption of water. Working as a market leader in the production of concrete, THE YARD offers a wide range of products and solutions. With an unparalleled history of product reliability, development and technical expertise of all products that are specifically designed for a wide variety of applications that includes the industrial, house building, agricultural and commercial applications. Our all products conform to credited quality assurance schemes and meet the standards.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts