Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody replaced their headlight bulbs themselves? I bought a set of Sylvania SilverStar bulbs for both high and low beams, and would like to change them out myself.

The Titan owner's manual says to go to the dealer and have them do it. I would rather not spend more money if I could avoid it.

Thanks,

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I haven't done this yet myself so I looked in the service manual for you and it gives 4 basic instructions, which kind of made me laugh....

1. Turn Headlamp switch OFF
2. Disconnect the Electrical Connector
3. Turn the bulb counterclockise to remove it.
4. Installation is in the reverse order of removal....

Wow, what a big help that was... :lol: :lol:

G

·
Change the bulbs through the wheelwells. Turn the wheels all the way to one side. Then remove one screw from the plastic wheelwell liner (it is in a recess behind the headlight location). With the screw removed you can easily pull the plastic liner back and gain access to the bulbs. Be sure to not touch the glass on the bulbs. I wear clean white cotton gloves when installing the bulbs.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you. I'll post tomorrow after I get them changed. I'll take pictures also.

Greg

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JetTech said:
I haven't done this yet myself so I looked in the service manual for you and it gives 4 basic instructions, which kind of made me laugh....

1. Turn Headlamp switch OFF
2. Disconnect the Electrical Connector
3. Turn the bulb counterclockise to remove it.
4. Installation is in the reverse order of removal....

Wow, what a big help that was... :lol: :lol:
No doubt, the owners manual says:

The headlight is a semi-sealed beam type which
uses a replaceable headlight (halogen) bulb. Because
the headlight assembly must be removed
from the vehicle for bulb replacement, see your
NISSAN dealer.

A lot of help that was, too... :)

Greg

·
Registered
434 Posts
BE CAREFUL WITH THOSE BULBS.
A number of years ago, several folks were trying the Halogen switch-out with Dodge Durangos and the plastic outside cover was melting...........!!!! Watch the heat factor here.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It shouldn't be a problem with the SilverStars. They're the same wattage as the stock, just bluer in color (the light is very white, compared to the yellowish cast for the stock bulbs.) On top of that the stock bulbs are halogen, as well.

By the way, I have completed the change out, just need to put the how-to together. The pics are in my album, if you're interested. Took about 20 minutes, maybe 15 to do.

Greg

·
Registered
269 Posts
So did you go in from behind through the wheel well or take out the screww up top and remove the assy.?? I gotta find that download site and get a manual for this thing...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
WindsorFox said:
So did you go in from behind through the wheel well or take out the screww up top and remove the assy.?? I gotta find that download site and get a manual for this thing...
Actually there are 4 bolts holding the assembly on.

www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissan/ for the guide

·
Registered
269 Posts
TeamMaximus said:
chefbob said:
That's how I did it. It was pretty easy coming in through the wheel well.

Greg
Yeah, almost too easy. I guess these (Silverstar) are the really white ones I've seen, but Sylvania calling them "HID look" is pretty much off base. I also replaced the driving light bulbs and they are not as white as the hi/lo bulbs. Man, I miss my HIDs....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts