Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a Chevy guy for quite some time, and do my own tuning using HPtuners. Ive been trying to research the best route for my new Titan. I wasnt gonna do anything to it, but man its tough just knowing it isnt tuned.

I looked at the superchips a little, and the bullydog. I promised the wife I wouldnt hook my laptop up to it, but no one elses was mentioned :3d_049:

Anyway, Im completely ignorant to the Titans, but have seen UpRev mentioned. Could someone school me on whats the best way to go.

As stated, Im familiar with custom tuning, and still tune the Chevy I still have. I tuned my old Z-71 that ran 12 second 1/4 mile times with a little help from a couple of buds.

The only thing I have planned for the Titan is leveling the front (or a slight lift if necessary when I get new tires) HIDs and tinting the windows. Ive spent tons of money trying to make trucks fast, and broken all kinds of parts in the process. I intend to just drive this one, but decided to do a nice burnout in the driveway while she was parking her new Camaro, and even with the VDC off, once the tires broke loose, it was like a Chevy pulling TM (Torque Management) Ive heard of a "Throttle stop" situation on these Titans, but as stated, completely ignorant.

I know a Chevy backwards and forwards, so I feel stupid, but not willing to take the time, money, broken parts to learn the Nissan the same way.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Uprev is the only custom tuning.

·
Registered
125 Posts
^^^ what he said.

UpRev is the best for the T! Sure there are others...but they have the best rep and support.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you have a lot of experience in tuning Chevy's, your going to be in for a huge disappointment with the Titan for the fact that you can't program these trucks yourself with a laptop. The only thing you can do is take readings with Osirus while driving around and then send that information to Uprev who does the tuning for you. Uprev is usually the best for trucks that have minor bolt-ons like headers and cams.

The Titan doesn't have much aftermarket support compared to the nearly unlimited choices available for GM truck enthusiasts. There's not a huge selection in parts so that keeps guess work pretty simple in what performs the best. Most of the fast Titans on here run the same basic parts. However, there are no aftermarket heads or intake manifolds that I'm aware of. You can get cams, but I believe there are only two choices which keeps it pretty simple. There is a 6.0L stroker block out there I believe, but it's major $$$$.

Most Titans have the WOT restriction which keeps the truck from reaching full throttle until 40 mph. It was 16 mph on the 4x4's. All Titans have it set to 40 mph now. The ECU won't let the fly by wire throttle open all the way until you reach this particular speed. A programmer like Superchips, Bullydog, etc, will get rid of it by allowing WOT from 0 mph. There's another feature that regulates wheel slip independent of the WOT throttle restriction. There's a mod called the "burn out mod" to get rid of it.

The least expensive way is to buy a programmer to get rid of the WOT throttle restriction and get an aftermarket CAI and exhaust system. Those three mods alone will wake the truck up and make it fun to drive without spending much $$$. If you want to go deeper like headers and cams, your going to need Uprev which will cost a few hundred dollars in itself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have a lot of experience in tuning Chevy's, your going to be in for a huge disappointment with the Titan for the fact that you can't program these trucks yourself with a laptop. The only thing you can do is take readings with Osirus while driving around and then send that information to Uprev who does the tuning for you. Uprev is usually the best for trucks that have minor bolt-ons like headers and cams.

The Titan doesn't have much aftermarket support compared to the nearly unlimited choices available for GM truck enthusiasts. There's not a huge selection in parts so that keeps guess work pretty simple in what performs the best. Most of the fast Titans on here run the same basic parts. However, there are no aftermarket heads or intake manifolds that I'm aware of. You can get cams, but I believe there are only two choices which keeps it pretty simple. There is a 6.0L stroker block out there I believe, but it's major $$$$.

Most Titans have the WOT restriction which keeps the truck from reaching full throttle until 40 mph. It was 16 mph on the 4x4's. All Titans have it set to 40 mph now. The ECU won't let the fly by wire throttle open all the way until you reach this particular speed. A programmer like Superchips, Bullydog, etc, will get rid of it by allowing WOT from 0 mph. There's another feature that regulates wheel slip independent of the WOT throttle restriction. There's a mod called the "burn out mod" to get rid of it.

The least expensive way is to buy a programmer to get rid of the WOT throttle restriction and get an aftermarket CAI and exhaust system. Those three mods alone will wake the truck up and make it fun to drive without spending much $$$. If you want to go deeper like headers and cams, your going to need Uprev which will cost a few hundred dollars in itself.
Thanks. That helps a lot.

Does there seem to be any big differences between the Bully Dog, and the Superchips programers?

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
If you have the tuner version of UpRev you can tune yourself (if you know how to use it).

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Not trying to steal your post man but I'm selling my uprev cable for $450 obo with standard software. With it you take some data logs with the cable and your laptop, send it to Uprev and for $50 bucks they write you a custom tune. I don't know if you bought the cable from me and then talked to them about going with the "End User" version of the software what they would charge, but I assure you I am cheaper than what they sell it for on their website

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

WHAT! sorry bud. ..not true YES YOU CAN. .IT IS THE ONLY WAY TO GET A CUSTOM TUNE BY GETTING THE TUNER VERSION OF UPREV, I WANT TO GET THAT ONE SO I CAN DO THE TUNING MYSELF BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO TUNE

·
Registered
215 Posts
WHAT! sorry bud. ..not true YES YOU CAN. .IT IS THE ONLY WAY TO GET A CUSTOM TUNE BY GETTING THE TUNER VERSION OF UPREV, I WANT TO GET THAT ONE SO I CAN DO THE TUNING MYSELF BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO TUNE
Oh, I didn't know that. That's cool then. Another thing to put on my dream list someday. lol!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks. That helps a lot.

Does there seem to be any big differences between the Bully Dog, and the Superchips programers?
Nah, not much. They all pretty much run the same. A lot of people like the new Bully Dog GT because it allows up to 4* base timing advance (the Power Pup only allowed up to 2* initial advance). However, I don't think it relates to faster times or anything. It just makes the throttle input more touchy or responsive. For me, a super touchy herky jerky throttle would make me kinda nervous. lol!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not trying to steal your post man but I'm selling my uprev cable for $450 obo with standard software. With it you take some data logs with the cable and your laptop, send it to Uprev and for $50 bucks they write you a custom tune. I don't know if you bought the cable from me and then talked to them about going with the "End User" version of the software what they would charge, but I assure you I am cheaper than what they sell it for on their website
Go away lol

Man I appreciate the offer, but know me, this would lead to something else and something else so on and so on.

My regular cab Chevy is the toy, Im mainly looking to get rid of the throttle stop, and if I gain a few HPs in doing so, thats fine too

If I had big plans for the future, Id definatly take you up on the offer

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I hear ya man. I didin't plan on doing much to my new truck but obviously thats not gonna happen!! lol good luck modding

Go away lol

Man I appreciate the offer, but know me, this would lead to something else and something else so on and so on.

My regular cab Chevy is the toy, Im mainly looking to get rid of the throttle stop, and if I gain a few HPs in doing so, thats fine too

If I had big plans for the future, Id definatly take you up on the offer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts