Nissan Titan Forum banner

HELP! Factory Nav Screen went blank, and no radio.

32K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Chelsea 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 LE with Navigation and today when I started it up it was blank. When it is dark I can see the screen is glowing. I have climate controls still, but no screen. Also funny thing is that I have no radio or cd functions. WHen powered up I can eject the last cd played, and when I put the cd back in that cd will play. I can not shut it off, and I can not adjust the volume. Not even the steering controls will work for the radio. I have power everything so this is strange. Any ideas?

The precursor two weeks ago my BRAKE VDC OFF and SLIP LIGHT were on at times with start-up. Last week the lights went away. Anyone have an idea?

#2 ·
Well I think that stumped everyone. Last night I noticed their was power to the unit and it was glowing. This morning I took out my little battery wrench and disconnected the battery for a minute, then re-connected it and everything works again. No idea why it happened, but at least now everything is back to normal for now.

#3 ·
Just wanted to chime in that I also experienced this same occurrence today in my 2005 Titan. No display and no radio function. Cleaned the battery terminals as noted above and it fixed my problem also.

Edit: Thought it was fixed but alas ........... no. Worked the first time after disconnecting the battery but after that the screen went blank again. Hmmmmm

#4 ·
Fix Ever Found?

My 2004 CC LE just did this while driving. Playing DVD and the radio just shut off as well as nav screen. Climate functions still work but no radio/dvd/cd controls at all and no nav display - though it does look like the display is still being backlit. Did you find a fix for your issue?

#5 ·
My 2004 CC LE just did this while driving. Playing DVD and the radio just shut off as well as nav screen. Climate functions still work but no radio/dvd/cd controls at all and no nav display - though it does look like the display is still being backlit. Did you find a fix for your issue?
The controller is shot and needs to be replaced. Because the backlight stays on after power off, you'll need to address it sooner than later so you don't come out to a dead battery every day ...... replace it or unplug the unit from the rear of the controller. I chose to unplug it and haven't replaced it yet. You can find used ones on E-Bay.

Also you can search this forum for tips on how to remove part of the console/dash to get access to the controller.

#6 ·
Do you have a part number?

By "controller" do you mean the head unit for the radio (attached to the CD changer) or the control unit for the radio (the dash bezel with all of the buttons on it)? If it is the head unit that isn't so bad since my CD changer stopped working last year and that comes with the head unit purchase from ebay. Did you fix your issue? Did you replace the head unit or the actual control panel (bezel). Based on what it is doing I'd lean more toward it being the head unit.

Thanks...

#8 ·
Mine is a 2004 LE CC with Rockford Fosgate system and navigation. I can disconnect the negative battery terminal overnight and the radio will run with nav screen for about 10 minutes and then shut off again. I am curious which part specifically needs replacing. The nav display itself is fine so I think the issue is either the radio control unit (though after disconnection that works just fine for the 10 minute period too) or the head unit. I am leaning more towards the head unit. What plug did you disconnect?

#9 ·
The display unit is bad and needs to be replaced. The plug I disconnected is located behind the display unit. 24-pin molex. It's a bit hard to reach but can be done with some patience and without removing the entire display unit. You'll still have to remove the dash bezel however. This allows you to not have to be bothered with your battery draining until you replace it.

#10 ·
Anyone able to get this fixed?

Guess I'll be resorting to dealership service soon but I thought I'd give a shout to see if anyone had any thoughts on this yet or fixed it themselves? I just don't want the dealership to throw parts at it in trial and error fashion until they get something that works. That'll be pretty expensive. :(

In may case the nav/radio doesn't work most of the time and then on a random start-up it will come on and work for the duration of that ignition cycle - no matter how long I drive it. The display will work fine, all of the controls, etc. Then upon next ignition it will go back to not working again.

I am a leaning towards a bad ground, loose connection, or even a software issue on mine (it frequently comes up with temperature reading on the display and/or driver/passenger on the display) - both features of the Armada but not on my Titan.

Anyway, just thought I'd check if anyone has actually fixed this issue.

Thanks!

#12 ·
Solution? I haven't seen one on this page yet. You stated you disconnected your defunct display via the 24-pin molex connector so the LCD backlighting didn't drain your battery. I've done that as well, but I haven't seen anything from you that states that you replaced the bad display with a working one and everything is fine and dandy now. Is that the case? If so, that would be the confirmation I was looking for. Thanks!

#15 ·
Can anyone give me more info on this problem. My screen went blank and it shut my radio and everything down. Next morning, came back on for a minute, did the same thing again. This morning, came on a bit an then shut right back down.

I am thinking it my be something called the Control Assembly for AV - it is s part behind the screen that I believe is the computer for lack of a better term. Can someone help or give advice. Love my car, but no radio and no read outs for AC etc is tough. Hoping to DIY Fix this.

#16 ·
Yes, this can be a DIY fix. You are looking for a replacement GPS Navigation Control Module/Assembly. It runs roughly perpendicular (slight angle) to the GPS screen in your vehicle and is connected to it by a metal bracket. It is a small metal box with two incoming connections. When I replaced mine, I am fairly certain I used part number 28330 5Z001 and picked it up off ebay for $100. It looks like they are now running about $150 for a used unit. The replacement process is very straightforward depending on your specific vehicle. It would probably be best to pull your unit out first to verify you are searching for the correct part number. Mine is a 2004 CC LE. Your configuration may vary slightly depending on year/model. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.