Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is my first post on here! I usually just read the forum but I am so pissed that this has happened I had to share my story. I would like feed back on what I need to do about this. I am sure that they will make it good but do I ask them to do the new TSB where they replace the whole assembly? I paid $300 to have just the seal replaced. What should I do in this scenario? Or would you let them just try and do it the old way again. By the way I have a 04 CC SE OR. No warranty left because of age of vehicle. The truck only has 54,000 miles on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Go back to them, i would guess they just reused your axle bearings. The stock axle bearings aren't all that great on my 04, I just did mine last week. Also my axle vent was completely plugged. But definitely go back in there and raise some hell. You paid your money and they did shotty work. Ask them about the bearings also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I will surely be taking it back to them. I just cant believe that it was supposidly fixed by a Nissan Dealership. I had to have the other side replaced as well but I had the previous owner do it before I purchased the truck. he took it to his regular mechanic and they fixed that side their. No additional problems with that side as of yet. I am crossing my fingers that it's been fixed right the first time. How do I check the axle vent? I have been hearing about doing some kind of axlw vent mod? Have you done that and if so how hard was it to do?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would bet they didn't change your axle bearing when they did your seal. The axle vent is a one inch tall little caped cylinder on the passenger side. All you need is to unscrew it, and screw in the hose fitting from any toyota dealer, get 7 ft. of fuel hose and a small inline fuel filter with four clamps and it takes 10 minutes. I'll find that toyota part number, it cost me like $4.00.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the replies. I will be on the look out for that part number. I will definatley like to do that mod this weekend. Well on another topic I just got back to my office and I am noticing a strange sound comming from under the hood when parked at a stoplight or at an intersection. It almost sounds like something is griding under the hood? Kind of a knocking noise but I do not think it is comming from the motor? When I accelerate it seems to go away. It doesn't due it all the time just every once in awhile. What could this possibly be? Maybe a fan going bad or something with the AC? Mine I think that I am starting to not like the idea that I purchased this truck last week.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Go back to them, i would guess they just reused your axle bearings. The stock axle bearings aren't all that great on my 04, I just did mine last week. Also my axle vent was completely plugged. But definitely go back in there and raise some hell. You paid your money and they did shotty work. Ask them about the bearings also.
Um no, we have to cut the bearing and retainer ring off just to replace them. either they got damaged upon installation or the breather is completely clogged and it just blew the seal back out. I always remove the breather and soak it in parts cleaner the whole time I'm doing the seals so it's sludge free.

·
Registered
451 Posts
If you want to see what disassembly looks like, check out

If the entire 7 part series doesn't show up on the right, search youtube for 'TheSkeeter2'. I haven't combined the shorter vids yet. I just replaced my right rear seal last weekend. There's also a shot of the axle vent mod in the first segment so you'll see what it looks like.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Another possibility is that the new seal is actually not leaking but the dealer was remiss in not cleaning up the oil residue after the rear axle was removed and re-inserted.

When I had my True-Trac diff installed, per Nissan's recommendation to replace the rear axle seal every time the rear axle shaft is removed, I had new seals, bearings and spacers replace by the shop that performed my True-Trac install.

After my True-Trac was installed, with new rear axle seals, spacer & bearings, the next day it appeared I had two leaking rear axle seals: http://www.titanspot.com/Titan/index.php?showtopic=8626&view=findpost&p=140694

I cleaned off the oil residue and 18 months later, the seals are fine.

I'm not saying your new seals are not leaking but there is also the chance the dealer failed to clean up the oil residue after the install.

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
Axle Vent Mod: I installed the Nissan Part Number 38323-C601A and it fit like a glove.
I used a 7/32" hose and Fuel Filter Part Number FF2314 from Autozone, it has a smaller than normal nipple to fit into the 7/32" hose, 99% of the fuel filters i found had a 3/8" nipple.
I used a zip tie to secure the hose to the new breather tube and since i do not go off roading or any deep water crossings, i zip tied the filter to the crossmember above the axle, if i go through water deep enough to get to the filter i will have water in the cab.
14MM wrench to remove the stock vent and a 12MM wrench to install the Nissan Part.

More Info: http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-faq-howto-area/28334-axle-vent-issue-solution.html

As far as the noise under the hood, check the belt tensioner, it may need replacing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for all the help. I just checked the axel seal leak this morning and it doesn't seem to be leaking now. Maybe it was just some excess grease that was leaking down from were they replaced it. I will keep on eye on it to make sure. I am going to try and do the vent mod this weekend. Thanks agian this site has ben GREAT!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.