Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 05 LE CC 4x4 in Florida and I live in New York. The truck has 108k on it and overall it appeared to be in very good shape. I paid $13200. It was purchased from a dealer, but apparently not a good one. I did my homework on them, but I guess the lack of any reviews might mean something. Anyway, They said the truck was checked and it was in good working order. My wife flew down and drove the truck back. I took it to Nissan for a couple of open recalls and they said that the manifolds were cracked($2300), there's a leak in the tranny lines($382), the rear pads need to be replaced($283), the differential pinion seal is leaking($280) and it needs an axle replaced on the driver's side rear($600), total is $3800. While I am handy, I don't have a lot of automotive repair experience. I figured I was better off putting on aftermarket headers since the first set cracked, why wouldn't the second ones. Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
The leak in the transmission cooler lines is probably due to the poor factory spring type clamps. It is a very common problem. Go buy a couple of stainless worm type clamps and replace the others. A couple of dollars will fix the problem. Be sure to check your transmission fluid level.
Replacing the rear pads is an easy job; you can do it yourself for less than $50.00.
The differential seal replacement isn't a real hard job, but requires special tools and the knowledge to do the job. You may be better off to let the dealer do the job.
Why do they say you need an axle replaced? Bad CV joints?
Nissan has improved the manifolds, the new ones may not have the cracking problem. However you can install headers for a lot less than that amount (2300). You can install a set of Thorley long tube headers for less. The only modification to the rest of the exhaust system is to move the O2 sensors to a point just behind the cats in the B pipes.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The leak in the transmission cooler lines is probably due to the poor factory spring type clamps. It is a very common problem. Go buy a couple of stainless worm type clamps and replace the others. A couple of dollars will fix the problem. Be sure to check your transmission fluid level.
Replacing the rear pads is an easy job; you can do it yourself for less than $50.00.
The differential seal replacement isn't a real hard job, but requires special tools and the knowledge to do the job. You may be better off to let the dealer do the job.
Why do they say you need an axle replaced? Bad CV joints?
Nissan has improved the manifolds, the new ones may not have the cracking problem. However you can install headers for a lot less than that amount (2300). You can install a set of Thorley long tube headers for less. The only modification to the rest of the exhaust system is to move the O2 sensors to a point just behind the cats in the B pipes.
They said that replacing the axle seal wasn't sufficient. They said that there is a tech bulletin on it and the seals will fail again if they don't replace the axle. They didn't mention anything about the CV joints at all.

Sorry about the double post. I put it in the other category first and then realized it probably belonged here and didn't know how to move it. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
They said that replacing the axle seal wasn't sufficient. They said that there is a tech bulletin on it and the seals will fail again if they don't replace the axle. They didn't mention anything about the CV joints at all.

Sorry about the double post. I put it in the other category first and then realized it probably belonged here and didn't know how to move it. Thanks for the info.
Dealer told me the same thing after I had installed tru trac and lost both seals. Consulted a different dealer and they just replaced the seals like I wanted.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
The leaking pinion seal doesn't have anything to do with the axle. You said the pinion seal was leaking. Is it an axle seal?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pinion seal and the axle seal are leaking. The dealer said to replace the axle because of the seal. He said Nissan put out a tech bulletin on it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Replace seals and do the axle vent mod to help prevent in the future.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The pinion seal and the axle seal are leaking. The dealer said to replace the axle because of the seal. He said Nissan put out a tech bulletin on it.
I'm a bit skeptical on this. It used to be that Nissan replaced the entire axle assembly when the axle seals leaked. But they don't seem to be doing that much anymore. My pinion seal also leaked on my Titan.

Most of this stuff is non-critical. The brakes might be an exception - it depends on how much material is left on the pads and how well it is stopping now. Normally the front pads go first but with your miles it may be that the front pads have already been replaced and the rear pads are just now at the point they need to be replaced.

I would complain to the dealer that sold the vehicle to you, if it was a Nissan dealer. It's worth a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts