Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two weeks ago I replaced all of the fluids in my T with Royal Purple, including:Rear Diff, Tranny, and Oil. I also did the plugs, and serpentine belt. I just turned 65K on a 06 KC 2wd. I did the spill and fill on the tranny but did it 4 times, starting the vehicle and shifting gears between each time. In total I put 11.5 qts of RP in, obviously losing some during each spill. Now the issue...

About a week before I changed the fluid my tranny slipped between 3rd and 4th on an on ramp. I figured it was time to replace fluids. Now, my truck shifts awesome... 90% of the time. Within the past 2 days, my tranny will miss shift into 4th. It only seems to happen when the truck is at operating temps and on normal acceleration, with mixed coasting (back roads w/ lots of corners). I have found that it seems to do it when I am coasting and then give it gas. The RPM's raise without any, or very little, power to the wheels. I do not have any check lights on, so am not sure if its my tranny. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I checked the fluid and it is in the middle of normal range, not full or low.

At this point I am thinking it could be my torque converter or transmission control module. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
396 Posts
sounds like a torque converter issue to me...but hard to say.

for starters i would top off the fluid. many have said on here if its even a quart low..it will not operate properly. the fluid should be at the top line/hole after the tranny is completely warm (needle about mid position). my brand new T is topped off from the factory. i kept my old T filled the same and she never skipped a beat.

when you checked the fluid did you check it while warm and running? if not you need to.

·
SHIFT_Track_ADDICT
5,352 Posts
start saving.. thats when 2/5 of my transmissions blew up was right after changing fluid.. what happens is old gunk is loosened from not doing routine spills and fills every 20-30k then it lodges itself inside the valvebody and u lose line pressure and burnt clutches= 2,500-5000 rebuild

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to hope on it being the tq converter. Is there anyway to clean the gunk out of the tranny? I know it is not advised to do flushes but what about pulling the pan off and cleaning the filter/screen? I am worried that it is going to be the transmission. Is there anyway to diagnose this without taking it to a tranny shop?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Good luck check out GTmotersports if you live in cali you can bring them your tranny not to sure on that but I wish i could afford them!

·
Registered
155 Posts
sounds almoust like the same prob my bro is having but he just turns it off and restarts it and it gose back 2 normal ..dose urs say slip.when the rpm shoots but the the truck dosent move ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good luck check out GTmotersports if you live in cali you can bring them your tranny not to sure on that but I wish i could afford them!
Ironically, I lived in Cali until about a year and a half ago. Now live in Northern Virginia (DC area). When it comes to the T I wish I still lived in Cali, there are so many more titans and people that are capable of helping out there. Oh well, I got a shop a couple miles down the road that I may end up bringing it to tomorrow.

I checked the fluid yesterday and let the truck warm up, but it did not get to operating temps when I checked it. The fluid wasn't low but it could take a half qt or more to "top it off." Maybe that's what the issue is. I only notice it when going around corners and up/down small hills at quick speeds. So maybe the fluid is being pushed away from the gears because it is not completely full. On straight/flat roads I have not noticed it at all. So, I will throw 1 qt in it today and maybe that will take care of it. if not, my bank account will be going bye bye.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sounds almoust like the same prob my bro is having but he just turns it off and restarts it and it gose back 2 normal ..dose urs say slip.when the rpm shoots but the the truck dosent move ?
No, but the "slip" light has come on and stayed on before. Usually when it gets really cold out. I assumed it was an electronic failure because when I restart it it goes away. I never thought much of it because it drove normal and I never noticed any difference in the way it was operating. It has happened relatively often this winter, about once or twice a month (maybe more). but when my transmission doesnt grab and the rpm's go up the light doesn't come on. No lights come on for that matter. It only slips after I coast briefly and give it more gas. When I put the pedal back down the RPMs go up with the fuel input but the tranny doesn't feel like it is grabbing anything (like being in neutral). When I take my foot off the gas and let it coast for a little longer and put my foot on the gas it will grab again, sometimes it will miss a few times in a row before it grabs again.

·
Registered
406 Posts
maybe you can work in a trans go shift kit upgrade with your rebuild keep researching here and at titan talk do this and you will learn the right questions to ask when you pick a shop

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maybe you can work in a trans go shift kit upgrade with your rebuild keep researching here and at titan talk do this and you will learn the right questions to ask when you pick a shop
I plan to do the shift kit if I have to replace the tq converter or the transmission... that is kind of a given for the situation. If I have to do a rebuild then I will probably follow the advice of relentless titan and go with the kit they used, which includes the transgo and alto red eagle clutch pack. My neighbor is good friends with a guy that rebuilds transmissions and his shop is only about a mile down the road, which is nice. The problem is I don't even have another vehicle to drive while it is in the shop. I was looking to get a bike for this summer and now if I have to pay for a tranny I wont have the cash to get that as a second set of wheels. When it rains it pours, so to speak...

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
Your tranny is going BYE BYE. Mine did the same thing, slipping in 4th, cost $4000 to replace it. Have a tranny shop run the trans code you will find a code for the Revolutionary Speed Sensor. A P1716 is the most common, when the RSS goes out it kills the clutches in 4th and 5th.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I have an update... both good and bad. Lets start with the bad
1) I will not be able to put in a shift kit
2) I will not be able to rebuild the tranny with performance upgrades

The Good...
1) It is being fixed under warranty
2) There is a $50 deductable... so

I am getting a new tranny for $50, oh, and a rental car... Either way it is ridiculous that a transmission would go out at 65K but at least it is being covered. Thanks for the help and support throughout the thread.
:thumbsup-big:

I'm still out the $130 for new RP tranny fluid I just put in it, but oh well...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.