Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:scheibe-big:Our Titan started out dying after being started, no noises just slowly dies. Once started it's fine & this would only happen every once & a while, but it would die at least 3 times in a row.
Now it has gotten to where it is un-driveable. If you let off the throttle to come to a stop it either dies or tries to. It also just recently started wanting to die even going down the highway. When it is not doing this it has full power no noises or other symptoms.
We put in new spark plugs, have had the fuel pump & lines tested, alternator & battery tested, mass air flow sensor cleaned, the throttle body completley cleaned out & a scanner on three times to see if it throws any fail codes(of course truck runs fine when using scanner). Every thing comes back perfect, but it is still doing this & getting worse. We have now brought it to 3 mechanics & hasn't solved anything. Has anyone had this happen? Any ideas please.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
What year Titan do you own?

Have you had it to a dealer for diagnosis?

Although inconsistent with the info provided, the primary start/run failure on Titans (and difficult to find with diagnostic tools), has been the IPDM, particularly the ECU Relay on the IPDM. Have you tried switching the ECU Relay with the Foglight Relay to see if the symptoms go away?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Titan dying

What year Titan do you own?

Have you had it to a dealer for diagnosis?

Although inconsistent with the info provided, the primary start/run failure on Titans (and difficult to find with diagnostic tools), has been the IPDM, particularly the ECU Relay on the IPDM. Have you tried switching the ECU Relay with the Foglight Relay to see if the symptoms go away?
My first choice would be the IPDM as well.

Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
746 Posts
IPDM is probably going out, if not it is out. Order it online since the dealership charges up the butt for it. This should solve your problems. What year is your Titan by the way? 04'-07'????

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
This does sound like the relay problem.
However, there is a recall on the ECU relay in the IPDM. Don't spend any money on this problem until you check with your dealer about the recall.

·
Registered
317 Posts
if it isnt the relay issue...what about the egr valve? ours is solenoid actuated right?

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
We don't have an egr valve.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tried switching the relay & so far so good! Thanks for the advice. I can't believe it could maybe be something that simple, but if it is yeah! BTW it is an 04 & we had taken it to a dealership but not a Nissan one yet, we were just really wanting to try & figure it out before pooring out that much more money on the problem. Can someone foward me the link where we can order the ECU relay? Thanks

·
Registered
746 Posts
Try looking at Nissan Courtesy Parts. If there is a recall, then I would check with the dealer. I just called mine now and they are looking in to my VIN to check if my Titan is one of them.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
PM "RobKar", he sells them for $10. They are the correct Relays, with a Diode inside. I would buy 2, and deal with the recall afterwards. $20 is cheap peace of mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts