Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ses light came on the titan last night so I ran it up to autozone. obdII says p0430. Anyone have this and what fixed it. titan just hit 100,000

p0430
Catalyst system efficiency below threshold - bank 2
Probable cause:

1. Large Vacuum Leak
2. Fuel System Fault
3. Ignition system fault
4. Failed bank 2 catalytic converter

Do I need to replace the catalytic converter? And will it hurt anything if I don't fix it for a while?

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
You can switch sides with the O2 sensors. If the code changes to 420, then the sensor is bad. If the code stays the same, then you have one of the listed problems.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
It's the sulfur in fuel additives being burned off during high loads (being released as hydrogen sulfide) that causes that rotten egg smell. The catalytic converter can't always burn it all off and stores it until the engine is under load. Over time, this can damage the catalytic converter which is why some manufacturers recommend a good stomp on the go pedal once in a while. It can also be caused by a lean condition or the need for a tune up. But it doesn't generally mean a bad converter...unless it does it all the time.

·
Registered
894 Posts
It's the sulfur in fuel additives being burned off during high loads (being released as hydrogen sulfide) that causes that rotten egg smell. The catalytic converter can't always burn it all off and stores it until the engine is under load. Over time, this can damage the catalytic converter which is why some manufacturers recommend a good stomp on the go pedal once in a while. It can also be caused by a lean condition or the need for a tune up. But it doesn't generally mean a bad converter...unless it does it all the time.
I did not know that.. I always stomp on it though at least once a day (when I drove it daily).. smell was more common than not.

Good info though!

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I have the same exact problem. "bank 2". didn't have a problem until I swapped out the stock cats for high flow's. hasn't affected anything as far as performance. gonna get it fixed soon though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.