Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the plan. I just pick up the T a week or two ago and with the amount of driving that I do I need to pick up some extra MPG's.

The question to all of you is what have you used and what have you liked and what if any gains have you seen. I understand that most of these I will see HP and TQ gains :thumbup:more so than MPG's. I am a big believer in the fact that if the truck can run more efficient I will see MPG gains. I have a list of the companies that I like out of each category. I just want to know what works before I pull the trigger on any of them.

This is the list and it might not happen in this order. I do know that the Tonneau will 1 or 2.
1) Tonneau
2) Intake
3) Programmer
4) Exhaust

Thanks for all of you input.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
IMO none of these will increase mileage. To get the best mileage possible make sure tires are inflated to the proper pressure, don't make sudden starts and stops, use cruise control and keep RPM below 2,000.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well I guess I will beat the dead horse but if you are looking to gain more MPH of significance then you have the wrong truck. I have about all you have listed and I am getting about 11 I'm the city and about 16 on the hwy (big tow gears obviously). The tonneau did not give me anything of significance. The best uou can prob do is use cruise as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
like the above ...none of this is gana help with MPG but!!
I would start of first with a programmer, I have UpRev but I don't think you'll be needing that so just go with a BD or a SC

Exhaust.... if I would do it all over IDE go JBA

Intake ...any are good but some are more expensive S&B great performance and will not hurt your pocket

Can't help you with the cover I don't want one or like the way they look

·
Registered
304 Posts
IMO none of these will increase mileage. To get the best mileage possible make sure tires are inflated to the proper pressure, don't make sudden starts and stops, use cruise control and keep RPM below 2,000.
What he said ^^^

Well I guess I will beat the dead horse but if you are looking to gain more MPH of significance then you have the wrong truck. I have about all you have listed and I am getting about 11 I'm the city and about 16 on the hwy (big tow gears obviously). The tonneau did not give me anything of significance. The best uou can prob do is use cruise as much as possible.
What he said too ^^^ Tonneau did nothing for me. Also bought the Bully Dog GT Tuner and it did nothing either. Neither of which I bought to improve fuel economy. The tonneau I bought because I like to carry stuff in the back out of the weather, but I still need the pickup bed, so I bought the roll n lock. The BDGT I bought because I wanted more horsepower off the line, and I wanted to play around with the settings.

I replied to a few posts about mpg and what you are actually getting for your money. I don't know what you paid, but I was able to get my truck for $15,000-$17,000 cheaper that any of the top 4 makers. I can buy a whole lotta gas for that and I'm happier. I drove a 2010 chevy when mine was in the shop because some idiot hit me. I hated it! The Chevy drives and rides like crap compared to my T.

Oh crap. Soap Box. Sorry. Get the mods you want, but make sure you ask people that have them before you buy. This way you know you are getting what you paid for.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
After I put my mud tires on I dropped from 18 hwy to 11. Like you, I wanted to get some more mileage. So I got the Superchips Cortex and most of the time have it set to the Gas Saver tune. I just took a trip this past weekend and got 17 one way, and 16 on the way back. And even on gas saver, my truck is more responsive than stock. And depending on how I'm driving in the city, I normally get 13-14. Mileage definitely isnt something to brag about with these trucks, but I couldnt be happier with mine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the input guys. I wasnt expecting a ton of change in MPG's but as it stands now I average 18mpg's per tank. If all of these mods help me get to around 20 (if I stay out off the gas:feuerkopf2-big:) that would be outstanding.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
18 MPG average is already outstanding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
"Net" Savings?

Unexpectedly I am now a Titan owner. I wasn't in the market but an 09 4X4 KC popped up on Craigslist for $15k and I bought it. Just drove it for 500 miles this weekend and love it! Heres my mpg question. Has anyone removed the tailgate for a net or aluminum tube type tailgate? I'm no fan of the net look, especially when they sag but the stock tailgate is very heavy and may also cause drag. The stock tailgate can easily be put back on when needed. With gas going up I'm just looking for any way to save. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Myth Busters ran a test on mileage with the tail gate up and down. They got better mileage with the tail gate installed, in the up position.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I only get 18 on HWY trips. 13-15 local. 20 is a rarity under ideal conditions for very few Titans.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I'd pass out if I ever got 18 MPG! I don't do a lot of non towing hwy miles though. I average about 12.4 MPG overall. I have the tonno and BullyDog but never noticed any difference. That's not to say it didn't do anything, I just haven't bother to check it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only reason that I am at 18mpg's right now is because it is all hwy. I drive 48 miles one way to work and 45 of those miles I am at 65-70 with the cruise on.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I believe I got about 1/2 mpg improvement (19 to 19.5) with a bed cover (only helpful on the highway). I think the best help would be larger diameter tires, But I can't find anything bigger than 275/70/18.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts