Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I am looking at purchasing a new to me Titan this weekend, if it'll still be there. Its an 04 SE Crewcab with the suicide doors. It has only 29,232 miles, fiberglass bed cover and I really dislike the brushgaurd that is on there. That is definitely a craigslist candidate. It is really nice, I went and looked at it today. They are asking 17,900. I am definitely going to talk them down. Anyway, what should I be looking at?? I know when I bought my Wrangler it was important to have a Dana 44 rearend and a higher gear ratio. Cuz I put 35'' tires on it. What are the things I should look at and see what options it has and doesnt?? Like, what are the important things to have for bigger tires and like offroading?? It did have a button on the dash for diff lock and tow mode button...Thanks

Here she is....

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a 05 kc se, check for rear axle seal leaks, possible radiator leaks at the bottom. make sure it is up to date on recalls. the mileage is really low and looks like a beautiful truck. The price seems high for that year, just my opinion.I still love my truck and really enjoy driving it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a 05 kc se, check for rear axle seal leaks, possible radiator leaks at the bottom. make sure it is up to date on recalls. the mileage is really low and looks like a beautiful truck. The price seems high for that year, just my opinion.I still love my truck and really enjoy driving it.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. How would I know and find out if it is up to date on the recalls?? He showed me the carfax and really the only replaced part was the battery. I will definitely check the pinion and diff seals, I know all about them. I had to change them on my Wrangler. Also, I wouldnt have to pay to have the recall items fixed, would I??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ditto on checking out the rear axle. The 04-07 Titans have a high rate of rear axle seal failure/leaks. Other than that I would strongly suggest running a Carfax report. Those reports are worth the money considering the amount of money you are looking to spend. 17,000 miles sounds too good to be true for an 04, but hopefully it was granny's Saturday grocery getter. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the info. How would I know and find out if it is up to date on the recalls?? He showed me the carfax and really the only replaced part was the battery. I will definitely check the pinion and diff seals, I know all about them. I had to change them on my Wrangler. Also, I wouldnt have to pay to have the recall items fixed, would I??
You can ask a Nissan dealer to run the VIN to check for any recalls and if any of them were serviced. If there is an outstanding recall you shouldn't have to pay for it as it is a recall, not a TSB or general service-after-warranty request.

I apologize for misquoting the mileage in my previous post. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ditto on checking out the rear axle. The 04-07 Titans have a high rate of rear axle seal failure/leaks. Other than that I would strongly suggest running a Carfax report. Those reports are worth the money considering the amount of money you are looking to spend. 17,000 miles sounds too good to be true for an 04, but hopefully it was granny's Saturday grocery getter. Good luck with your decision.
They showed me the carfax. It had minor things like brake pads changed and the only thing replaced was the battery. It has 29,232 miles and they are asking $17,900. I'm hoping I can get them talked down. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
17 Posts
They showed me the carfax. It had minor things like brake pads changed and the only thing replaced was the battery. It has 29,232 miles and they are asking $17,900. I'm hoping I can get them talked down. Thanks for the input
Cool, it sounds like a clean Carfax report. The reports are best for documenting accidents, major damage, number of owners, but not always repairs and maintenance because a lot of people like to do some of that work themselves. Anyway, just double-check how many owners there have been because I would think that an 04 with that low mileage and several owners may be indicative of a problem of some sort. But if the Carfax indicates only one or two owners you may have quite a find on your hands.

I also think you have a good chance of talking them down from $17,900. There aren't a lot of people looking for a 12 mpg truck these days and it is definitely a buyer's market. But if you really want it and it makes you happy
and if you can afford it, then price doesn't really matter - in my opinion anyway. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, it sounds like a clean Carfax report. The reports are best for documenting accidents, major damage, number of owners, but not always repairs and maintenance because a lot of people like to do some of that work themselves. Anyway, just double-check how many owners there have been because I would think that an 04 with that low mileage and several owners may be indicative of a problem of some sort. But if the Carfax indicates only one or two owners you may have quite a find on your hands.

I also think you have a good chance of talking them down from $17,900. There aren't a lot of people looking for a 12 mpg truck these days and it is definitely a buyer's market. But if you really want it and it makes you happy
and if you can afford it, then price doesn't really matter - in my opinion anyway. Good luck!
Thank you for the great advice!! I pulled up the carfax report online this morning. There has only been 1 owner. He/she bought it new in 04 and then in 03/11 it was purchased at an auction, I'd imagine by the car dealership. I took a half day off work today. So, I'm heading down to see if I can score me a Titan. I been wanting a Titan for sooo many years. Hope they can get me in the price range I can afford. :thumbsup-big:

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Don't forget the spider gears.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well?!?! What happened??? Did you get it???
Yep!! I picked it up today. Just got home about 2 hours ago. This thing is amazing!!!! I love being a Titan owner. I couldnt get them to budge at all on the price cuz they said they are under blue book, which they were. But, they did give me about 1800 more than I owed on my Jeep that I bought Jan 2010. So, after all the back and forthness Im paying $14.09 more a month for this payment. Im sooo excited!! Cant wait to put a lift and 35's on this puppy. I really love the fiberglass lid on the bed as well. I am really shocked this 04 really only has 29k miles. Anyway, I'm sure everyone will see a lot of me around here.

Don't forget the spider gears.
Spider gears?? Are you talking about the rear diff spiders?? What is up with those?? Care to elaborate please...thanks

:thumbsup-big:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Congrats on the truck!

Check out the rear axle. Look to see if it has an aluminum (silver) colored finned cover, or a black steel cover. 04's came with steel (black) covers and Nissan changed them over to alum. covers in 05. If you have a steel, you should look at getting the fluid changed (and/or getting an alum. diff cover) for peace of mind. With such low miles, it might still have the regular oil in the diff instead of the revised synthetic Nissan recommended.

Did they tell you if the truck got the revised front brakes? It wasnt a recall, but some 04's had a brake judder problem, which Nissan provided newer rotors for those who brought them in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase! Take care of her and she will treat you well. As spoonman indicated above, follow-up on the brake issue. By running the VIN a Nissan dealer can tell you if the brakes were upgraded or not, not to mention all additional service work performed by Nissan. Awesome!

·
Registered
304 Posts
The price is REALLY high. I wouldn't pay more than $12,000 from a dealer for a low mileage fully loaded 2004.

For $17,000 I bet you can find an 08. Most of the problems are solved in the 08's and above. I'd keep searching.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yep!! I picked it up today. Just got home about 2 hours ago. This thing is amazing!!!! I love being a Titan owner. I couldnt get them to budge at all on the price cuz they said they are under blue book, which they were. But, they did give me about 1800 more than I owed on my Jeep that I bought Jan 2010. So, after all the back and forthness Im paying $14.09 more a month for this payment. Im sooo excited!! Cant wait to put a lift and 35's on this puppy. I really love the fiberglass lid on the bed as well. I am really shocked this 04 really only has 29k miles. Anyway, I'm sure everyone will see a lot of me around here.

Spider gears?? Are you talking about the rear diff spiders?? What is up with those?? Care to elaborate please...thanks

:thumbsup-big:
Guess I should have read page 2. I'm glad you're happy with it. Congrates.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That is a lil high but my bud just paid 17.5k for an 04 LE CC 4x4. But sure enough that was book value and they wouldn't budge. I think it's all about location and private party vs dealer prices. Around here no 08 or even close can be had for what this guy paid. Good luck with your truck mate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Congrats on the truck!

Check out the rear axle. Look to see if it has an aluminum (silver) colored finned cover, or a black steel cover. 04's came with steel (black) covers and Nissan changed them over to alum. covers in 05. If you have a steel, you should look at getting the fluid changed (and/or getting an alum. diff cover) for peace of mind. With such low miles, it might still have the regular oil in the diff instead of the revised synthetic Nissan recommended.

Did they tell you if the truck got the revised front brakes? It wasnt a recall, but some 04's had a brake judder problem, which Nissan provided newer rotors for those who brought them in.
Yeah it has a steel cover! I was already looking in to changing the gear oil and upgrading the diff cover. I'm way in the know on how to do this. I changed rear ends in my Jeep from a dana 35 to a dana 44 and upgraded to disc brakes from drums. I had put a new diff cover on that and changed the fluid. They didn't say anything about the front brakes. Do you think if I take it to Nissan they will fix the brakes for FREE??? Also, what type and weight are they recommending for the gear oil?? Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it!!

Congratulations on your purchase! Take care of her and she will treat you well. As spoonman indicated above, follow-up on the brake issue. By running the VIN a Nissan dealer can tell you if the brakes were upgraded or not, not to mention all additional service work performed by Nissan. Awesome!
Thank you! I had planned on taking it to a Nissan dealer and have them run the VIN and have them fix the recalls. I hope they will replace the front brakes. :)

The price is REALLY high. I wouldn't pay more than $12,000 from a dealer for a low mileage fully loaded 2004.

For $17,000 I bet you can find an 08. Most of the problems are solved in the 08's and above. I'd keep searching.
They wouldnt budge on the price at all...trust me! I thought it was pretty high as well. But, they were right on the blue book price. This thing booked for over 18k. So by that means they wouldn't budge at all. They were about to let me walk but I am a presistent *ucker when I want something pretty bad. I wanted this truck. So, they just gave me a little more for my trade in. I was so persistent on the money payment that we were even going back and forth on $10 a month...lol!! Its only $14.09 more a month than the Jeep I traded in. So for that and getting a low mileage Titan in great shape, I'm ok with it.

Anyway, thanks for the comments everyone. I couldn't be happier with my purchase and this truck...I love it!!

That is a lil high but my bud just paid 17.5k for an 04 LE CC 4x4. But sure enough that was book value and they wouldn't budge. I think it's all about location and private party vs dealer prices. Around here no 08 or even close can be had for what this guy paid. Good luck with your truck mate.
Exactly! I've been looking pretty long and hard. I can tell you that no 08 with low mileage like this can be had for 17.5k. Like I said, I couldn't be happier! Thanks again everyone! Cheers!! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts