Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of not having HID's, I finally pulled the plug today and ordered a set for lows and highs. I ordered 6000K for lows and 5000K for highs (I use the high beams a lot where I live). I didn't bother with fogs since it may melt the housing, but are there bulbs I can just slap in that are bright white and will not harm the plastic housing?

Question for all of you who ordered from HID extra, I do not think I read anywhere about 35W and 55W difference with HID extra, but are their high beam kits already 55W and their lows 35W? Also, would I need anything else to be safe? I read about how DDM kits are melting wires and blowing bulbs in some Titans, and members have to purchase an upgraded harness? Would I need an upgraded harness? All I want is for my lights to turn on immediately with no flickering.

Thanks

·
Registered
894 Posts
After years of not having HID's, I finally pulled the plug today and ordered a set for lows and highs. I ordered 6000K for lows and 5000K for highs (I use the high beams a lot where I live). I didn't bother with fogs since it may melt the housing, but are there bulbs I can just slap in that are bright white and will not harm the plastic housing?

Question for all of you who ordered from HID extra, I do not think I read anywhere about 35W and 55W difference with HID extra, but are their high beam kits already 55W and their lows 35W? Also, would I need anything else to be safe? I read about how DDM kits are melting wires and blowing bulbs in some Titans, and members have to purchase an upgraded harness? Would I need an upgraded harness? All I want is for my lights to turn on immediately with no flickering.

Thanks
Hids for high beams is a pointless option. Youre much better off with keeping them the same, and getting three offroad lights for your lower grill with HIDs.

I have a ddm kit in my 21yr old truck and dont and havnt had wire issues. One trip they stayed on a full 38 hours minus gas station stops. Only thing I can think of an issue is a alternator volt regulator going bad increasing the volts thus making the wires melt due to excess power with higher RPMs..

Anywho, they are great. I have em in all four vehicles in the driveway and offroad kits. One old, three new/er.

I put rain-x on my headlights. Snow and hid lights are no friends. They burn cooler an halogen has more heat to melt snow quicker than hids

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

Thanks
I agree....I'd keep the high beams halogen. Most times you only have the high beams on for short periods of time. Considering that HIDs take a few seconds to come up to full brightness, it's probably not a great idea.
Stick with the 35W kit. You would have to specify if you wanted the 55W kit when you ordered. All these kits are the same, so if you heard something bad about DDM, it's because they seem to sell a lot of them. But if you want to be sure not to over-heat anything, I suggest using the HID wiring harness. it's cheap and easy to install and fuse protects your wiring and uses a relay to power the lights directly from the battery. It'll also help speed up the lighting of the HIDs and keep them from the dreaded flicker or no start problem.

BTW, I have the 4300k kit in my Titan and they're closest to what you see on most factory HID equipped vehicles. The wifes Quest has the 5k set and they're just a SLIGHT tinge bluer. The 6k were a little too blue for me. I even tried the 3k set but those were actually yellowish.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^ My order already shipped so it is a matter of what can I do to safeguard everything, i.e. the HID wiring harness you mentioned, thanks by the way. I live on an island where most of the back roads are jungle, so when I do use my brights, they stay on for a good 10 minutes or more.

So here is my final question for you Hudson, would the HID wiring harness from DDM work for HIDExtra's kits? I already emailed HIDExtra about this, but it doesn't hurt asking you for advice. Thanks

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yes. Remember, they are only wires. If not plug an play, shrink wrap or electrical tape after you splice things together. As long as you know what you are doing you are fine. The wires just need to be in correct order.

I have a harness for my offroad lights, only way to get power to em. Iirc their wiring is the same thickness as the titans. You will still notice a warm up period regardless what route you go.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
^^^ My order already shipped so it is a matter of what can I do to safeguard everything, i.e. the HID wiring harness you mentioned, thanks by the way. I live on an island where most of the back roads are jungle, so when I do use my brights, they stay on for a good 10 minutes or more.

So here is my final question for you Hudson, would the HID wiring harness from DDM work for HIDExtra's kits? I already emailed HIDExtra about this, but it doesn't hurt asking you for advice. Thanks
Yes, the connectors on most of these sets are identical. Your set and mine look the same. But like Jarvis said, you could always just splice them if they didn't. HIDExtra may tell you no so you buy their harness...but maybe not. The connectors will be the same so it really doesn't matter whos harness you use. You can look at pictures on both sites and compare. I posted both sites for you and yes, they're they same connectors! In any event, the harness is only $13 and simple plug-n-play. Easy, cheap insurance against damaging any factory wiring or fuses.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/101/

http://www.hidextra.com/9006-6000k-xenon-hid-bulb-single-replacement-pair--570

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're the man! Thanks Hudson, all ordered already. I forgot to mention, I will need one for the lows and one for the highs correct? Thanks man.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
You're the man! Thanks Hudson, all ordered already. I forgot to mention, I will need one for the lows and one for the highs correct? Thanks man.
Yes sir. Each harness is for one PAIR. The harness connects to the POS battery terminal and a ground. It then goes thru a (40A I believe) fuse and relay....then to each of the two headlamps. They're plenty long enough to reach anywhere in the engine compartment for any vehicle. So now instead of using power from the factory wiring, all the factory wiring is doing is activating the relay and giving it full power from the battery. When you see the harness, it'll be self explanitory...which is a good thing because it comes with no instructions.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds good to me. Thanks for all the help man, I appreciate it. I ordered a set of highs and lows for both Division6 and I along with 4 sets of HID relay harness's. I look forward to installing them and seeing the difference. CAN'T WAIT! i have not done a mod in a while. LOL Feels like X-Mas in November. haha

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^^ You too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts