Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think a high lift jack would be good to have when off roding. I was wondering if anyone here uses one, and if so where are your lift points for say changing a tire. I watched their video, but I'm not sure if the stock bumper is strong enough to lift without damaging it. I think the rear bumper is ok. Any thought or ideas would be helpful.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You have to find a strong point on the frame. I have used a high lift in various situation, including jacking from a tree sideways, a tire buried in deep snow when no trees or other trucks available. Very handy in most situations, except on a steep grade or loose soil. Alwyas carry a nice size of 1/2" plywood for stability on loose ground, works great under your high lift jack.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
You can place the Hi-Lift jack under the receiver hitch or possibly right under the center of the bumper. Once you get beyond the step portion of the bumper there isn't enough structure to support the weight of the truck. Beware! This is a really dangerous place to jack up your truck. Once you get the rear wheels up off the ground the Hi-Lift has a tendency to lean left/right and down comes your truck. I speak from first hand experience on this.

Consider buying the attachment for the Hi-Lift that can be attached to the wheel spokes. That is safer but I think you run the risk of having the Hi-Lift jack come into contact with your paint.

Yes, I do have a Hi-Lift jack. But I have never used it on my Titan except for the previously mentioned jacking point. It's kind of a waste of money but maybe it will work on someone elses vehicle that I'm four wheeling with.

I think the X-Jack is a lot more useful and it's really cool.
http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Tow-Straps-And-Recovery-Gear/Exhaust-Jacks/46.aspx

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That X jack is cool. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
494 Posts
A Hi-Lift is pretty much useless unless you have aftermarket bumpers and sliders. You also have to worry about it slipping so you may want to have other accessories from them to help prevent this. Not to mention, always protect your paint. I have seen too many stories of the jack denting a door, bedside or etc....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^^ yea I probably wouldn't need it, and for me it's probably waaay over kill. I don't plan on putting bigger bumpers or push bar on it either. I like the idea that you can use it for a winch . There is the strap with hooks that attachés to the spokes of your wheels as a lift point,but like you say it looks like the paint could be damaged and maybe even the finish of the wheel. I guess you have to weigh out the options,. Some paint damage maybe or being stuck somewhere with no help in sight. Being Retired Coast Guard I tend to plan for all possible situations. My truck is pretty geared up,with all recovery gear,survival gear, but no winch or big jack. I reckon I'll have to think about this one. I did come up with a good plan for the High lift Co. for an accessory. how about an attachment that would fit in the receiver hitch?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I did come up with a good plan for the High lift Co. for an accessory. how about an attachment that would fit in the receiver hitch?
That's a good idea. I did try sticking my jack in the hole - the hitch hole that is - and it did not fit. (This thread is just begging to be take waaaayyy off topic :) )

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I remember when most cars came with a lighter version of a high lift jack that attached to the bumbers. To bad they don't make bumbers that strong anymore.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Someone is telling their age

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Well I remember when most cars came with a lighter version of a high lift jack that attached to the bumbers. To bad they don't make bumbers that strong anymore.

My first car had one of them... a 1976 Olds Cutlass... the GUTLESS Cutlass I called it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts