Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i posted a thread a while back concerning a high pitched whistle around 18-1900 rpm under mild accelleration and only while in gear. took the truck to the dealer yesterday. i found i can simulate the noise by holding down the brake and putting the tranny in reverse then upping the rpms to 1900 give or take. the dealer was able to hear the noise but could not pinpoint it. after testing a brand new titan from the lot, they confirmed it too had the same noise, only quiter than mine. they feel it might be inheret to air going through the throttle body. to me, this does not make sense that it only occurs while in gear and not in neutral. they said some vehicle have "anomalies"
i took it home, took off the intake and wiped out the throttle body...no change. any ideas....

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
rockroper said:
well, i posted a thread a while back concerning a high pitched whistle around 18-1900 rpm under mild accelleration and only while in gear. took the truck to the dealer yesterday. i found i can simulate the noise by holding down the brake and putting the tranny in reverse then upping the rpms to 1900 give or take. the dealer was able to hear the noise but could not pinpoint it. after testing a brand new titan from the lot, they confirmed it too had the same noise, only quiter than mine. they feel it might be inheret to air going through the throttle body. to me, this does not make sense that it only occurs while in gear and not in neutral. they said some vehicle have "anomalies"
i took it home, took off the intake and wiped out the throttle body...no change. any ideas....
It's your intake and that's the sound of power. I've got a nismo intake and it does the same thing. My best guess is the whisle is coming from where the air enters through the opening on the fender well. Try covering that opening and see if it still whistles. You'll loose the "cold air" part of your intake but I'll bet you that's what it's from. I really like that sound (reminds me of a supercharger) but if you don't, try making a smoother opening at the fender well and that might help.

Reactions: BCTexas

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tried taking off the filter and the whstle was still present. besides, the same noise was present on a stock titan at the dealership and i first noticed even before the nismo...
i thought i might have a vaccuum leak somewhere but the dealer couldn't find it.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
No, the whisle is coming from the hole in your fender well I'm guessing. Right where the end of your filter is. Try covering that hole up and see if it goes away. The reason I know this is because I located a blower in my fender and sealed around the opening and I don't have that whistle anymore. I don't even have that whooshing sound at WOT but I'm getting a lot more air to the filter.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Here's a pic of what i did. That arrow is pointing to the opening I'm talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that looks great. what exactly is a blower for the intake? is this actually an electic blower??

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would like to know as well. I too have the same whistle at 1800 to 2000 rpms. It is very annoying and I could never replicate for the dealer. So please let me know about the blower option you came up with.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
as i mentioned, if you want to replicate the sound for the dealer, put it in reverse and keep your left foot on the brake while throttling up. keep a steady foot at 1900 rpms
note, when i did this the dealer had me keep it going for a couple of minutes and a service engine light came on indicating that i was in gear with sustained rpms but no movement. suggest you don't do it for very long when not at the dealer to reset the light

ryan, by the way, is that silver coating insulation? does the heat shield provided by nismo need some help keeping the filter cool or is that to seal up potential whistles from gaps in the shield. where did you get the blower and does it add to hp or torque, mpg?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You don't need a blower to get rid of the whistle. It's just the air sucking through the fender well opening. You don't want to loose that opening because that's where it draws the cold air from. So try lining it with something to give it a smoother airflow.

About my blower, the lining is a stick on insulation for ductwork and is to keep the engine heat away from the intake and to help seal the box so that the air blown in gets directed more towards the filter. The blower is actually a dis-assembled leaf blower. I cut it down to just the guts. It's located in the fender (which could pose problems with mud and rain but I haven't had any. There is a liner to help keep crap out so it's pretty safe). I think it would actually be better to locate it where the window washer fluid is and punch a hole opening near the grille (such as gr8titan did on titan talk). Then you either buy an inverter and connect it to the battery or buy one of those 18v coordless blowers. There are several fans out there that would work but I'd say you need atleast 100 cfm of air to be effective. Here's a pic of fan I'll probably use later on. It's an inline fan and you could connect a 4" duct to each side. Look up electric superchargers and you'll get a lot more info.

As far as gains, my butt dyno said I got a lot of juice out of it. I've got it wired to a switch so it will come on only when I want it to. I know for sure I'm getting a lot colder air to the filter.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
pics of fan and scematic of what I'm talking about

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
as i replied to your last message, i am so glad im not the only one with that stupid whistle. i have a completely stock 06 titan. it does it at the same rpm and like you said only in gear. i have 3000 miles and it started at about 1000. i has i think got a little louder. like before i got on the internet i called my dealer and i have to take in for a crocked 4x4 sticker on the driver side any way so i was going to get the to go ahead and tell me they can fix the whistle. and i also found out today that if i hold the brake and in gear giving it gas almost like i was going to power brake it i would do it really good. so let me see what my dealer says about it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, i put the insulation on the heat shield and even used a smooth rubber firnco to smooth out the opening in the fender well. still have the whistle. it is definately NOT coming from the fender well. The sound is very distinct and almost reminds me of a high pitched dog whistle. it is not the sound of power but that of annoyance. i hope the insulation will at least muffle the noise as well as keep the filter element cooler. as stated before, the noise was present on a dealer stock new truck only not as loud. of course mine now has 9000 miles on it and the sound has only been noticeable in the last 2-3000 miles. i think it might be louder due to a resonation difference in the nismo intake tube...because it is not plastic and of course has no dampeners.
i called nissan to return the nismo (practicallly brand new) and they said no. i will try to keep trouble shooting and muffling the sound without affecting performance.
i would love to know whatever the dealer finds out for you. my dealer could find nothing absolute....

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I swear that's where I though it was coming from because when I put my intake on i got that same whistle. It really didn't bother me but I put that blower in the fender well and pretty much sealed up that fender well opening and I don't have that whistle. Sorry i couldn't be more help. Did you try to seal off that fender hole completely? Gosh I swore that's where it came from.

You know what you need? A banks exhaust and a louder stereo....that solves all those annoying rattles and whistles

~also, you'll have no problem selling that intake on this site if you're trying to get rid of it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the exhaust would def. solve the prob!!
thanks again!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a nismo intake on mine and it does the same thing. my truck didn't do that until the intake was put on. It doesn't bother me for some reason. It does remind me of a turbocharger. i guess that is why it doesn't bother me. good luck on finding out.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I stayed awake thinking about this last night. I didn't have that whistle until I put my intake on. Then I put that insulation around the intake heat shield and located that blower in the fender and it's not there anymore. So either it was coming from the air getting sucked in around the heat shield or it's coming from the fender well. I'd first try sealing off that hole in the fender completely. If that doesn't work, try sealing the top of the intake box (maybe it's coming from the opening between the hood and the intake). If that doesn't work try sealing around the box or taking that out completely. I'm still convinced it's coming from that area.

·
Registered
734 Posts
My high pitched whistle started after i did the airbox mod, and continued after my aem was installed. I think it comes from the fender wall opening.

·
Registered
42 Posts
ryant831: I'm new to this site, but know to try to keep threads going on the same subject. HOWEVER, you mounted a LEAF BLOWER? to force air to the airbox??? It actually moves enough air to hold pressure to the filter? Sorry, but I find this completely facinating.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
medic1 said:
ryant831: I'm new to this site, but know to try to keep threads going on the same subject. HOWEVER, you mounted a LEAF BLOWER? to force air to the airbox??? It actually moves enough air to hold pressure to the filter? Sorry, but I find this completely facinating.
Welcome, good to have you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's your intake and that's the sound of power. I've got a nismo intake and it does the same thing. My best guess is the whisle is coming from where the air enters through the opening on the fender well. Try covering that opening and see if it still whistles. You'll loose the "cold air" part of your intake but I'll bet you that's what it's from. I really like that sound (reminds me of a supercharger) but if you don't, try making a smoother opening at the fender well and that might help.
I agree. I have a 2019 Nissan Titan Pro4x and I put a K&N filter in and it sometimes makes the whistle noise. I like it ..it sounds like a diesel engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts