Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Oklahoma City but have been working in Dallas for the last year and a half. I drive home every weekend about 400 miles round trip. So over 90% of my milage is on the highway with the cruise set at about 77 mph (pretty much a straight, flat and boring drive). What would be your opinions of how often I should change my oil other than every 3500 miles. I have a 2010 LE with Tow Package but have not towed anything yet.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Right now the dealer is doing my oil changes for me, but once they stop, I'll be switching to RP and doing oil changes every 7500 miles. Go here and enjoy:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

·
Registered
333 Posts
I change mine every 3750 as directed in the manual and plan on it for many many many miles to come.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Once you're out of warranty, Amsoil will allow longer drain intervals. Super High Performance is good for 25,000 miles, XL is 10,000 miles. Of course, you need to change the filter at the normal interval and top off. There is a site sponsor who is an Amsoil dealer. Since you're all highway, doesn't the owners manual state you can change at 7500, so using Amsoil XL would be a good choice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
forget the Amsoil stuff, that oil is for cult members not the real world and way over priced. I have never seen a engine failure related to oil. Just buy a good name brand oil and filter and change it every 10k miles and keep it topped off.

Keeping it topped off is the most important thing. I ran a Nissa Altima over 200k miles on Walmart oil with no issues, i think it is made by Castrol.

TK

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
In the owners manual Schedule 1 calls for the engine oil to be changed every 3,750 miles while Schedule 2 calls for it to be changed every 7,500 miles. While I really like my Titan there is no way I'm changing the oil every 3,750 miles.

I run AMSoil synthetic and it's proven to be good for at least 9,000 miles. I have the lab results to back up that claim. Check out the Oil Sample Reports thread: http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43.

rpmsr1, I recommend you go with Schedule 2 and change your oil every 7,500 miles if you are going to use a standard (non-synthetic) oil.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I just change my oil once it starts to get dark. I don't track mileage. I know it's more frequent in the summer when it 100+ out in TX.

·
Registered
400 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I run mobile one and run the oil 15000miles. I change the filter every 5000. Been doing this for years. Old people i knew growing up did it this way, and never had a problem. Old people known stuff. Use whatever synthetic you want. I don't know that mobile 1, royal purple, amsoil, etc are any better than each other. I like and use my choice.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I run mobile one and run the oil 15000miles. I change the filter every 5000. Been doing this for years. Old people i knew growing up did it this way, and never had a problem. Old people known stuff. Use whatever synthetic you want. I don't know that mobile 1, royal purple, amsoil, etc are any better than each other. I like and use my choice.
Interesting. I run Royal Purple in my vehicles and change the oil and filter ever 7500 miles.

·
Registered
748 Posts
According to Toddk9, HRTKD, myself and alot of us belong to some cult. Yea, the cult of good running long lasting engines and equipment. Maybe he trades his vehicles in every couple of years, but I keep my trucks about 10 years, and my collector cars forever, so I don't want any problems and am glad to invest the extra few pennies. The thing Toddk9 doesn't understand is that the brand names put their money into advertising, Amsoil puts it into the product. I also use American Refining Group's Brad Penn Penn Grade 1 in my air cooled engines, but again, I must be in a cult to understand the benefits, since you won't find Penn Grade 1 down at the K-mart or on your TV screen.

·
Registered
37 Posts
lol... Amsoil has a cult following.. If you want to waste your money, fine but don't push your waste on everybody else. Amsoil oil is not much better then any other synthetic oil anymore. 10 yrs ago, maybe.. Heck - Synthetic is not much better then dino oil anymore. Oil has greatly improved in the last 30 years. My recommendation is to change it and keep it filled. Never seen a engine failure because of a poor quality of oil. I do keep my cars about 10 years too..

For every study or story that says Amsoil is the best, there is same for Pennzoil/Castrol/Mobil/Shell.. I prefer something easy to get off the shelf. I personally run Mobil 1 in truck/ Shell Rotella Synthetic in my ATV's and Shell dino in wife's Quest.

The reason I call Amsoil users a cult? Amsoil users seem to beat there chest telling everybody else "we are the best" more then everybody else combined in every oil thread I read. I prefer to tell the person to find a good oil (Amsoil/RP/Mobil 1/Pennzoil/Castrol). Let him find what is best for him

Cheers,

TK

·
Registered
88 Posts
lol... Amsoil has a cult following.. If you want to waste your money, fine but don't push your waste on everybody else. Amsoil oil is not much better then any other synthetic oil anymore. 10 yrs ago, maybe.. Heck - Synthetic is not much better then dino oil anymore. Oil has greatly improved in the last 30 years. My recommendation is to change it and keep it filled. Never seen a engine failure because of a poor quality of oil. I do keep my cars about 10 years too..

For every study or story that says Amsoil is the best, there is same for Pennzoil/Castrol/Mobil/Shell.. I prefer something easy to get off the shelf. I personally run Mobil 1 in truck/ Shell Rotella Synthetic in my ATV's and Shell dino in wife's Quest.

The reason I call Amsoil users a cult? Amsoil users seem to beat there chest telling everybody else "we are the best" more then everybody else combined in every oil thread I read. I prefer to tell the person to find a good oil (Amsoil/RP/Mobil 1/Pennzoil/Castrol). Let him find what is best for him

Cheers,

TK
Nicely put...nuff said... I use Mobil 1 however it may not be the absolute best,buts its the least that I will run 5000 miles between changes with and I know people with specific cars that are not known for reliablity running way past the 200k mark with it. But if you trade every 100k-120k miles I honestly believe you could buy unopened thrift store oil as long as you change it every 3k. Don't want to hurt anyones feelings here but my titan with 30k miles did use a lil oil with the shell oil the dealership used the first few changes... and now stopped with my "TV" sponsered oil

·
Registered
748 Posts
Toddk9, sorry, but you can't group all "synthetics" together. Castrol was taken before the Federal Trade Commission and the FTC ruled that there is no definition of "synthetic" so Castrol could use a mineral base and call it synthetic. So, you may want to do some research before making generalizations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.