Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luckily only one pic on this how to thread.... :D

You'll need 3 qts. of your favorite gear oil, mine is the synthetic 75W-140, a drain pan and 3/8" drive ratchet. Piece of cake to do and only takes a few minutes.

The manual calls for 68ozs. but on the picture it shows to fill it to the bottom of the fill plug, which usually comes to 76ozs. This really is a must do even with only a few hundred miles on a new Titan. For some reason Nissan is famous for sending these trucks out with low diff. fluid levels, and that's certainly not a good thing. A common visual side effect from having a low fluid level is paint chipping or burning off the back diff cover. This comes from overheating the rear diffs. Please change this fluid ASAP if you haven't already.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i was wondering what would happen if i took the cover off completely to put the new one on.

should i drain it first then take it off or do you have any ideas on that. ive never even dealt with anything like that before so i have no idea about ANYTHING.

i didnt see a do it yourself thread on changing that out...could you possibly add that to this one perhaps :D

·
Banned
1,287 Posts
I have no doubt that per the suggestion of Jet last August when I got my truck that it saved me both a front and a rear diff. I found both of my fluid levels very low. (I couldn't reach the fluid with my pinky through the fill hole.)

If your going to change your diff cover go ahead and drain the fluid first before removing the cover. It will be a lot less messy that way.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Okay... here comes the retarded question....

I assume it's the same process for the finned differential cover on the 4x4 off road package? I mean bolts and plugs are the same?

Also - is there some sort of trick to filling it back up - some sort of special funnel or anything?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey phrt, the process is identical regardless of which cover you have. You can use a pump to get the oil in or you can snip the end of the bottle and squeeze it in there. Depends on which brand you bought. Amsoil comes in a container that you have to use a pump with, but most of the other brands you can just squeeze it in there.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Changed my differential fluid today. Replaced with Mobil1 75w140.

Very easy... Thanks for the "How To" Dale...

Brian

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I'm starting to notice a low moan/whine when I let off the gas and the truck coasts...Its not the tires...could it be the differential? And could changing the oil help?

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PeaceKeepr said:
I'm starting to notice a low moan/whine when I let off the gas and the truck coasts...Its not the tires...could it be the differential? And could changing the oil help?
If you haven't changed it out it's probably not a bad idea peacekeeper to go ahead and do it. As to the whine you're hearing, that could be coming from either the transmission or the rear end. Yours is a 4x2 right?? I know on my 4x4, the transfer case has always had a little bit of a whine, right from day one of ownership, but it's never gotten any worse, nor did it get any better when I changed out the fluid.

I would change it out if it was mine, especially if its never been done. At least you'll get the break-in junk out of it and some nice fresh lube back in... :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Is there a front differential that should be changed too? Same process?

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Predator said:

thanks
Yes predator, basically the same process. After the initial change in the front you shouldn't have to worry about it for quite a while. It's the back one you need to keep an eye on and change the fluid a few times to get it flushed out.

·
Registered
240 Posts
JetTech said:
Predator said:

thanks
Yes predator, basically the same process. After the initial change in the front you shouldn't have to worry about it for quite a while. It's the back one you need to keep an eye on and change the fluid a few times to get it flushed out.
What are you trying to flush out of the back differential (just the old oil)? I thought that when you drain it, you should leave the plug open and pour in some fresh synthetic and let that flow out until you see the clean oil. Why would you need to change the rear diff a few times?

thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know if I would leave the drain plug out and try to flush it that way. The fluid would just run down the side of the plate and out the drain probably not catching anything. Just change it a few times after running it several thousand miles, then you'll be sure to flush out the entire system.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Dale,

Should the rear diff be hot when changing the oil? I'm assuming this the way to do it, as thats how engine oil is handled.

Thanks!

Puv

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PuvMan said:
Dale,

Should the rear diff be hot when changing the oil? I'm assuming this the way to do it, as thats how engine oil is handled.

Thanks!

Puv
I would try to change it hot puv, that way the metals are still in suspension with the oil and haven't settled to the bottom of the housing. Throw'er in park and slide under.... :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Another question about the differential oil change.

I have found Mobil 1 75W140 at AutoZone. I plan on changing both the front and back differential oil. One thing our manual says:

Front final drive oil - API GL-5 SAE 80W-90 Gear Oil, *9, *10

Rear final drive oil - API GL-5 Synthetic 75W-140 Gear Oil, *10

*9: For hot climates, viscosity SAE 90 is suitable for ambient temperatures above 0° C (32° F).
*10: See your NISSAN dealer for service.

Are the front and rear final drive oils talking about the differentials? Why would they want something different in the front?

Does anyone know if Mobil 1 75W140 is good for the front and rear?

Also, the tech manual says to use Genuine Silicone RTV or equivalent when you put back in the drain/filler plugs. Any idea of something good to use for this?

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I was wondering this as well. I was going to do it in both, but now I'm questioning it. I hope someone chimes in here.

·
Registered
81 Posts
1. Well as far as the front and rear diff lube being different remember that your 4x4 is always in RWD and when shifted into AWD the load is shared so the need for the extreme duty lube in the front diff was not found . If it were front wheel drive only that may have changed. I would still use synthetic in both just stick with the OEM weight's .
2. As far as flushing the rear diff is concerned remember that your gear lube also travels outward to the left and right outer axel bearings at the end of the axel tubes so flushing it once first for a few hundred miles is not a bad idea. It's very low cost insurance.
Hope i helped.
Tony

1 - 20 of 52 Posts