Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to changing my transfer case fluid today. Just about froze my butt off but I'm glad I did it after seeing what was in there. The fluid looked like mud and the magnetic drain plug was covered, along with the bottom of my drain pan.

I used the Nissan Matic D fluid of which is recommended by the owners manual and service manual. You'll need to buy 3 quarts to do this job, mine took 2 quarts plus 6 ozs. of the 3rd to fill. The service manual says to fill it until it comes out, or is even with the fill plug.

You'll need a 10mm hex socket for the fill and drain plugs along with a 12mm socket for the skid plate bolts.

This would be a very good idea for all of you 4x4 folks to do as soon as you can. If you don't believe me, check out the pics!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Dale, as usual thanks for taking the time to help out. Looks like I need to check mine quick. Is there any other fluid you recommend or better to stick with Nissan brand?

Mike

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
is this usual wear? if its really that bad, do think that nissan will change it under warrenty?

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Mike, I don't have any other recommendations other than the Nissan brand because I'm not sure what it is. If I knew it was just cheap ATF then I would probably use something different but not knowing at this point, it's better to play it safe and use what's recommended. I forgot to add that I paid $6.38 a quart for this stuff!! Not as expensive as the Matic J that's in the transmission but still kind of pricey. I sure hope for that price it's not re-bottled Castrol ATF.... :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SMOKEDYA2 said:
is this usual wear? if its really that bad, do think that nissan will change it under warrenty?
I have nothing to compare it to smoke, just you owners that will hopefully change yours out, then we'll have something to compare it to.

And I highly doubt Nissan will change it out under warranty!!

Darnnit, there's one more thing I forgot to add....Change this fluid out HOT!! You want the non-ferrous metals to be in suspension when you drain it, not laying on the bottom of the transfer case!!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
if it gets a little warmer out i'll change mine and let you know mine looks like, but its only 9 degrees out. bbbbuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrr

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Thanks Yet Once More JetTech,

I plan on getting mine done soon. From what I've seen in past vehicles, the metal is normal (but not good).

Chief

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Perfect timing Jet

This has been on my "things to do to my titan" list for a few weeks now, along with changing the front diffy fluid to full synth. The pictures really help a lot, and that drain plug and pan.....man...that's worse than I'd expect by a long shot! How many miles do you have on your truck now? Do you use 4WD much?

I'm thinking about changing my xfer case fluid out to full synth AT fluid. Then I'll be full synth everywhere except the tranny, where you must use the Nissan Matic J stuff, w/o exception.....for now, anyway.

I'm confused, though. Amsoil's website states that you should use Nissan Matic D fluid in the xfer case for USA & Alaska, but Canada may use Nissan ATF or Dexron-III/Mercon as a substitute??? What gives.....anyone? Thanks JT...

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I currently have 7700 miles on my Titan. To me with that few miles this is excessive, but then again this is my first 4x4, so I'm not used to seeing transfer case fluid of any kind. It just looks really bad for those few miles in my opinion.

I read the same thing you did about the matic D fluid in the owners manual. I just haven't had time to do any research on alternative ATF's is the reason for me staying with the matic D.

G

·
GREAT post JT! I will be on this ASAP, unfortunatly ASAP does not include doing so when its 11 degrees out! (man I need to move!)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah, mines gettin' done soon as well. Is it July yet? :(

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I know what ya' mean BiXLL,

6 degrees this morning in Tobyhanna. Ouch!!!!

Chief

G

·
JT, I have been thinking about this all night, and a couple questions come to mind.

1. We have found major build up on the magnetic plugs of both the transfer case, and the rear end on initial change, even if done before recommended interval. This has me wondering if maybe we shouldn't think about an early initial change of trans fluid and filter? If we get that much from break in of rear and transfer case, why wouldn't the trans do the same thing? If it were to be in the trans, it would be potentially much more damaging then in the rears or transfer.

2. This also really has me wondering about the quality of the fluids Nissan has used. I as you, have changed ocer to synthetic in the rears, but now I am really interested in finding out if we can't go to synthetic, or at least a higher quality fluid in the transfer case and treans. Where would we find this kind of info?

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're certainly on the right track Bixll concerning the fluids and the capability of them.

I changed the tranny fluid on my last Titan at 20K miles and it looked as good as the stuff going in. I also changed the filter at this time and it too was fine. So I believe our transmissions are fine, which is a fine testament to having a filter and Nissans Matic J fluid. Both have got to be excellent.

With this truck I'm going to change the tranny fluid and filter @10K miles just to make sure I have the same luck with this one as I did with the last.

As far as different fluids for the transfer case and rear-diff. It seems like the switch to 75W-140 for the rear-diff is a good choice because it offers a higher flashpoint and should hold up to the heat much better then the 75W-90.

And the transfer case???? I'm not 100% sure about this fluid other then I'm starting to think it is re-bottled Castrol ATF. I'm going to do some checking around because I would like to put Mobil 1 ATF in there myself.

Oh yeah.........and get some SLEEP!!! :D

G

·
I will check with the tech at my dealership also. He seemed geniunely interested in the Titan, and we also talked about this forum to the point that when I was ready to leave, he pulled it up on his computer right there in the service bay!

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I knew I would stumble on something sooner or later concerning the Nissan Matic D fluid. It appears it's equivalent to plain ole Mobil ATF sold in Europe. What I've been looking at is the Product Data Sheets to determine if there is any difference in the European Mobil ATF and the USA sold ATF......Nope, no difference that I can find other than the USA site doesn't list it as an equivalent.

I also did some research in the service manual on the transfer case. It does have a small clutch assembly that enables it to be considered a shift-on-the-fly unit. So viscosity and additives are important when it comes to clutches and the proper coefficient of friction that's required for smooth engagement.

I believe at my next oil change I'm going to change the transfer case over to Redline ATF or Mobil 1 ATF and see what happens.

G

·
Well, I am currantly at a little over 5000 miles. I think come spring, I will change my rears again, as last time I used the Mobile 1 75 90, and with towing the boat I would feel better having the extra heat protection. At the same time, I will change transfer case over to Mobile 1 as well. I feel a lot better using synthetic over dyno. In fact, if I get the ok from my Nissan Tech, I may just go ahead and do the tranny, that way all fluids will be done, and out of mind.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Thanks JT, for researching the Matic D for us. I was pretty sure they were the same, but didn't want to make the switch w/o more info. As for the tranny, though, Nissan def doesn't want us using anything other than the Matic J stuff. But I think as long as we can find an synth equivelant to it, though, Nissan shouldn't be able to deny any warranty issues. I believe the Moss-Magnusson warranty act states that if the manuf denies the consumer use of an equivalent product, then they have to provide it free of charge.....isn't that right?

Based on your info, I'm def changing out the xfer case to M1 ATF, but I'm holding off on the tranny until more info is avail regarding a synth replacement.

Thanks!
Steve

G

·
Based on your info, I'm def changing out the xfer case to M1 ATF, but I'm holding off on the tranny until more info is avail regarding a synth replacement.
I am currently researching this hard, hope to have an answer soon.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts