Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great forum! I've got an XE Crew Cab and need to install a trans temp gauge asap. I'm buying a travel trailer in the next few days, have a trans cooler installed, class 3 hitch, will be installing weight distributing hitch, and brake controller. (should of got the tow package I guess) I've seen the gauges from autometer at Summit, do I need mechanical, electrical, digital? Also need to know the easiest way to wire 12v from ignition, and location of sending unit, trans return lines, etc. Can I go off the trans cooler return?

Thanks alot.
Dan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just read on another post that the Titan has a trans. cooler already. I thought it only came with the tow package? I installed a heavy duty cooler from Uhaul last week. Was it a waste of money?

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
I believe it does have one already. Hang on I will look for a post I think someone made a while back.
M4ck

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found this description online and numerous websites state the same thing, it states that only the tow package has a trans. cooler.

??????

"The close-ratio 5-speed automatic transmission has either a gated floor shifter (bucket seats) or a column-mounted shifter (bench seat). When switched to tow/haul mode, the transmission shifts holds each gear longer to improve acceleration. Besides standard two-wheel drive, the Titan is also offered in a shift-on-the-fly 4WD controlled by a dash-mounted dial (as opposed to lever). The off-road option package adds in a push-button differential lock and the largest off-road tires in the class. An optional "big tow" package - oversized brakes, transmission cooler, oversized battery, and modified transmission (among other alterations) increases tow capacity to 9500 pounds, again tops for a standard engine. The F-150's optional power train will pull 9900 pounds. Rated cargo capacity is about 1640 pounds, in line with the competition."

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Where are you getting that info from that could be the problem. Hopefully one of the more knowledged members will come in and help.
M4ck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just contacted my local dealer and they said w/o the tow package the Titan does NOT have a trans cooler. Maybe the lines are plugged going into the radiator and not used. Still trying to confirm.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Wait till JetTech gets on he will find out for sure. He can find out anything.
m4ck

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
hi roadie....tranny cooler woes???? Unfortunately there's a bunch of misleading/incorrect information on the net concerning the Titan. My knowledge is a little shaky on the 05's if that's what you have. Reason is Nissan tweaked a few things here and there without making the changes readily known. So if your's is an 05, I can tell you what to look for to tell if you have a tranny cooler. If yours is an 04, it has a cooler but is impossible to see. Let me know what year your truck is and then we'll go from there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HEY!! I have an '04. It's amazing how many people are under the impression that there is no "working" trans. cooler. Even the dealer says that there is one there, but is only "activated" when purchasing the tow package.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
roadie114 said:
I forgot, what would you recommend for a trans. temp gauge?
I really don't have any recommendations for temp. gauges. When people find out that their truck has a cooler they usually don't worry about it. Nor have I been involved with the installation of one in the Titans. I can look at the wiring diagram if you still want to install one.

If you're installing a class 3 hitch you won't even get close to the limits of the truck with that. Aren't those rated at 7700lbs??

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I was told 7500lbs. I won't be anywhere near that. We're getting an ultralite trailer, only weighs around 3400lbs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh well, maybe I wasted some money getting an aftermarket cooler. If that's the case, maybe it will still help quite a bit since it was a heavy duty cooler. Never towed before, but it sounds like most people don't have much confidence in the stock gauges anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
You'll be more then fine roadie, as a matter of fact this might help to even up a race with a hemi :lol: They need all the advantage they can get... 8)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts